[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Hm I don't really get what Krakensbane is doing, but I just took a short look at the code at github in USI_ModuleWarpEngine.cs. Apparently to move the ship the current vessel position is taken and then krakensbane is moved to a new position based on old vessel position and and a jump distance based on the warpdrive operation. If this is working in a kerbol relative coordinate system wouldn't it be enough to just add the speed (multiplied by physics step) of the object I currently orbit to the ps vector in line 314? I guess if I am within the SOI of a moon this would actually be needed to be applied recursive to apply the speed of the planet too.

The thing I actually really like about this warp drive is the ability to make small precise course correction and directly see the new orbit (compared to the one from KSPI (last used version: KSPInterstellar-v0.11)), so enforcing a minimal throttle setting really does not sound appealing for me. Unfortunate without further guidance hints its very hard once the relative speed is low and the dirty old tricks like gravity adjusting extremely close to the sun and via extreme but precise (mechjeb landing guidline information) aerobrake maneuvers do no longer work because in both cases the ship is converted into a fiery ball of molten plasma :-), so precise control is more important than ever.

To really understand it you need to know the history behind krakensbane and why we have it. When other planetary bodies were added to the game and you tried to travel large distances, the velocity vector of each individual rigidbody (part) in your ship were subject to floating point errors. The further away you got from the origin of the scene the more pronounced the errors. This caused the pieces of your ship to be headed in slightly different directions at slightly different speeds due to these errors piling up - the original kraken slap. Which is what put me onto using Krakensbane to move our ship rather than setposition. As what the old kraken did sounded a lot like what was happening to our warp vessels. So Krakensbane, once your velocity goes over 750 m/s your ship becomes the center of the scene and the world moves around you. Everything moves in relation to your ship. You can see krakensbane being used as designed by the game when you change SOI (that's the G spike on scene changes). When the warp drive offsets the krakensbane frame we're offsetting the rest of the game space around the local physics frame and we do this repeatedly in real-time... this is obviously not how krakensbane was intended to be used. As a result we get some strange stuff like warping backwards at low throttle.

Serino and I originally started with what you were thinking... it didn't work. KSP does some goofy stuff behind the scenes to create the illusion that you're moving through space in an intuitive way. You "are" but the way the game is doing it is certainly not that simple unfortunately.

I do want to look into it. I'm hitting my busy season at work though so no promises. Right now my thought is set the minimum speed for the warp drive to say, 25,000 km/s. As soon as it turns on you go at least that fast. That should solve a lot of the backwards warping problems. When I have a bit I'll sit down and find the number where the backwards warping stops and set it just a bit higher than that. Then push it along if the tests go well.

I use this warp drive similarly to how you do, but I use the Angular Momentum mode and did a lot of the tests in that mode.

Edited by helaeon

IDEA (although other mods do this, they aren't balanced against your mod, and are kinda cheaty because of it) : Jumpdrive. As I'm sure you know, the jump drive is a propulsion system able to put a craft from point A to B instantaneously. Provided it knows where B is. How I would imagine it to differ from the warp drive in the game is that the jump drive would physically connect two points in space. A ship and a beacon (or nearby said beacon), and the ship would travel through this hyperspace/subspace/wormhole tunnel to its destination. As mentioned, where the warp drive can travel wherever it pleases, the jump drives require beacons to be placed at a target to go there (so you have to have been to said body before. How to balance: Make it just as explode-y as the warp drive! Maybe a little less. Make the power consumption less, but the exotic matter (or whatever powers the jump drive) requirement more. In another mod (FTL Drive mod, which is honestly where this idea comes from [link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114401-0-90-FTL-Drive-Rev-001-Very-early-development if you could work with them on this because my idea came from them that'd be kind of you]), they balance it by using mass and gravity as limits to the ability to jump. Else you go boom.

