[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Right now the bubble is part-based and balanced for each drive. The bubble is also an intentional design constraint (it gives me a nice lever to work with when balancing different flavors of the drive), so variability is not something I'd want to do at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

I built a ship using this mod and I've encountered an issue: After I launch a ship equipped with the drive into orbit past the 600km failsafe the drive works fine. But if i go back to the space center and then try to fly the ship again the drive ceases to function and i get some weird phantom bubble around the ship:

byIApVD.jpg

Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so is there any way to solve it? Also, if i right click the ring it says the drive is inactive.

Is the drive on or off when you go to the space center? (As in, is the drive shut down or just throttled down?)

It looks like from your screen shot that it's off... I've swapped from my ship to the space center and back many many times. So no idea what could be going on here.

Any other mods used on the ship? If you can give a .craft file and I've got the mods, or none are needed I'll give it a load and see if it does it for me.

I'm not sure if I've even tried the warp drive in the current version of KSP yet, so I'll look into it a bit.

A thought occurred to me as I was busily putting my parts all back in, RoverDude- do you ever plan on making your own Construction thing? By which I mean, any kind of in-situ construction done with MKS and whatnot, all requires you to have other mods. Like Extraplanetary Launchpads. Is it easier to just rely on that, or is that a dependency you intend to phase out someday?

e: sorry, I meant to put this on your MKS thread, not Warp Drive. I derped.

Edited by Kershu5

I've removed all mods except DSEV for power and Hyperedit.

If I hit quicksave and quickload during warp, it will result in a static fluorescent green bubble. When not using warp, if I go to any other vessel, quickload, or go to Space Center, then come back, the warp drive will just not activate. The engine will still produce thrust, but no warp, or bubble either.

So...is there any solid Δ[I]v [/I]planning approach for this?

I know my way around navigation with conventional drives (though MechJeb showed its ugly side by making me a bit rusty), but I cannot for the life of me use this thing to position myself properly.

Here are some to get you started:
[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-5-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-3-1-0-2015-11-09?p=1761606&viewfull=1#post1761606[/url]
[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-5-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-3-1-0-2015-11-09?p=1991863&viewfull=1#post1991863[/url]
[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-1-0-5-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-3-1-0-2015-11-09?p=1808550&viewfull=1#post1808550[/url]

You're a good man, thank you.

Now, something else...have dedicated (non-jump-capable) particle accelerators to produce exotic matter been discussed yet?
I am rather fond of the idea of massive (3.75m inner ring? 5m?) supercolliders hanging in low Kerbin orbit, constantly, in a slightly cheaper or faster fashion than their little brothers, pumping out exotic matter to fuel space exploration for the KSC. Edited by Angstinator

[quote name='Angstinator']Now, something else...have dedicated (non-jump-capable) particle accelerators to produce exotic matter been discussed yet?
I am rather fond of the idea of massive (3.75m inner ring? 5m?) supercolliders hanging in low Kerbin orbit, constantly, in a slightly cheaper or faster fashion than their little brothers, pumping out exotic matter to fuel space exploration for the KSC.[/QUOTE]

That sounds a lot like the antimatter collection mechanic from the Interstellar mod.

I don't know, I've not played Interstellar - though from what I've heard I thought it was all about flying ramscoops through the atmosphere.

Oh, and on angular momentum conservation, I suppose post-jump deceleration functions similarly to velocity conservation drives?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.