[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Well seems we have folks using things in a mutually exclusive way.

- For myself I want the ZZZ drives to be suitable for SSTOs, so that will happen. Especially the 1.25m and 2.5m versions, I think I'll figure the 3.75m to fill the same role. So they'll all have the same balance philosophy vs the USI drives with that in mind.

- I want to see what RoverDude does with the USI ones, so I'm going to balance the ZZZ versions against those for the in-system warp drives. So, for default it'll be for stock system.

- For interstellar travel or different scaled solar systems MM patches will be needed.

- I don't think there is a good way through configs to have a warp drive use non-trivial amounts of fuel in system if it's capable of interstellar travel as well. And each interstellar mod is implemented different so I can't even write a somewhat universal MM patch for that case (and I don't use them personally). One idea would be the more gravitation you feel total, the more fuel you need - so warping at 300km orbit of Eve would require more fuel than warping at 300km orbit of Duna, both due to the gravitational differences of the planets and proximity to the star. Could also have it that the ISP stays the same but the top warp speed scales with that total felt gravitation. I can think of at least one physics reason it may be so such a thing might happen, and either would work well for gameplay I think. Those would be the best ways I could think of to do a one size fits all warp-drive, such a change would be well after adding in these new models next weekend and only if RoverDude is on board as that would need to be a global change and one I'm not entirely sure how to implement off the top of my head.

WPENG730 do you have Regolith installed too and the current version? Check RoverDude's signature. Make sure you have the newest WarpDrive and install that first, then install the newest Regolith. It's very important that all the folders are in the right place too don't make them different than what RoverDude has in his zip. The cfgs explicitly give paths to certain assets (because we have to)

I'm quite familiar with mods, so I'm certain I've installed it correctly. Everything is in the same place. I tried manually downloading Regolith instead of the pre-packaged version, but it didn't help. Besides, the error is in CheckBubbleDeployment. A quick look in the source tells me that it outputs the CheckBubbleDeployment error if there's some sort of exception (I think).

in general from when Helaeon and I were working on a new feature for it the CheckBubbleDeployment was what was used to see if the bubble was deployed ie warping or not, and in editor to display the guide bubble. It would toss an exception if something went wrong but that should be all it does so if you are seeing an error then maybe something is interfering with the module checking for warp and its tossing out and exception.

I'm surprised this mod got updated this fast, thanks for your work man!

Well to be fair, Rover has had somewhat of an advantage as he has been directly working on aspects of the 1.0 release. So he probably had better access than some modders to the code ahead of time to get ready.

Im also pretty sure he is a cyborg who needs no sleep.

Well to be fair, Rover has had somewhat of an advantage as he has been directly working on aspects of the 1.0 release. So he probably had better access than some modders to the code ahead of time to get ready.

Im also pretty sure he is a cyborg who needs no sleep.

Amen to the cyborg part, the guy is AMAZING! All hail our cyborg overlord!

I've gotten past the game load issue, but none of the parts will load :'(

The moment I press the "Fly" button in the editor with any warp drive parts attached, the game will try to load, then fail miserably. The logs show everything is normal, usually crashing right after the game attempts to focus on the vessel containing this part. I've even tried this part just by its self, sitting on the launchpad, but the game still crashes. Anyone know any solutions? I have no idea what causes this.

I REALLY WANT TO USE THIS MOD IT LOOKS SO COOL D:

Alright everyone, because I said I would get them to you this weekend here are the ZZZ models packaged and configured for our USI Alcubierre Drive.

There are some differences but I didn't go as extreme as I was planning - mostly because the new reactors from Near Future Electrical aren't in place yet and I figured that stand alone with stock was more important at this point. There WILL be changes in the future, so, keep that in mind. Once things settle a bit I'll see about pushing these along to the official pack.

For this ZIP to work you need to have the current USI Alcubierre Drive installed!

DOWNLOAD LINK RIGHT HERE!

And for those that don't remember what these look like

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yeah, the Tech Tree. The "experimentalRocketry" node no longer exists. Only nodes with stock parts in do. May I suggest you put them in "experimentalElectrics" in the final tier of the tech tree (along with the rtg)

Also I found a small bug. If you have two Alcubierre drives on the same ship and use the thrust limiter so that they are running at different speeds, the force field thing will appear the same on both. Specifically it appears both use the colour you would expect from the one furthest from the root part. Although why you would want two on the same ship and run them at different powers I don't know.

(I was wondering if you could tear a ship apart by pointing them in opposite directions, then noticed this)

Yeah, the Tech Tree. The "experimentalRocketry" node no longer exists. Only nodes with stock parts in do. May I suggest you put them in "experimentalElectrics" in the final tier of the tech tree (along with the rtg)

Also I found a small bug. If you have two Alcubierre drives on the same ship and use the thrust limiter so that they are running at different speeds, the force field thing will appear the same on both. Specifically it appears both use the colour you would expect from the one furthest from the root part. Although why you would want two on the same ship and run them at different powers I don't know.

(I was wondering if you could tear a ship apart by pointing them in opposite directions, then noticed this)

Do not use two drives on the same ship. This is not designed for that and will cause destruction.

I'm surprised it didn't break the game. Your entire krakensbane frame is being moved based on the part. So with two I'm surprised it didn't get mad about the offset. Yeah use only one. It doesn't work like a normal KSP engine with forces and thrust, it picks up space and moves you quite literally.

I think it talks about use only one earlier in the thread... should probably say so in the description or the original post. Other thing is if you think you can extend your bubble by having 2 overlapping bubbles... nope. I think only the intersecting part of the bubble will survive.

So again, use only one Alcubierre Drive part at a time per ship. Thanks futrtrubl for getting here before me :)

Could it be possible to add something like "Fieldincreasers"?

I mean that it is possible to exoand the field (Natural with adding energyneed) To make bigger ships ?

IIRC the field size was set for balance reasons. IE, to limit the ships size to begin with.

Do not use two drives on the same ship. This is not designed for that and will cause destruction.
I'm surprised it didn't break the game. Your entire krakensbane frame is being moved based on the part. So with two I'm surprised it didn't get mad about the offset. Yeah use only one. It doesn't work like a normal KSP engine with forces and thrust, it picks up space and moves you quite literally.

I think it talks about use only one earlier in the thread... should probably say so in the description or the original post. Other thing is if you think you can extend your bubble by having 2 overlapping bubbles... nope. I think only the intersecting part of the bubble will survive.

It was actually completely stable, and it appeared to stack like any engine. And yeah, I know how Alcubierre drives are supposed to work, and roughly how it's being simulated in the game (i.e. pretty much exactly as it's supposed to work) and I was also surprised that nothing odd happened.

I only assumed it was designed to work because it did work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.