[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

I don't think it needs to be faster. At full speed you could go four light years in 90 days. Just allowing for regular timewarp while using the drive would solve the problem. No idea how hard that would be, though. Maybe putting the ship on rails traveling in that one direction, and when timewarp is turned off it goes back off-rails again with its starting velocity?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

ca77e7845d83e1e6e1323504131b2226.png

I'm trying this thing out and ran into a problem - when I start the engibne it immediatelyt turns off again.  Electrical power isn't the issue (I have 20+ rtgs hidden by the ring) and both xenon and exotic matter are full.

The drives have a minimum altitude limit.  Below that they won't run.

I'm trying to use the 2.5m alcubierre warp drive, but it wont activate. I'll get into orbit, point at my target, make sure my exotic matter is full, and click "activate engine". It doesn't activate, all it does is make a bubble that shrinks until it's gone.

2 minutes ago, Battledamaged10 said:

I'm trying to use the 2.5m alcubierre warp drive, but it wont activate. I'll get into orbit, point at my target, make sure my exotic matter is full, and click "activate engine". It doesn't activate, all it does is make a bubble that shrinks until it's gone.

I got it working :P

I have a question. Can someone help me add the USI Warp Drive functionality to the transformable warp ring from Kerbal Interstellar? The one in question was made by ZZZ and is open use, so it should be permissible. Basically I think it just needs to have a thrust transform added to it, but that is beyond what I know in terms of editing. The wiki page from KSPI with the reference is located here https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Alcubierre-Drive

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to adapt the folding warp drive of the Interstellar mod to work with this plugin, but I run into troubles pretty quickly, there is no guide bubble inside the editor and I have troubles understanding how the cfg work for your module

Could you  help me ? If it can be done only through cfg, I'll do a MM cfg so other people can use it 

Just noticed that somebody asked already

Edited by Falco01

On 25-3-2016 at 11:18 PM, PringleMan said:

I have a question. Can someone help me add the USI Warp Drive functionality to the transformable warp ring from Kerbal Interstellar? The one in question was made by ZZZ and is open use, so it should be permissible. Basically I think it just needs to have a thrust transform added to it, but that is beyond what I know in terms of editing. The wiki page from KSPI with the reference is located here https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Alcubierre-Drive

I don't think it will work with any of KSPI-E part models, If 'm not mistaken, it needs to have a working engine module to work with USI Warp engine, perhaps it would work with the Interstellar Endurance ring, which also contains engines

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I don't think it will work with any of KSPI-E part models, If 'm not mistaken needs to have a working engine module to work with USI Warp engine, perhaps it would work with the Interstellar Endurance ring, which also contains engines

Hence why the thrust transform has to be added. But that involves getting the unity suite installed and the KSP tools installed a whole lot of stuff that I dont have the experience for.

On 3/26/2016 at 6:18 PM, PringleMan said:

I'm pretty sure @helaeon did this already :)

1 hour ago, helaeon said:

I took zzz's models as-is and made the configs work. I have not tried them in 1.0.5 or 1.1. Here's the link though if someone needs to or wants to take it further.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kuqyr9xgehefjro/AABt0nH2god526KNngYJB8jba?dl=0

http://imgur.com/6SKsTwM

it works. Thanks kindly. I see what I was doing wrong in the config, I feel silly. :P

I gave this mod a try today.
Really like it.. but one thing scared me.

I did a test run with the small warp drive, launched it 1000km above kerbin and then change directions towards Mun.
Then I activated the warp drive and was omw to the moon \o/
After a short flight (awesome btw) I was at the Mun and flipped the camera around.
To my suprise the debris (from launching the ship off kerbin) was 200m behind me at the Mun.

I'm hoping this is a bug? I really dont want to "drag" my planned orbital station to the Mun :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.