[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

g25Oera.png

Animated warp effect:

Inroducing a new, stand-alone Alcubierre drive for KSP!

What does it do?

The Alcubierre drive works by moving space around your ship, not through accelleration. In KSP we do this by changing your vessels position based on the engine throttle controls for the warp engine. Speeds of up to 16 times the speed of light are possible.

How does it work?

Use massive amounts of electric charge to create Exotic Matter. Point at your target. Use Exotic Matter and Xenon Gas (the latter is for the maneuver thrusters) to go straight to the target. Note that since your velocity does not change, only your location, you will have to compensate for any orbital speed differences. This can be excessive (15K+ DV) or, with proper planning, next to zero.

To be clear. This is NOT just a fast, efficient engine. There is no acceleration (other than a tiny amount from the maneuver thrusters). It works through translating the ship's position (simulating how a real Alcubierre drive might work).

What's the catch? How is this not OP?

You will still need either very careful navigation or excessive DV changes to achieve orbit. Also, because of the destructive nature of the warp bubble, parts outside of it (both on your own ship and others) will be destroyed. Warp bubble collapses are also destructive, and maneuvering at excessive warp speeds can be very dangerous (everything from losing control through parts of your ship slipping outside of the bubble and exploding).

What other mods do I need?

None. Really. The only dependency is Regolith which is needed for it's converter (used to make Exotic Matter from EC).

What other parts do I need to support this?

Stock only. Really. Near Future Technologies reactors, or reactors from the USI mods will make some things easier, but you can get away with a completely stock warp ship with just the addition of this part.

Can this support [mod X]?

If you want integration with other mods, tell your favorite modders to ping me. I am very open to collaboration :)

LICENSE:

Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license.

Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)

Download Here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/WarpDrive/releases

Edited by RoverDude

Fantastic, could you also make it work it KSP Intestellars tech tree? I feel that it would be OP if it's available too early.

How does this Alcubiere drive compare with the Alcubiere drive in KSPI?

If someone else wants to share an MM to move this into KSPI's tech tree, rock on. I will be placing it in the Community Tech Tree since there's a tier 12 node in there already. It's fallback is one of the experimental nodes right now.

Comparison wise, given I have never used the KSPI Alcubierre drive, I'll leave that as an exercise for other posters to help with ;)

Hi again,

seems the download button redirects to the source files?

Regards

Fixed

Does anyone know of a tutorial on the efficient method for using an AD. Like being able to jump between two planets without having to expend thousands of kilometers of dV? Either with this one of the KSPI. I believe they function the same but run off of different fuel types.

Does anyone know of a tutorial on the efficient method for using an AD. Like being able to jump between two planets without having to expend thousands of kilometers of dV? Either with this one of the KSPI. I believe they function the same but run off of different fuel types.

THe Trick (At least with KSPI) is to make los of short jumps tangentially around the planet you want to orbit at low warp speed, This will give you some horizontal velocity in addition to your vertical velocity upon stopping.

For some reason when I see the word "Wap", I thought of something cute. But when I google it, nothing is cute about it.

Anyway, I hope there are wifi on jool to run this drive.:P

On a more serious note, can you use multiple drives to extend the bubble?

heh, fixed ;)

No, bubbles cannot be extended (I was considering it but decided not to for a few reasons).

That being said, there will be alternate versions with different bubble sizes and stack sizes, but also with different limitations (mostly in the form of top speed and resource consumption)

[...]and maneuvering at excessive warp speeds can be very dangerous (everything from losing control through parts of your ship slipping outside of the bubble and exploding).
Well, as my Grandma always says: Faster than light, no left or right!

Not sure what keeps happening, but any craft I place this drive on disassembles itself on the launchpad. The last craft I built was: Mk. 1-2 Pod, OSI Alcubierre Drive, Jumbo-64 tank, TVR-400L Quad Adapter, 4x Toroidal Aerospike engines, 4x TT-70 radial decouplers, 4x BACC boosters. On the launchpad, the SRBs fall rigt of the decouplers ONLY with the drive attached. Vehicle works fine without the drive. Any one else have a similar problem? Obligatory Log File https://www.dropbox.com/s/fshs8d022v1yj6c/KSP.log?dl=0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.