Edited by Storywalker4

IDEA (although other mods do this, they aren't balanced against your mod, and are kinda cheaty because of it) : Jumpdrive. As I'm sure you know, the jump drive is a propulsion system able to put a craft from point A to B instantaneously. Provided it knows where B is. How I would imagine it to differ from the warp drive in the game is that the jump drive would physically connect two points in space. A ship and a beacon (or nearby said beacon), and the ship would travel through this hyperspace/subspace/wormhole tunnel to its destination. As mentioned, where the warp drive can travel wherever it pleases, the jump drives require beacons to be placed at a target to go there (so you have to have been to said body before. How to balance: Make it just as explode-y as the warp drive! Maybe a little less. Make the power consumption less, but the exotic matter (or whatever powers the jump drive) requirement more. In another mod (FTL Drive mod, which is honestly where this idea comes from [link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114401-0-90-FTL-Drive-Rev-001-Very-early-development if you could work with them on this because my idea came from them that'd be kind of you]), they balance it by using mass and gravity as limits to the ability to jump. Else you go boom.

My favorite jump mod is ESLD (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91582-1-0-2-ESLD-Jump-Beacons-Dev-0-6-2015-05-25). Decent balance, using drives that burn karborundum. And incidentally was the original source of the name "karborundum."

• 2 weeks later...
Actually it goes about 16x lightspeed currently... explain to me the case for making it go even faster please ;)

Its so very Kerbal to say "Moar = Better!" LOL. All joking aside, I would bet that probably is at least part of the reasoning; I have a feeling that even a TARDIS would have trouble satisfying everyone.

Well, Roverdude, on the OP, it says "Up to 1.6 x light speed", so that's what I assumed before (re)downloading XD

Oh no... I'm having an issue. I built a simple ship that I can just hyperedit into orbit around kerbin, made sure I had my solar panels closed, started converting some exotic matter, but it was already full. I fired up the drive and stuff started exploding, it instantly ate all my electricity (30,000 units of it), so I switched it off... I don't really understand why this is happening.

However, if I use hyperedit to make sure all my electricity is full, it works fine? I don't understand what's going on. I'll try stacking some more batteries (even though it makes the ship weak), and edit my post accordingly.

Edit: I've refined the issue. If you start the conversion with the exotic matter already full, then activate the engine and throttle up, random pieces will start breaking off your ship.

Edited by Xenro66

• 2 weeks later...
The only dependency is Regolith which is needed for it's converter

I'm new, just started playing at 1.0.2 and am looking for more fun/crazy stuff in my sandbox game (career is kinda grindy). I didn't see a mod named "regolith" current - the old one forum thread says it deprecated and I see no dependency in CKAN - so maybe an update to the text? Thanks for this, it looks great.

I am reporting an incompatibility between the Alcubierre Warp Drive and ferram4's Ferram Aerospace Research. With both mods, and no others, installed manually the game regards parts within the warp drive's warp bubble as "stowed" even when the warp drive is not activated. Other (stock) engines will not activate and solar panels and radiators will not deploy if they are within the size of the warp bubble. This occurs on the ground on Kerbin or in space, and applies whether the warp drive is inactive or active. The warp drive itself is not regarded as stowed and will operate when above its failsafe altitude.

Installation details:

KSP version: 1.0.4, Linux 64-bit.

Alcubierre Warp Drive version: 0.2.1

FAR version: v0.15.3.1 "Garabedian"

This is similar symptoms to what eliminate1337 described in late May, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-2-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-2-1-2015-05-15?p=1958397&viewfull=1#post1958397 . I have not attempted to confirm his docking workaround.

Edited by cantab

I've been using the USI drives in combination with interstellar extended. I prefer the aesthetic of the USI drives, particularly the collapsing one, as I can get it on space planes, but for whatever reason I can't get them to charge exotic matter via reactor or solar panel. Interstellar drives work fine. Any idea why?

it works in 1.04 as i just tested , excelent work again. But i have a question, can someone explain to me what does the option of conservation do? you can chose velocity or angular momentum but i didnt see much clear difference both just moves you arround without dV. I dont need much of technicals or paper after paper of definitons just a simple english writing of what it does. Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.