[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Any other ship/kerbal in the warp bubble, or any parts of the warping ship that is outside of the bubble, will explode violently.

No no, don't worry! if all of your ships were destroyed, this wouldn't be a very popular mod, no?

hum... there's a destruction range then,that would mean that only ships that are closer than x meters would blow,good to know!

this mod is strangely well balanced for a warp drive mod,I love it!

Spotted a stray bee in the WarpDrive.version file included in the UmbraSpaceIndustries/WarpDrive - USI_ALLMODS_2014.12.16.zip

"NAME":"MKS",

So how many hours did you stay awake for after having the day off work and frantically updating yours and everyone else’s mods... I dunno how you did it!!

:D

Edit: I think on behalf of all of us USI fans - what you managed to do in such a short time was amazing... many many thanks!!

Edited by Deadpan110
Thankyou!

This needs to be on CKAN!

I am pretty sure RoverDude has plans to use CKAN soon - possibly after a bit more 0.90 dust has settled.

it's easy to install, just copy/paste the GameData folder to GameData

Yes, easy to install is an easy answer if you have not yet used CKAN - give it a try! :wink:

First off... Love the concept of this mod. Played around with the drive in Sandbox; definitely a keeper. I've never used CTT before (it might just convince me into even more of RoverDude's mod family), but I also really like the idea. I'm having a few tech tree concerns though. First, if you just use the stock tree, the warp drive never can be unlocked. Is this intentional? Obviously it would be relatively easy and "unbalanced," but shouldn't there be a fallback to the stock tech tree always?

Second, the warp drive is obviously the end technology of the CTT tree. However, with my other mods installed, the 3-5 nodes (depending on path taken) prior to Ultra High Energy Physics (unlocks warp drive) are totally empty. I don't mind make warp drives super end-game, but is there something I am missing to flesh out the prereq nodes a little better? Are those KSPI items that flesh those out? In which case I think KSPI is still broken for 0.90, so I can wait on that.

Yeah no matter what I do, I can't get the stock fallback to work. It's not a big deal... I'll prob just use CTT anyways, but I'm curious to get it working. I did two tests. On the first, I didn't enable Tech Manager (selected "disable" in the prompt that appears at the start of the career). In the other, I selected "stock" for mt Tech Manager tree. In both cases, the warp drive did not appear in the Experimental Rocketry node and did not appear in the VAB w/ everything researched.

Yeah no matter what I do, I can't get the stock fallback to work. It's not a big deal... I'll prob just use CTT anyways, but I'm curious to get it working. I did two tests. On the first, I didn't enable Tech Manager (selected "disable" in the prompt that appears at the start of the career). In the other, I selected "stock" for mt Tech Manager tree. In both cases, the warp drive did not appear in the Experimental Rocketry node and did not appear in the VAB w/ everything researched.

The only way to get the stock fallback is to completely remove the CTT and techmanager mod files from your gamedata.

i think it would just look nicer.

I feel like it would be easier to fit more into an oval then a circle. I've tried a few ships with only a single warp drive and there is always loads of unused space in the sphere. It's especially bad with the small drive....

Yep there are some empty nodes... Some you can fill with the K+ drives, some you can fill with an unofficial KSPI patch.

Where are the fusion drives by default? Do you have a recommendation for which nodes to put them into? Can it be done with simple .cfg edits? (I don't know all the node names anymore as I've started my career over)

Edited by Errol

Thing is... the oval (actually, an ovoid) is a pain to code, and not fun to re-model. You would get no additional space (you'd just lose some), and adds no gameplay value. I have no plans on doing this, because my plate is full as it is, and in my opinion, it adds nothing more than aesthetics.

RE fusion drives... there's a fusion drive node in the CTT.

Yeah, you are right. Just thought I'd throw in my two..

Anyway, also wondering, do you thing that it would be possible to add a tweak-able option to the smaller drive that adds the option to start deployed and remain locked? The use case is a vessel to be constructed with EL and which you want to have parts that would be clipped by the deployment animation?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.