[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

I hate to nitpick but, wasn't one of the reasons the warp drive became mathamatically possible because the rings weren't impossibly thin? aren't the probe rings a tad skinny? Also, you've made great progress in ironing out the bumps! I had practically no G spikes! I did have that one time crusing nicely at max speed were all my solar panels just exploded. That was a bummer.

Bah this game really annoys me, found a K+ asteroid with about 1k units, started mining. Quicksaved and jumped to another craft, then jumped back and the damn warp drive activated and blew up the fing roid....... It has been used but I have not staged it so ........

Figured out a work around, I went into the quicksave and changed the Warpdrive from not staged to staged, for some reason if it wasn't staged before you saved it stages when you reload it.....

Edited by Donziboy2

If this keeps up I will need a vacation from my vacation.....

So I launched a small warp ship to survey roids and take K+ if I found any. Well found a rock got some K+ and decided to head back to Kerbin to drop off the load. Soon as I hit Kerbins SOI I get a NaN error in logs and while I have the warp drive active or every time I activate it, it puts my Orbital Velocity to 0 and throws more errors at me....

Logs

KSP.log

output_log.txt

How are any of you taking a ship anywhere with this mod? I built a ship that's nothing but batteries and a nuclear reactor from near future electrical with a little xenon fuel. As soon as I advance the throttle, the .625m drive uses literally all electrical power and the ship blows up.

How are any of you taking a ship anywhere with this mod? I built a ship that's nothing but batteries and a nuclear reactor from near future electrical with a little xenon fuel. As soon as I advance the throttle, the .625m drive uses literally all electrical power and the ship blows up.

Turn off the exotic matter creator after you are done filling the tank or it will constantly suck 10k EC and things will go boom.

Lemme set up a clean build with just Regolith and Warp Drive installed, so I can give you more info and maybe an easy way to recreate it.

So far I have been unable to reproduce it with just Regolith and the Warp drive installed on a clean KSP :/

Its not the first time it happened to a craft so I was hoping it was something the could be reproduced easily....

Tried out the part for style and fit today (no flight though); it's nice, fairly stock, perhaps a little more heavily shaded than the IXS and Porkjet parts which have set the style for many near future mods now.

It slots in behind the magnificent IXS bridge beautifully, if you rotate it 90 degrees - otherwise the nacelles clip the corners of that cockpit.

Is this part meant to be translucent? I'd prefer the windows be the only see-through parts of my spacecraft.

The Warp-Drone Known as the "Mummy I wanna go home!" has successfully finished filling up the Exotic Matter Tank and is ready for its top secret mission, to find out what is beyond the Kerbol System! FOR SCIENCE!

screenshot0.png

The Image above shows the drones course out of the Kerbol system. Now lets hope the Kraken doesn't wan't a midnight snack!

EDIT: Ending this because its been almost 6 years later and the drone is still not even half way there. :P

screenshot2.png

Edited by Bacon_commando

I have two of suggestions:

1) Have the drive start with 0 exotic matter in it by default

2) Have a standalone generator and/or storage part that I can generate and store exotic matter in my stations so I don't need to do it directly on the ship

I have two of suggestions:

1) Have the drive start with 0 exotic matter in it by default

2) Have a standalone generator and/or storage part that I can generate and store exotic matter in my stations so I don't need to do it directly on the ship

(1) I'd be curious why, as it was just changed because of an opposite request ;)

(2) Storage is a balancing feature so not sure how I feel about it (though technically you could stack multiple drives to enhance storage at the cost of weight).

(1) I'd be curious why, as it was just changed because of an opposite request ;)

(2) Storage is a balancing feature so not sure how I feel about it (though technically you could stack multiple drives to enhance storage at the cost of weight).

If anything, I think it is a bit too easy right now to launch a ship and just fly anywhere in the kerbol system with this engine, yes the cost is high, but like Karbonundum, I think this much power is a bit much for the kerbals to just have sitting around in the warehouse.

What I had in mind was to make Exotic Matter somewhat difficult to get, almost requiring infrastructure to get from place to place easily. Sure, I might be able to send a probe to Jool, but unless I had a place there to refuel, it should be kind of hard just to fly back.

Say something like a cyclotron on a space station that creates exotic matter at the rate that the existing engine currently does it (and having a fuel station would need some kind of storage, thats why I asked for that part.)

I'm not even sure if I want the engine itself to be able to generate Exotic Matter. Possibly a set of generators in a few radial sizes that could generate Exotic Matter if you wanted to add it to the ship, but at a relatively low efficiency, and possibly from some other kind of fuel. Xenon?

If anything, I think it is a bit too easy right now to launch a ship and just fly anywhere in the kerbol system with this engine, yes the cost is high, but like Karbonundum, I think this much power is a bit much for the kerbals to just have sitting around in the warehouse.

What I had in mind was to make Exotic Matter somewhat difficult to get, almost requiring infrastructure to get from place to place easily. Sure, I might be able to send a probe to Jool, but unless I had a place there to refuel, it should be kind of hard just to fly back.

Say something like a cyclotron on a space station that creates exotic matter at the rate that the existing engine currently does it (and having a fuel station would need some kind of storage, thats why I asked for that part.)

I'm not even sure if I want the engine itself to be able to generate Exotic Matter. Possibly a set of generators in a few radial sizes that could generate Exotic Matter if you wanted to add it to the ship, but at a relatively low efficiency, and possibly from some other kind of fuel. Xenon?

If you use Karb+ you could always change the generator input to Karborundum instead of electric charge. That's what I did and now I'm off to try and harvest some. I'll have to park on a station to refuel my warp drives and still have to pay the ridiculous $1.5M part cost.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.