[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

I'd love some Warp effects like the ones in the Star Trek Reboots if you make Warp Drives similar to those in Star Trek. Also, If kerbals go on EVA, they're thrown out and left behind. Tough Love.

If a Kerbal went on EVA while the sip was in warp, the Kerbal would simply float around outside the ship. Now, if he exited the warp bubble while on EVA, he'd be left behind.

500? I departed from a 300 km Kerbin orbit.

Likely a config typo that I will fix in the next patch.

If a Kerbal went on EVA while the sip was in warp, the Kerbal would simply float around outside the ship. Now, if he exited the warp bubble while on EVA, he'd be left behind.

Right now said Kerbal would fly away and die. The bubble does not move all bits inside of it, just the ship.

How easy would it be to re-scale this part to fit into the CSS carobay?

Just a config edit ;) I personally won't be doing that as I am happy with this model's size, but you folks are free to do whatever.

I concur on the current form factor. It's a potentially very capable drive, it seems only fair that it be a challenge to use. Using Procedural Fairings lofting my ship into orbit was a doddle, though I admit fixed fairings might pose more of a challenge.

I really like this mod. Simple and balanced. And it's working.

Already made a video for it:

I have a ship in orbit ready for testing. the video gives me some good ideas on how to use the drive. Reaching another planet should not be hard but getting into orbit with all the velocity might be a problem.

@Space Scumbag - could probably do that with existing functionality and some creative config editing.

@sober667 - Ferram4 seemed to have no issue using this with FAR ;)

FAR may not have issues with it, but I challenge everyone here to build it into a working SSTO space-plane.

perhaps my calculations are wrong but compaired to KSP Instellar, this Warp engine is a lot more more energy efficent than KSPI warp engines. In KSPI , it requires 1000 Megajoules (1000.000 Units of ElectricCharge) of energy to produce 1 unit of Exotic Matter. USI WarpDrive only requires 10.000 Units of ElectricCharge to produce 1 unit of Exotic Matter. That's a 100 times less !!!

Edited by FreeThinker

@bacom_commando - no tweakscale for a lot of reasons. If smaller ones show up (or larger ones) they will have unique constraints.

@Mekanik I expect someone will figure it out soon enough ;) Or just do it jedi-style and dock with that ship component in orbit.

@FreeThinker - awesome :D

0.0.4 is up!

• Updated Regolith DLL
  • Added Community Tech Tree support!
  • Added a translucent 'guide' to show the area of effect of the warp bubble
  • Included resource for ExoticMatter (fixed a loading issue)
  • Tweaked ISP, added an EC requirement
  • Adjusted minimum altitude to 500KM
  • Slowed animation of warp bubble, brightened and blended colors more
  • Automatically stiffen joints on bubble activation, relax on deactivation (less explosions - if your ship still blows up due to link failures, add struts).
  • Smoothed out accelleration
  • Changed display to be both M/S as well as percent of lightspeed
  • Added in max accelleration/decelleration values (watch out for this - no more insta-stop)
  • Added KSP-AVC support
  • Engines now require EC for operation

Instead of a hard limit can you make the engine burn excessive amounts of fuel the closer to the planet it gets?

500km fuel usage = 1

100km fuel usage = 100

Dynamic ISPs - while possible - kinda go against the scope a bit. So if anything I'd likely scale the cutoff based on planet size.

And what about limit the throttle instead?

>500km = 100% max throttle

between 500 and 100 = max throttle decrease with altitude

<100km = drive unactivable

values are examples of course

Depends. What problem are we trying to solve? The reason it even has a lockout range is because the drives are stupidly dangerous, so it's a safety thing. They were never designed to be used for atmospheric use. (If folks disagree, it's just a config edit).

Side note... three new drives in the works. New models, unique capabilities and limitations.

Side note... three new drives in the works. New models, unique capabilities and limitations.

Oh, that's very exciting. I love the current model but as someone who uses B9 HX parts a surprising amount, it's just not big enough (and I've never been one for tweakscale - don't like the greeble that should remain a fixed size gets scaled with the rest of the model etc).

Oh, that's very exciting. I love the current model but as someone who uses B9 HX parts a surprising amount, it's just not big enough (and I've never been one for tweakscale - don't like the greeble that should remain a fixed size gets scaled with the rest of the model etc).

Plans are for:

0.625m probe-sized (foldable, inferior ISP tiny bubble and lots of fuel storage)

1.25m (foldable, subluminal, smallish bubble, but very good ISP)

3.75/5m (subluminal, bulky, poor ISP but massive bubble and large fuel storage)

Plans are for:

0.625m probe-sized (foldable, inferior ISP tiny bubble and lots of fuel storage)

1.25m (foldable, subluminal, smallish bubble, but very good ISP)

3.75/5m (subluminal, bulky, poor ISP but massive bubble and large fuel storage)

awesome to hear

is any plan to make something for Mk2 spaceplanes? (or we just need to mess around within 1.25m )

Any chance of adding something to the mod to increase light speed beyond 1.6 ?. sort of like a module that increases cap speed?. just an idea for people who want to travel at ultra speed for fun :)

I believe you mean ultra speed for death. And it's already editable via the config.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.