[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

@RoverDude Pull request sent.

I didn't get to test this a whole whole lot. Did a few runs to Laythe, went to Tylo, back to Kerbin from Jool, and out to Eeloo. It seems pretty good. The change is pretty simple so I'm not concerned about it breaking anything.

Of note for people who want to ModuleManager their .cfgs to make things to their liking. minMaxSpeed does allow you to disable the brakes; set it to a value just under where your turbo would kick in. Turbo will still kick in at the same point away from the  primary gravitational body.

8 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

that would work :P maybe just your large origional scaled up to 3.75  would be amazing :D 

I have a 3.75m in ZZZ's form-factor. The bubble is huge.

@helaeon - Thanks :)  I am off to a conference next week, so rolling out goodies before I go, figure I can handle any hotfixes in the downtime or when I get back.  Did you include the 3.75 in the pack?  If not, toss me a config and we can make sure it makes it in :D

Hey all, me again..

So, I have successfully created a warp craft and it will warp with no explosions, etc.  

Please bare with me as I attempt to explain my KSP career and I promise, I will get to a question.

1.)  I have a stock KSP setup; however I am using GPP as a secondary and I have little Role Playing going on where someone has discoverer something before our known.  Part of the 'exploration' is that the kerbals are slowly moving out of Kerbin and setting up self sustaining bases on they move further and further out. 

2.) To assist with the burden of LS and Habitation, we are using conventional rocket technology to place FTL beacons, then from that point.  We use FTL to get from "A" to "B" ,etc.  We have some pretty solid communications from Kerbin all the way into Jool.  [just exploring Jool now]

3.) I think I am going to come across an issue when we attempt to go out beyond eeloo,  Even If I can get an unmanned craft to warp out to GPP, I think we will loose comms, so do I use the Warp Drive to setup a beacon for setting up comm relays between Kerbin system and GPP or does anyone have any other suggestions?

@gamerscircle To stick with the role playing thing... You'd have to set up some kind of warp relay in reality if you're wanting to do comms between star-systems. EM radiation is limited by speed of light concerns as well (so, you're looking at years between star systems. Even to Mars you're looking at a 20 minute delay, Neptune an hour and a half), so if you want comms you'll need FTL which means craft that sends a physical packet and that physical packet has its own warp drive or the beacons warp space between them (like the Mass Relays in Mass Effect). You'd have band width concerns between relays, then you'd use regular comms from beacon to ship. Other way would be with some kind of qbit entanglement thing but that would have even more limitations. You're looking at an all-new technology here regular comms aren't going to get it done.
Warp ships between systems will have to be manned and they will be out of comms contact between systems, and systems likely not in contact with each other except when a warp thing shows up with data. We're talking like old-school mail delivery to bring the news.

On 1/9/2018 at 10:59 PM, TheKurgan said:

Question, is there a way to have the bubble guide off by default?

I think the bubble guide being on by default in the vab and the effect in flight are both controlled in the plug-in. I think the warp effect and the color changing bubble is made using the plug-in. RD wrote all that before I was involved, just remembering what I thought I saw when scrolling through the code. Frankly I'm not totally sure what the bubble model in the part config references or creates in game (I think that might be the bubble guide for the VAB). I haven't broken it, see what doesn't work, then fixed it to know for sure.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:29 PM, xandertifft54321 said:

Is there some config I could change to disable the failsafe? I kinda want to just warp off the planet.

On 1/19/2018 at 2:35 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

No one who respects how warp drives work is going to help you there, sorry. :D 

I should have said something about this when I looked in the thread yesterday...
Making it let you warp off the planet is a fairly trivial change to make... having it let you warp off the planet without mathematical weirdness... not going to happen. I made a lot of mathematical choices with the understanding I would never have to deal with certain altitudes (very low ones) in regards to the brakes. It's very very possible that even if you set the correct value to over-ride the fail safe that you wouldn't go anywhere... you might warp into the ground... or you might burn up in the atmosphere... but I do know I was dealing with the assumption that the failsafe was always there to prevent weirdness as orbit radius / planet radius approached 1, because as many powers and logs as I used... weird weird stuff should start happening.

