[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

it just looks like it would create rocket instability, so when i say more far friendly im not implying it isnt already. just something that might be collapsible for orbital insertion for example. which is wholly unnecessary if my assumption about rocket instability is wrong

Did you try it?

no thats why im asking ;p also will there be a version for intergration into SSTO designs?

How about this.

Go try it. Let us know if there is in fact actually an issue.

The 0.625m version is collapsible, as will be the upcoming 1.25m version.

But given the sheer number of mods I support, it makes my job a lot easier if people try the mod first and come back with questions/etc. (and usually, screenshots of their craft) because your question is incredibly subjective and completely at the mercy of however you choose to build your craft.

i dont know why but i start with maximum exotic matter, it also doesnt appear as tweak in hangar unlike xenon gas, when i try to activate the engine, a fast boble appears and quickly shrinks and dissappears with a loud engine sound, as if it quickly just opens and shuts down again, but no movement whatsoever.nothing i tried seems to work. any help, maybe someone encountered this before?

i dont know why but i start with maximum exotic matter, it also doesnt appear as tweak in hangar unlike xenon gas, when i try to activate the engine, a fast boble appears and quickly shrinks and dissappears with a loud engine sound, as if it quickly just opens and shuts down again, but no movement whatsoever.nothing i tried seems to work. any help, maybe someone encountered this before?

I have the bubble problem too.

RoverDude, If you are making a 3.75m version, could it be omitting the "Star Trek" style nacelles that you've fitted to the 2.5m version. That way it naturally fit with the IXS parts, without needing to be an overt tie-in.

Also as an idea, is it possible to have floating diffuse light sources just outside the bubble, but lacking mesh entities of their own, that cast light on the ship within, one at the "front" vortex, and one at the "rear" vortex. Both cast very dim white light at 0% throttle, but as you progress to 100% throttle they saturate to blue at the front and red at the rear.

Edited by Gryphorim

1000? so i basicly have to be like 1 million away ? at least?

600KM for the 2.5m, 900KM for the 0.625m (at least for Kerbin, it varies by body).

RoverDude, If you are making a 3.75m version, could it be omitting the "Star Trek" style nacelles that you've fitted to the 2.5m version. That way it naturally fit with the IXS parts, without needing to be an overt tie-in.

Also as an idea, is it possible to have floating diffuse light sources just outside the bubble, but lacking mesh entities of their own, that cast light on the ship within, one at the "front" vortex, and one at the "rear" vortex. Both cast very dim white light at 0% throttle, but as you progress to 100% throttle they saturate to blue at the front and red at the rear.

If anything now that I broke out the warp bubble I'll just make an MM config for the IXS parts. The 3.75/5m version is going to be a rotating (fixed) ring. The 1.25m is going to be a rotating/deployable ring. Each model is going to be pretty unique.

Lights are how it used to work ;) Right now it goes from purple through red based on throttle.

1 million meters, yeah. It's pretty concievable that a drive like this, that uses what is effectively a gravitational shear point to decouple the inside of the bubble from the universe around it, would be awful sensitive to local gravity wells.

Also, for balance reasons.

Edit: Corrected by OP

Edited by Gryphorim

0.0.5 is up!!!

Tweaked config settings - Altitude is now a multiple of the orbiting body's radius, etc.

Might make more sense if you based it off the orbiting body's mass/density, or surface gravity.

FTL travel being based on warping spacetime, and gravity is one of the few things(only?) things we know of that can warp space.

Although, now that i think about it, trying to explain that to people would lead to even more "So how high do i have to be?" & "It must be broken!" questions than a body's radius... Bleh, it was a nice dream. :P

Might make more sense if you based it off the orbiting body's mass/density, or surface gravity.

FTL travel being based on warping spacetime, and gravity is one of the few things(only?) things we know of that can warp space.

Although, now that i think about it, trying to explain that to people would lead to even more "So how high do i have to be?" & "It must be broken!" questions than a body's radius... Bleh, it was a nice dream. :P

At the end of the day though, you will end in roughly the same ballpark since density and gravity have a reasonably close correlation to the body's diameter, at least in KSP. And it's close enough that some hand-waviness is ok in this case ;)

600KM for the 2.5m, 900KM for the 0.625m (at least for Kerbin, it varies by body).

If anything now that I broke out the warp bubble I'll just make an MM config for the IXS parts. The 3.75/5m version is going to be a rotating (fixed) ring. The 1.25m is going to be a rotating/deployable ring. Each model is going to be pretty unique.

Lights are how it used to work ;) Right now it goes from purple through red based on throttle.

Wait... are the other 2 going to rotate o.0 THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

- - - Updated - - -

0.0.6 is up

Fixed mass issue with 0.625 drive

Bubble guides now work again

Added atmospheric cuttoff info to status

I think theres a bug. 0.0.6 is not showing up on the releases. only 0.0.5

How would that mod work with this mod?

It wouldn't - but the point was if people want a jump beacon that plays well with the USI ecosystem, we already have one ;) No need for me to make one.

Wait... are the other 2 going to rotate o.0 THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

- - - Updated - - -

I think theres a bug. 0.0.6 is not showing up on the releases. only 0.0.5

Yes, they are rotating, and try again :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.