[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

15 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I don't recall off hand.  But it is way higher than that.  It is the most common issue in this thread so it should be easy enough to find.

Ya thanks that seemed to fix it. I think the safe altitude should be lower than 600K

On 11/21/2014 at 0:04 PM, RoverDude said:

FreeThinker - it's derived from the exponential value of the warp factor in the config.

Oh... and the IVA view is nifty:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FarflungGlaringChital.webm

How do you edit the bubble size in the Config file? Please help, I'm building a battlestar and need the warp field to increase to cover the entire ship

On 13-8-2016 at 11:28 AM, blu3wolf said:

Oh good. Care to share how?

In the WarpDrive_250.cfg you see the following:

MODULE
{
	name = USI_ModuleWarpEngine
	WarpFactor = 15
	deployAnimationName = Engage
	warpAnimationName = WarpField
	MinThrottle = 0.05
	DisruptRange = 2000
	BubbleSize = 20   // <-- edit this one, just experiment. Don't forget to reload the database or restart KSP.
	MinAltitude = 1
	MaxAccelleration = 6
	unfoldAnimationName =
}

For the visual effect, try the following change:

MODEL
{
	model = UmbraSpaceIndustries/WarpDrive/Assets/WarpBubble
	scale = 1,1,1 // increase these values, for example 3,3,3. Other values like 3,2,1 will change the sphere into a spheroid. 
}

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally been able to research the Alcubierre drive, and I love it! However, there's a bug that makes it almost unplayable.

Whenever I have a vessel with the drive, and I reload the ship (whether quicksave/quickload, or switching between vessels), the drive is always 'on' (even if I never activated it), the bubble is permanently visible, and the drive simply doesn't work (it throttles up and down, makes the cool whirring sound, but there's zero movement).

The drive works fine, but any time I load a ship with an Alcubierre drive, the drive no longer works. Maddening!

"A bit" is generous.

Time to test which of the five nuclear engines I've slapped onto that thing will survive the first test flight.

Nevermind that that's just the engine block and the midsection is next, then another warp drive is bound to go up with the final third of the ship.

Extensive testing reveals that I am forced to beg here.

I have discovered that two warp drives seem not to be playing along nicely, which makes relatively little difference for my truly absurdly huge ships which are sent up in pieces with individual control modules anyway.

However I must confess to being lazy, and flying a ship to another planet in pieces to reassemble it there is mildly tedious.

Thus I request either of the following, if possible: a way to link warp drives on the same vessel, creating a shared bubble (presumably ellipsoid) upon activation, scalable drives, or a 3.75m (possibly 5m) Alcubierre part.

Edited by Angstinator

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Today I have realized that I can't activate the small warp drive in my spaceship. No activation sound, no bubble, and no acceleration. If I deactivate it, it plays the sound but no animation at all. I'm orbiting moho at 750K altitude and trying to jump to Eve ( Jump window open!) so is not a matter of safe distance.

In logs I only see this exception:

Spoiler

[LOG 14:42:46.863] Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Konstruction\Servo.png
[EXC 14:42:46.865] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Konstruction\Servo.png".
 System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
 System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
 System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path)
 System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes (System.String path)
 Konstruction.ServoMonitor.Awake ()
 UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
 AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
 AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
 AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

and this messages:

[LOG 14:42:51.477] CHECKING BUBBLE 1000
[LOG 14:42:51.507] [WARP] Error in OnFixedUpdate - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Last one starts to repeat a lot .

Thx

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.