[1.11.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

• 1 month later...

Just tried this mod and I can assert its absolutely phenomenal with galaxies unbound 

that being said does anyone have any tips for actually getting into orbit of another panet without burning a huge amount of deltaV? Usually I’m passing by way too fast to slow down.

3 hours ago, Dobelong said:

Just tried this mod and I can assert its absolutely phenomenal with galaxies unbound 

that being said does anyone have any tips for actually getting into orbit of another panet without burning a huge amount of deltaV? Usually I’m passing by way too fast to slow down.

The trick is to put yourself on a trajectory directly towards or directly away from Kerbol at relatively close range, then watch your relative speed to target (the target being where it is you want to go). When you're at a relative velocity close to the orbital velocity at your destination, you can warp there directly. If your relative velocity starts to creep upward again, you can either warp from there or reposition yourself over Kerbol such that the relative velocity starts to go back down again. 

I have a YouTube video on navigating with the mod that's a few years old now; largely still applicable. I'll have to find the link again...

EDIT: Here we go. I apologize for the quality; at the time I recorded it on the best terminal I had available to me...which was my work computer. Not designed for gaming even back then. Can't play KSP on it any more...

The stock power requirements have increased significantly since the video was made, incidentally. You can read about those in the video's comments.

Edited by capi3101

53 minutes ago, Dobelong said:

It seems that the 0.625m drive generates huge amounts of drag even when stowed in a cargo bay or fairing. Is this intentional or a bug?

Bug. Been there a while. Not just the 0.625m drive. The Alcubierre Drive doesn't handle atmo well at all - had an Alcubierre-equipped probe (0.625 meter engine again) that I attempted to deorbit once. Thing sped up when it hit the atmo until it blew up. Tried the flight again with a pair of 10 meter heat shields attached. Slowed down until it stopped slowing down, then the stupid thing held velocity until the heat shields exploded, then it sped up again anyway...

It's called "exotic matter" for a reason, I guess...

Not sure if I ever reported the behavior or not. That was a few versions back and when it happened I failed to grab my log file; no log file, tough dooky (as it should be).

EDIT: I made the exotic matter quip as a joke, but out of curiousity does it do the same thing if you empty the tank first?

Edited by capi3101

38 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Bug. Been there a while. Not just the 0.625m drive. The Alcubierre Drive doesn't handle atmo well at all - had an Alcubierre-equipped probe (0.625 meter engine again) that I attempted to deorbit once. Thing sped up when it hit the atmo until it blew up. Tried the flight again with a pair of 10 meter heat shields attached. Slowed down until it stopped slowing down, then the stupid thing held velocity until the heat shields exploded, then it sped up again anyway...

It's called "exotic matter" for a reason, I guess...

Not sure if I ever reported the behavior or not. That was a few versions back and when it happened I failed to grab my log file; no log file, tough dooky (as it should be).

EDIT: I made the exotic matter quip as a joke, but out of curiousity does it do the same thing if you empty the tank first?

Ah, I didn't consider that exotic matter might be the problem. I'll have to give that a try. 
Edit: It's not possible to drain exoticmatter before launch, and draining xenon didn't change anything. The drag is still extremely high.
Just curious, has anyone else replicated this situaiton (trying to get a warp drive to orbit in a mk2 cargo bay or a fairing using something with fairly low TWR like an SSTO?)

Edited by Dobelong
Tested the drive as said

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 11:16 AM, Dobelong said:

Just curious, has anyone else replicated this situaiton (trying to get a warp drive to orbit in a mk2 cargo bay or a fairing using something with fairly low TWR like an SSTO?)

I gave up on that some time ago, and got another add-on to build the things in orbit:

Spoiler