[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Insufficient specificity, but given it's shape, etc. I expect there's a spectacular amount of drag. So pretty much stock thermal mechanics doing their thing.

The .cfg of the 2.5 Warp ring lacks any line-items to do with heating or heat management other than a max temp value, not sure if this is intended or not.

I also suspect that the bubble is taking the brunt of the surface heating effects, even though the engine is inactive and turned off, but it explodes so fast I haven't yet been able to confirm this. I will do some more testing later when I get back from class tonight.

From the flight-log, the warp drive is always one part that explodes due to overheating first on the list, even though I have parts that should encounter heat/drag in-front of it and some of those parts have less max temp than the Warp Drive.

One thing though that I did not realize is that with the Warp Drive, you can enter the SOI of a body with speeds not naturally seen with normal orbital mechanics. I am possibly traveling SOOO fast in my aerobrake that it doesn't matter how shallow my aerobrake is, my craft WILL overheat and explode. I will slow my velocity on my attempts later tonight to see how it will effect my aerobrake attempts.

So I've been able to get to planets using this mod, and by letting myself "drift" away from the planet and burning back to periapsis, I can make it work. What's the best way to get to the outer planets without having to do this? There's really no way, is there?

So I've been able to get to planets using this mod, and by letting myself "drift" away from the planet and burning back to periapsis, I can make it work. What's the best way to get to the outer planets without having to do this? There's really no way, is there?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-2-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-2-1-2015-05-15?p=1559987&viewfull=1#post1559987

If that linked properly, there is a method explained there. With heat being a thing in 1.0+ though, I strongly recommend NOT to do this method INSIDE the orbit of Moho.

I thought potentially that aerobraking could be a method to use for like Jool, but there is a velocity limit before your ship will just instantly explode from overheating. I have confirmed that the Warp-ring soaks up ALL the heat and protects all parts inside the bubble from heat, even though the bubble will not be active/visible. I have not tested if this means you can keep panels extended or not, I suspect no.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-2-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-2-1-2015-05-15?p=1559987&viewfull=1#post1559987

If that linked properly, there is a method explained there. With heat being a thing in 1.0+ though, I strongly recommend NOT to do this method INSIDE the orbit of Moho.

I thought potentially that aerobraking could be a method to use for like Jool, but there is a velocity limit before your ship will just instantly explode from overheating. I have confirmed that the Warp-ring soaks up ALL the heat and protects all parts inside the bubble from heat, even though the bubble will not be active/visible. I have not tested if this means you can keep panels extended or not, I suspect no.

Doesn't this limit when I can travel to said planet significantly?

Doesn't this limit when I can travel to said planet significantly?

No, but you may end up using a combination of Warp Jumps and Time Warp. It is slower than just a direct warp jump there, but still much quicker. I did a Warp-Jump to Duna this way in 10 days vs like 100+ days needed to travel to Duna normally.

No, but you may end up using a combination of Warp Jumps and Time Warp. It is slower than just a direct warp jump there, but still much quicker. I did a Warp-Jump to Duna this way in 10 days vs like 100+ days needed to travel to Duna normally.

I just wish a mod would come out that allows warping with some velocity modification when you exit warp :(

I believe that is called HyperEdit. You could also look at the jump beacons mod in add on development.

Yeah, it seems that mod is more what I'm looking for. I want something I have to build into ships in game, and something that isn't like hyperedit - hyperedit tends to eat save files over time.

Just a heads up for those of us who don't use 'tech manager': had to delete the reference to it in the CTT.cfg to get the drives to show up in the ultraHighEnergyPhysics tech node.

Sorry if it has already been mentioned :)

• 2 weeks later...

I get a massive amount of lag whenever i try to go to any significant warp factor. Around 3,000 m/s I start seeing some noticeable lag and if I try to jump to full throttle, the game goes down to somewhere around 1 frame per 5 seconds.

So this is a plea for help. I am obviously not smart enough to use this drive on my own. I have studied the earlier post with a diagram showing how to do a decent transfer. I have tried in multiple scenarios to apply what that post is suggesting and I'm just not getting it.

Does anyone know of a video that has navigation tips, or anything for someone too dumb to understand a simple picture?

Thanks

So this is a plea for help. I am obviously not smart enough to use this drive on my own. I have studied the earlier post with a diagram showing how to do a decent transfer. I have tried in multiple scenarios to apply what that post is suggesting and I'm just not getting it.

Does anyone know of a video that has navigation tips, or anything for someone too dumb to understand a simple picture?

Thanks

Which planet are you trying to get to? Which part are you having a problem with? IIRC that diagram is for getting to outer planets. To get to inner planets you need to "fall down" in front of kerbol. Also when I was futzing with the drive I think I matched velocities first and then got myself parallel with the target planet. I'm not sure which way is easier or harder. Make sure the warp drive is set to the right mode. That diagram doesn't work for the mode which was added around the time of 1.0 (relative velocity maybe) Don't remember the names, sorry.

Edited by Tarheel1999

Which planet are you trying to get to? Which part are you having a problem with? IIRC that diagram is for getting to outer planets. To get to inner planets you need to "fall down" in front of kerbol. Also when I was futzing with the drive I think I matched velocities first and then got myself parallel with the target planet. I'm not sure which way is easier or harder. Make sure the warp drive is set to the right mode. That diagram doesn't work for the mode which was added around the time of 1.0 (relative velocity maybe) Don't remember the names, sorry.

LOL Any planet?

I have had little success trying to follow the diagram. Part of the problem I run into is it often seems to require me getting so close to Kerbol that I overheat.

I did have success once testing to Eeloo, but in that case I literally warped to eeloo and did some warps back and forth and suddenly I realized i was in a pretty decent orbit. But I honestly don't know how or could replicate it again.

All of the videos I have found about warp drives in KSP (mostly old interstellar ones) only talk about the mechanics of using the drive, antimatter etc. None that I have found talk about navigating well with one.

Yeah, I was worried that overheating would be the problem. The last time I played with this was in .90. Have you tried using the alternative mode? haeleon made a post in the last month or so talking about how to use it. With the sun's heat maybe that is what is necessary now. On the other hand, you may need to give up on completely matching speed and just get close-ish.

Yeah, I was worried that overheating would be the problem. The last time I played with this was in .90. Have you tried using the alternative mode? haeleon made a post in the last month or so talking about how to use it. With the sun's heat maybe that is what is necessary now. On the other hand, you may need to give up on completely matching speed and just get close-ish.

I have been playing around a bit, trying to do the same thing with both modes to see what the difference is. Come to think of it my Eeloo thing might have been in the second mode. Cant remember now.

Here's one link. If you click his username and search his recent posts you can find some other discussions on this. The sun thing may no longer be viable with the current heating set up which is a bummer. I've been meaning to play around with this anyway so I'll give this method a shot this weekend and see if it's still possible.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-2-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-2-1-2015-05-15?p=2008578

Edited by Tarheel1999

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.