[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

1 hour ago, Abpilot said:

lol i would like the exotic mater to charge a hell of a lot faster than me having to do 5,000 kerbin orbits for a jool/lythe mission.:confused:

You can have a cookie.  I'm always amazed what people choose to make as their first posts on a forum.

have_a_cookie_by_dannys_angel.jpg

Edited by goldenpsp

What would happen if you put more than one warp drive on a ship? So say I have a huge long skinny ship that won't fit in the warp bubble of one drive, if I spaced our two, would it work? Or would parts still explode?

On 7/3/2017 at 5:56 PM, Beale said:

A lot of fun!

hF9ddxM.png TKS-Interkosmos
i5L2IJp.png Away we go!
ZiwMxtU.png No chance of entering orbit in any normal way, not with tiny monopropellant engines.

(You know it is bad when the Delta-V requirement goes into two-lines).

LKIDAYp.png A pretty view though.

@RoverDude are you interested to expand this further? I would love to create a warp-drive in an intermediate (1.25m) form.
Maybe a fixed-ring type, extending out towards 3.75m.

v92jTbD.png

Sure, always happy to take pull requests

On 23.7.2017 at 5:22 AM, TronX33 said:

What would happen if you put more than one warp drive on a ship? So say I have a huge long skinny ship that won't fit in the warp bubble of one drive, if I spaced our two, would it work? Or would parts still explode?

Bad things. I tried.

Maybe this has been answered somewhere.. but when I install community tech tree, my problem is (aside from having tons of empty nodes) it's not showing up in the node that is called in the CCT.cfg file. ultraHighEnergyPhysics.. Do i need to do something specific?

6 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Maybe this has been answered somewhere.. but when I install community tech tree, my problem is (aside from having tons of empty nodes) it's not showing up in the node that is called in the CCT.cfg file. ultraHighEnergyPhysics.. Do i need to do something specific?

Is this in a new game or an old one from before you installed either ctt or warp drive? KSP doesn't handle changing the tech tree mid game very well.

4 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Is this in a new game or an old one from before you installed either ctt or warp drive? KSP doesn't handle changing the tech tree mid game very well.

Started it about 3 hours before hand.. that may be the problem then. I'll give it a go in a new game and see if it works.. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit) Hmm... nope.. still not there. I don't know what's up >.<

Edited by Talavar

Nothing I do is working.. even without the Community tech tree, it doesnt default to "experimentalScience" like it's supposed to. It's as if it's not even installed. >.<

(edit) Totally Bizarre.. I just redownloaded it and reinstalled it, and it worked..  (-.-)   ... lol

Edited by Talavar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 9:28 PM, Mrcarrot said:

@RoverDude-Here is a cfg allowing the warp drives to use Unobtainium from The Gold Standard by @Dewar at a 1:1 ratio converting into ExoticMatter. You can change up the cfg to your liking, although I guess you would already know how to do that, being a KSP dev.

The better approach would be to have The Gold Standard carry your config. Most players likely won't use these mods together so it's not worth it to have Alcubierre Drive include this in itself. Granted that Unobtanium is probably an incredibly dense resource I'd like to point out that the 1:1 conversion rate would be incredibly lossy. Some high amount of EC should still be involved too. Unobtanium is not going to crack itself into other materials.

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The better approach would be to have The Gold Standard carry your config. Most players likely won't use these mods together so it's not worth it to have Alcubierre Drive include this in itself. Granted that Unobtanium is probably an incredibly dense resource I'd like to point out that the 1:1 conversion rate would be incredibly lossy. Some high amount of EC should still be involved too. Unobtanium is not going to crack itself into other materials.

I see. Well, maybe Unobtainium is ExoticMatter.

17 hours ago, RoverDude said:

No, ExoticMatter is ExoticMatter with a clear CRP definition.  And probably better to use a converter, etc. than override the behavior of the warp drive without a really good reason.

I still feel like it's unrealistic to synthesize matter out of nothing but electricity. Maybe mining for ExoticMatter?

27 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

I still feel like it's unrealistic to synthesize matter out of nothing but electricity. Maybe mining for ExoticMatter?

Except that's incorrect, xenon gas is also required to operate the drive.  And I would not put forth unobtanium in any argument referring to something as unrealistic :wink: 

Mod is not going to change, so I think we can put this dead horse to bed.

7 minutes ago, theSpeare said:

@RoverDude I 100% fully appreciate the reasons why you want to keep the mod as-is, but is there any chance you could please promote a MM patch to achieve the requested "mine for ExoticMatter" feature?

Why would he need to promote it?  It’s available above if you want to use it BUT it would be wise not to ask for any support in the thread if you choose to do so. 

5 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Why would he need to promote it?  It’s available above if you want to use it BUT it would be wise not to ask for any support in the thread if you choose to do so. 

Glad someone else said something. I was trying to think of a forum safe way of saying what I was thinking.

Seriously, RD had made his position clear. If you want to play with some patch converting the drive, go for it, but don't expect support from RD. Stopping before I get sweary.

9 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

My config only makes it possible to convert Unobtainium into ExoticMatter. You would have to mine the very rare unobtainium first, no direct mining of ExoticMatter.

45 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

My config only makes it possible to convert Unobtainium into ExoticMatter. You would have to mine the very rare unobtainium first, no direct mining of ExoticMatter.

RD can correct me if I’m wrong but here is how I see things. RD made certain design decisions in creating this mod. One of them is that EM is not minable and nothing converts to EM. If you want to do either you can mod your game to permit this. RD may change his mind in the future, although I think this is unlikely, but it won’t be in the near future as he stated he was tired of beating a dead horse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.