[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Here's one link. If you click his username and search his recent posts you can find some other discussions on this. The sun thing may no longer be viable with the current heating set up which is a bummer. I've been meaning to play around with this anyway so I'll give this method a shot this weekend and see if it's still possible.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-2-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-2-1-2015-05-15?p=2008578

Hmm amazing how you forget old posts. That is kind of what I did at Eeloo. I guess maybe I accidentally figured out what he had told me to do months ago. I fail.

I get a massive amount of lag whenever i try to go to any significant warp factor. Around 3,000 m/s I start seeing some noticeable lag and if I try to jump to full throttle, the game goes down to somewhere around 1 frame per 5 seconds.

I similarly get tremendous framerate death when doing warp translation. Cannot tell if the cause is the shiny warp bubble (I see nothing of major interest in error logs, or even real 'errors' for that matter, but this might be because I have all the code-reading skill of a blind chimp who was dropped on its head as an infant) or the game going "RRRRRRR WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU SHOULDN'T BE THERE". I've had no /krakens/ occur because of it, mercifully, and the frame rate stabilizes once I stop.

...I wonder if the game's spacetime is getting pissy at us for our transgressions against physics. In turn it makes me ponder if we might suffer the same problem in real life with warp translation, spacetime lag.

I haven't really messed with the warp drive much in 1.0. However, if you're having heating problems trying the kerbol trick using the velocity version you can do it from further away. Still works just takes longer. It's also not totally necessary. You can warp at the planet and lose/gain energy that way. However, it also might take a bit and quite a few warps. Yep, still need to time warp quite a bit.

Oberth effect is totally something you can and should use. Be thinking about your orbital energy (for both modes) and how you can most effectively change it.

I think sophia had a fix to the framerate drop (it's a little ways back) so if that gets merged in I'm pretty sure an update will get pushed. I'm having (and been having) some work-life stuff going on so been away and don't have a ton of time. But if it's still not fixed when things clear up IRL I'll take a look.

And yes, the game is getting a little pissy at us about the transgressions against physics. Less so now though (as in the no more ships shaking themselves apart). The orbit drawing method isn't super efficient (I think I saw it improvements list for 1.1), and that's a part of the lag. Though I bet sophia's find is the major issue.

Edited by helaeon

The main thing that keeps me from using this, I think, is the warp bubble. It lags a lot for one thing, and does not look very pretty at all. It makes the ship look kinda crappy actually. Is it at all possible to remove the warp bubble from the config, or for you to make it so?

- - - Updated - - -

*cough* We'll just forget about Wesley and the Traveler.

What we really need to forget is Threshold. *shudders*

It never happened.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whenever I activate the 0.625m drive, it just makes a sound and does a closing animation. I can't use it, because when I activate it, it deactivates! When the vessel is loaded, the same thing happens- I hear the sound, and the animation plays.

Please help?

Whenever I activate the 0.625m drive, it just makes a sound and does a closing animation. I can't use it, because when I activate it, it deactivates! When the vessel is loaded, the same thing happens- I hear the sound, and the animation plays.

Please help?

Does your craft fit into the bubble? Are you using it at the right altitude? do you have any exotic matter? Ask yourself these and it may help.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to be "that person", but there's one thing I don't like about this, making it very hard to use in a way.

You can't apply timewarp (5x - 100,000x) when using it, making trips with solar system packs still a pain. Maybe having two modes, one for auto warp and manual warp, could be nice. I understand modding with FTL drives is hard, so I can take no as an answer for this. Just something to try. Not just for me, but probably for many others...

Edited by AlexTheNotSoGreat

What you probably want in that case is the persistent thrust mod and either my orion drive or a torch ship. Or one of the various 'Jump' mods that exist already.

Yea, persistent thrust didn't work, couldn't find any other simple jump drives (not KSPI), nor the other drives mentioned...

Edited by AlexTheNotSoGreat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.