[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

See PSA above ;) Short version... we're applying stupid forces to these ships, so they are getting snapped. Looking into solutions that are 'creative' without changing part physics. But for now, a gentle throttle seems to win the day. 100% throttle is not safe :P

Basically, anything that would clip through the Warp Drive part is being pushed away from the model.

I've seen the same with other animated USI parts, namely the Karborundum drive and the AES pod. They seemed to check collisions with other parts of the same vessel. (Might be outdated as I haven't played for a few weeks)

Nice Mod i have waited a lot a simple warp drive and your is really awesome for graphics and gameplay, i have noticed only 1 think, by now all the throothle is for tuning sublight speed and just the last tick put the ship a 1.6 lightspeed and probably that cause issue with accelerations and g forces, is not better have 2/3 of throotle for tuning sublight and the last 1/3 for reach 1.6 lightspeed ?

Tanks again for all yours awesome mods

Regards Luca

I gave this a try and I am impressed. Of course there are still a number of issues (mainly the collision mesh ripping off my solar panels and the instant acceleration/deceleration ripping things apart) but I can see a great future for this mod.

What I am looking for now is a mod that lets me produce exotic matter on for example a space station.

So after some time with the mod, I came up with a new idea. I modfied it a bit and got this: Deflector Shield. A video will follow soon.

Maybe you can make it into another mod. A deflector shield generator would be cool, just to have the bubble and defend whatever is inside it. And maybe you could change it, so we can have multiple crafts or Kerbals inside the bubble?

But for now, a gentle throttle seems to win the day. 100% throttle is not safe :P
I kinda like the fact that it occasionally breaks. Feels properly like bleeding-edge fiziks. :D
SpaceMouse, If you take a look at the development thread for it he actually discussed the issue with WaveFunction (KSPI-L). The reason for the Xenon drives is because the Throttle Control on the engines require being linked to an engine that actually has thrust, To get thrust the propellent actually needs mass. The Exotic Matter doesn't have mass because it originated from KSPI (even the version in the CRP) so Rover left it unchanged for compatibility. The Xenon provides what the KSP code needs to make the throttle work :P.

I originally read this and was left a bit confused but, now i realize its a workaround. Perhaps re-generating the Xenon used is a solution to keep throttle without breaking physics? I'll shut-up now, i'm sure this has been totally discussed already. Awesome mod again!

As far as graphics effects, isn't this basically just embellishment for fun? I imagine warping space would pretty much stop light from reaching your eyes entirely. We should probably stop trying to bend the universe to comply with our science fiction. :)

Edited by SpaceMouse

You might wanna steer a bit off course of Exotic Matter, or at least go with a different name so KSPI won't use exotic matter generated from this warp drive, and vice versa.

Because it might be a bit of a cheat, not having to use Megajoules.

IMHO it's better to have compatibility. That way even if the balance is iffy, at least people can combine the mods if they want.

Anyway, my first ship with this:

15235664043_0f4238764b_o.png

Unfortunately the warp drive does not play nice with DRE, and Jeb got squished by g-forces, leaving me with an uncontrollable ship to tear across the system until the bubble collapsed.

See PSA above ;) Short version... we're applying stupid forces to these ships, so they are getting snapped. Looking into solutions that are 'creative' without changing part physics. But for now, a gentle throttle seems to win the day. 100% throttle is not safe :P

Are you planning to make any changes to the collision issue pictured here? http://imgur.com/a/jIdc6

Lol, I just put myself into orbit around Eve using only the warp drive :) Knowing you orbital mechanics makes this the ultimate endgame drive :) Looks awesome too!!!!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/pyU6s0g.png

Do you think you could give us a primer on orbital mechanics and the Alcubierre Drive? I've been playing around with it and while it seems great, I keep ending up needing a 20kDV burn to make orbit.

Do you think you could give us a primer on orbital mechanics and the Alcubierre Drive? I've been playing around with it and while it seems great, I keep ending up needing a 20kDV burn to make orbit.

If you maneuver at sub-light speeds, you can achieve a stable (if wonky) orbit. You'll just need a main engine for orbital maneuvering. You'll also have to remember that the A-Drive is safety locked at altitudes lower than 500 kilometers.

If you maneuver at sub-light speeds, you can achieve a stable (if wonky) orbit. You'll just need a main engine for orbital maneuvering. You'll also have to remember that the A-Drive is safety locked at altitudes lower than 500 kilometers.
500? I departed from a 300 km Kerbin orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.