Agree w/Helaeon on this one :)  There are assumptions that can be made when we know you're not on a planet.  Extreme, unsupported weirdness would likely happen if that were changed.

Karbonite/Karbonite Plus have some nice torch and fusion drives that are a nice complement and may solve your use case.

19 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Agree w/Helaeon on this one :)  There are assumptions that can be made when we know you're not on a planet.  Extreme, unsupported weirdness would likely happen if that were changed.

Karbonite/Karbonite Plus have some nice torch and fusion drives that are a nice complement and may solve your use case.

But fusion drives only work in vacuum? I'm trying to build a small plane with a warp drive, if I teleport it into space it works wonderfully. (thanks to your nuclear reactors) But the problem is getting it out of atmo and to 900Km, I know I couldn't fit enough LFO onto it to make it that high, and air breathing jets... don't exactly work in space. 

On 12/30/2017 at 7:39 PM, capi3101 said:

The dev version has got three new 'z-model' parts: a 1 meter, 2.5 meter and 3.75 meter engine.

Specifics - the old parts are still there and they are more efficient insofar as the consumption of consumables is concerned, while the new parts fit inside fairings much more readily. In the dev version, all the engines share the same set of failsafe altitudes, which is one-half a planetary radius; a "braking factor" has been added that slows the drive down considerably in close proximity to failsafe (I've found that the data I provided in my earlier navigation guide is still very much usable in the dev version). Depletion of consumables has been stepped up considerably as well; I can only speak about stock power consumption, but adequate power for the drive's operation has gone from 4 RTGs in the current release version to a number of Fuel Cell Arrays in the dev version, with the number you need dependent on the engine you're using. My understanding is that if you're using community power sources, the electrical charge requirement is far greater; somebody else may need to fill you in there (I'd appreciate that information for the sake of my own knowledge, actually).

How do you get to the dev version?

17 hours ago, RocketRaccoon said:

How do you get to the dev version?

https://github.com/helaeon/WarpDrive it's on my github, you'll need to use the green clone or download button, then use the For_Release folder in the zip it gives you similarly to any other mod zip you'd download (merge gamedata with gamedata). Though in this case I'd suggest deleting your existing USI Warpdrive folder first and dropping this one in new. I didn't move anything around but I did add some stuff and changed all the configs so good to start clean just in case.

Hello, I am experiencing issues with this mod, and I was wondering if anyone could help. I recently installed this for my game, and put it into gamedata. It doesn't work* apparently. If this is not compatible for 1.3.1, that would be my answer. I will now attempt using a previous version of KSP. Does anyone have any suggestions?

*By that I mean it doesn't even come up in my parts list. 

Hello, I am experiencing issues with this mod, and I was wondering if anyone could help. I recently installed this for my game, and put it into gamedata. It doesn't work* apparently. If this is not compatible for 1.3.1, that would be my answer. I will now attempt using a previous version of KSP. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Triskilion said:

it works fine, but you may have the wrong version, go a few pages back to get the right one and double check your dir install.

Please excuse my incompetence, but how exactly does one send a screenshot here? Lol I'm sorry. As you can tell I'm new to forums. However, my gamedata folder consists of Kerbal Engineer, MechJeb2, Near Future Electrical, Squad (duh), Trajectories 1.7.1, and Warp Drive_0.7.00 which I downloaded from here:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/WarpDrive/releases/tag/0.7.0.0

3 hours ago, Triskilion said:

Please excuse my incompetence, but how exactly does one send a screenshot here? Lol I'm sorry. As you can tell I'm new to forums. However, my gamedata folder consists of Kerbal Engineer, MechJeb2, Near Future Electrical, Squad (duh), Trajectories 1.7.1, and Warp Drive_0.7.00 which I downloaded from here:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/WarpDrive/releases/tag/0.7.0.0

save to a picture hosting site (Imgur.com is very nice and easy).  Link here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.