[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

19 minutes ago, HelloMaxxo said:

it has been like that ever since i started putting mods on it, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯\

Screenshot_6.png

Regardless, it is wrong and things won't work.  While DLL's in mods don't care, parts and configs rely on the exact path being correct.  Whenever you see a mod where the zip file contains a "gamedata " folder you want to put the CONTENTS of that gamedata folder into your KSP gamedata folder.

22 minutes ago, HelloMaxxo said:

it has been like that ever since i started putting mods on it, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯\

Yeah... that's completely wrong.  Also your KSP version is too old, no guarantee it will even work.  1.11.x

Everything that is in the 'second'  gamedata (the folder containing the warp drive and others) should be in the gamedata were you see 'Squad' and 'Planetarybaseinc'.

You cannot have a gamedata folder inside gamedata.

46 minutes ago, modus said:

Everything that is in the 'second'  gamedata (the folder containing the warp drive and others) should be in the gamedata were you see 'Squad' and 'Planetarybaseinc'.

You cannot have a gamedata folder inside gamedata.

now i get it, thanks

Is it possible to remove warp bubble while retracted?

I've started playing with the stand-alone warp drive engines. I'm finally getting the hang of operating these and I'm not expending in excess of 30 km/s at my destinations anymore.

However, launching these things is nearly impossible from the launch pad or runway with how drag is handled, and it doesn't seem to make a difference whether Ferram Aerospace is installed. I might have a possible solution though.

Let's take a look at another Roverdude add-on, the Medusa nuclear pulse engine. Here's the thing fully retracted while under construction. Note the cross section values:

NX34ZiS.png

So far, so normal. I could build a rocket around this, and I have, to get it to orbit. Now if I tried launching it fully extended:

8SHqqsB.png

Forget this. It would be like trying to launch a giant kite. In addition, while fully extended, other foldable parts such as antennas, solar panels and radiators will not extend, and the game will claim they are 'stowed.' Extendable antennas also stop working entirely. But at least I can overcome all of those problems by just retracting the Medusa's sail.

Let's compare with the 2.5 m warp drive:

14P7LoQ.png

The entire warp bubble is treated as a solid object with respect to drag, and foldable objects inside the bubble are treated as 'stowed.' Trying to launch this thing to orbit is like trying to launch a giant beach ball, and there is no difference in behaviour between an active warp engine and an inactive one. There is also no way to toggle the active vs inactive mode during construction.

What I'm suggesting is treating the warp bubble similarly to the Medusa's sail, at least with respect to drag, if at all possible. It might also be nice to see the extended vs retracted states of the engine during construction.

Finally here's the 3.75 m engine.

LJM5OUy.png

This is just an even larger beach ball. I'd almost need to expend 5 km/s and keep my TWR barely above one to get this thing to the upper atmosphere, never mind to orbit. I've even tried stowing it in a 5 m fairing, and I've tried the Hangars add-on, which thinks the thing is just way too big to fit.

Is there perhaps a way to adapt the Medusa extend / retract functionality to the warp engines? Sure I'd expect any retractable objects to be considered 'stowed' while the engine is active, but that's OK. I'd at least be able to fit the warp drives inside a fairing to get them to orbit.

--

Best way to see something sorted is to either (a) do a PR (in this case, possibly a custom drag cube/cubes, though I have no idea if that will work for FAR), or (b) log a github issue (or comment on an existing issues) since that's where I go when working on the different mods to see what else to toss in.

Thanks for taking  a quick look.  I'll post an issue there when I get a chance, as I have no C# coding experience or modelling experience to try to make the changes myself.

If the drag cubes are changed, FAR should adapt on its own as it uses voxels around the surface of the drag cubes. I wouldn't worry about that. The stock 'stowed' parts problem is something that should be reproducible even in an otherwise stock game.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Clarification

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, wkwied said:

@RoverDude it has been a good long while since I had dabbled in KSP, and I'm wondering if you have added something similar to the auto circularize that KSPIE has for this part. If not, do you think that is still on the table?

Thanks

Nope, IMO one of the balancing factors of this drive is sorting how to handle the whole circularization bit :)

On 5/26/2021 at 6:03 PM, wkwied said:

I'm wondering if you have added something similar to the auto circularize that KSPIE has for this part.

If you time your launch right, and draw a straight line from the sun through your origin and destination, you can use the angular momentum mode to get a handle on the delta-v requirement. Then you only have to worry about inclination for the most part.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, NateTheGreat said:

can you help me with changing the config

there we go now, can you help me please?

If you want to actually muck with someone's mod to change it from their vision of it, you're probably gonna mostly be on your own.  It's a good learning experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.