[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

I seriously had to find this after finally setting up all my solar sats in kspi so I could pull 3-400 GW of power for my warp drive. Well there goes my save and half of the reason I still use kspi, the other half is the power beaming.

Tell me what you need the power beaming for ;)

I've been asked a couple of times to also do something like that as well, I just don't have a use case for it yet.

I've been asked a couple of times to also do something like that as well, I just don't have a use case for it yet.

Well, its usefull for spacecraft that need a lot of power, but don't want to carry heavy reactors or huge amount of solar panels around

Basically it let people build heavy power stations in orbit and the operate power hungry ships, aircraft, or rovers without the need to cover the thing in heavy batteries or reactors. Would be nice to have for Near Future's energy eating electric propulsion (that I use anyway lol) but for your mods I am not sure there is much that it would really effect since most of your stuff is either heavy base (where losing power is a very bad thing if the power station breaks connection) or very heavy lifter ships with a reactor I wouldn't mind using for powering other things, but not really the ship itself :P

EDIT: A specific use case would be the Career Contract System with Fine Print. Some of those Deploy Sat contracts take alot of juice to put into the orbits they want. You could save yourself alot of funds building a smaller probe & beaming it power for advanced ion drives. Then use it for the next Sat contract without having to launch another power system.

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

Ok. Gimme a few weeks and I'll whip up a power transfer system.

Wewt. :cool:

It is the one thing i miss from KSPI. Building dozens of solar satellites and dropping them into a low orbit around the sun and beaming back terawatts of power. Setting up power relays to hit the dark spots. And powering all manner of probes/crafts without having to build in those heavy reactor/batteries that kill my TWR.

Nertea has mentioned wanting to do it more than once, but it is always a back burner item. "Someday perhaps."

Hey sorry to keep asking but how do you make the warp bubble bigger?

I found this

BubbleSize = 400

But chaning it to that number had no effect?

And before you say anything about cheating... I just want to be fit my space shuttle XD

That's one huge space shuttle then, given I can sneak a small freighter in there.

Changing the config does not reflect in the model.

And as always.. bear in mind the intent is to have bubble size as a limiting balance factor, but do what you wish with configs, tho I'd recommend MM instead of direct editing since I change things and horrible things may happen.

I thought i posted this before, but it's clearly not here so i'll post it again.

On the subject of different sized warp-rings, instead of, (or additionally) to large sublight rings wouldn't you want to do a very large set for long rang interstellar missions? like a colony ship going to another galaxy?

Also, curious were the colorful inspiration for the warp effect came from.

I thought i posted this before, but it's clearly not here so i'll post it again.

On the subject of different sized warp-rings, instead of, (or additionally) to large sublight rings wouldn't you want to do a very large set for long rang interstellar missions? like a colony ship going to another galaxy?

Also, curious were the colorful inspiration for the warp effect came from.

Perhaps in the future, but I would prefer alot of other features come first before something like other galaxies, that stuff would take a helluva long time to do

Not sure 1.6x light speed would be sufficient to even visit the nearest star system for this warp drive. Considering "Our" nearest star is a little over 4 light years away and since this warp drive works on translation instead of velocity you have to have it powered up for the entire journey. So simulating that journey even at 4x physical time acceleration and at 1.6x light speed you would have to leave the game running for at least 6 months before you arrived at the nearest star system if there was one to visit :P Now traveling to another galaxy you would need an engine that could achieve 2.5 million times light speed just to reach our nearest galaxy Andromeda in 12 months time. Heck I have very little experience using this mod, but even using it as primary engine to travel from Kerbin to Jool would take at least 4 hours nearest approach at 4x physical time warp according to my rough calculations.

Bear in mind that no mod I am aware of deals with those kinds of distances, since unity gets downright wonky due to floating point precision issues.

Show me a mod where there's a use case for faster speed and we'll talk ;) as it is I can go anywhere in the kerbal system in under five minutes.

Bear in mind that no mod I am aware of deals with those kinds of distances, since unity gets downright wonky due to floating point precision issues.

Show me a mod where there's a use case for faster speed and we'll talk ;) as it is I can go anywhere in the kerbal system in under five minutes.

Some of the old Planet Factory creations had enough of an "interstellar journey" to justify it. But that whole set of projects appear to have been abandoned before 0.25. Probobly due to the issues with memory limits more than floating point errors. KSC may use unity but they had to build their own coordinate system to deal with unities 7 digit limit. Probobly why ships crossing SOI interfaces at high warp (game warp not FTL) can sometimes end up in odd places lol

Still you have a point :P

Also. If it took you four hours to get to jool you are either using some other mod or doing something horribly wrong.

I said limited experience. I've never tried to take a ship striaght to Jool from Kerbin using the warp drive. I just rechecked my "rough" math and I had 1 extra zero :P Still my numbers hold for a real life stellar and galactic journeys.. Although if one was to have another star system in a game they would probably put it a lot closer than 4 light years distance for balance reasons unless there was tech capable of higher speeds ;)

It may not be this mod, but is anyone else experiencing a bug that gives a sudden increase in mass of warp-capable ship, when you reload? The only updates I changed recently was this and TweakScale. I suspect TweakScale, but I wanted to check here as well to see if anyone else is experiencing it?

It may not be this mod, but is anyone else experiencing a bug that gives a sudden increase in mass of warp-capable ship, when you reload? The only updates I changed recently was this and TweakScale. I suspect TweakScale, but I wanted to check here as well to see if anyone else is experiencing it?

It is Tweak Scale. I suggest going back to 1.44 or 1.45 until the next update comes out.

Well i do know squad plans on adding other solar systems in the future. maybe you add this really big warp ring for ships to get there faster than 1.6 ?. and add a jump gate to use it with. (the jump gate sends you off and the warp drive keeps you going) ?

I said limited experience. I've never tried to take a ship striaght to Jool from Kerbin using the warp drive. I just rechecked my "rough" math and I had 1 extra zero :P Still my numbers hold for a real life stellar and galactic journeys.. Although if one was to have another star system in a game they would probably put it a lot closer than 4 light years distance for balance reasons unless there was tech capable of higher speeds ;)

I hear ya, problem I have been having (no offense) is people posting stuff without actually using the part. At this juncture, I can span the entire Kerbol system in four minutes. there's just zero reason to make this faster as it's only going to aggravate Unity's floating point issues. So it makes no sense to prematurely optimize something for a condition that doesn't even exist.

Well i do know squad plans on adding other solar systems in the future. maybe you add this really big warp ring for ships to get there faster than 1.6 ?. and add a jump gate to use it with. (the jump gate sends you off and the warp drive keeps you going) ?

See above. I have heard no plans for new star systems from Squad, but if something does in fact materialize, I'll adjust accordingly. We also already have jump beacons ;) And that would be a different mechanic anyway.

Everytime I get a flameout with the warpdrive, I can't activate the engine when the ressources are full again :(

Version? This was a bug in an early release but should be corrected by 0.0.4

Dull boring geek mode on:

As with the AD in KSPI(L) the major issue is the fact that the exit point should be set (known) BEFORE you start to form the bubble. Actually, you should initially know where you would want to appear after the 'jump'. There's no translation or acceleration. At one point of time you are 'here' and in the other - you are 'there'. In this regard, hyperedit's way of relocating your craft is more 'technically accurate'. You could just use the same mechanism + add some cool visuals. Plus, a little bit of navigation error should be in order (i.e. you should appear slightly off to the location you intended and the more the distance of the jump is - the more should be the error - to the point that you could actually end up inside a planet which would obviously ruin your mission catastrophically).

Dull boring geek mode off

Disregarding the tiresome old bore above - great job!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.