[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

On 10/16/2016 at 3:20 PM, Mekan1k said:

Anyone remember the folding version of these drives? I was trying to find it, and I have no idea where to start. I know it used to exist, but where is it now?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96dwzt9q6sgr49k/ZWarpDriveModels_forUSIAD.zip?dl=0

You mean those? However... I haven't updated these or even looked at them since May of 2015. So they're several versions old, I don't know if they even still behave in modern KSP because I haven't tried them. So, use at your own risk. You're welcome to fix them. They use ZZZ's models from way back for the original KSP-I that I hacked into working with CFG changes. To make this work properly more work may be necessary.

On 3.6.2015 at 3:32 AM, helaeon said:

"Velocity" mode maintains your linear momentum direction and magnitude. So if you leave Kerbin you'll have an orbital velocity around Kerbol of ~8 km/s, if you warp out to Jool, you'll still be going 8 km/s so will be going 4 km/s too fast and probably be on an escape trajectory out of the solar system. That's your best case scenario if Kerbin and Jool are aligned on the same side of Kerbol.

"Angular Momentum" mode maintains the magnitude of orbital angular momentum (orbit.h) and your direction of travel. Your orbital velocity adjusts down as you climb out of a gravity well, and adjusts up as you warp towards the parent body. Same scenario: This time you will have too little velocity when you get to Jool. It actually ends up being like a Hohmann transfer where you pay for it all at the end. This mode you get no free potential energy like you do in the linear momentum mode.

In a way the drives are opposites. You can see if you take the exact same warp ship on the same trip but set in the other mode.

@Joshnie Thats the difference - i still have to try if i can get used to 'Angular Momentum'-mode in the conserve velocity mode its pretty easy to figure out how your jump will affect your orbit.
Also for practicing i recommend to set the 'Engine Thrust'-slider in the right click menu down to about 30% so you can jump inside kerbin system and learn how to get the right velocity vector for a direct orbit at the mun or minmus.

Since mun is orbiting kerbin at about 500m/s and mun low orbit speed is 500m/s you can cancel out your velocity to 100m/s near kerbin and then jump to mun. You will allmost be in orbit. Try to jump to a position where you prograde marker is near the horizon. (this is valid for velocity conservation)

Now I kinda wish someone made an updated video on this mod actually showing how to do warp drive maneuvers due to me being wayyyy too used to using normal conventional propulsion. My biggest problem is I cannot figure out how to slow down efficiently enough without aerobraking 50 times to not get ripped apart by 50Gs.

Edited by Joshnie
spelling error

(Vel.conservation)
@Joshnie If you are in a circular 900km orbit around kerbin you have a velocity of ~1530m/s you can jump now 90° forward so that your vel. vector points to the zenit. That way the gravity will slow you down without changing the direction of travel. If you jump back to the original position u may get an PE inside the athmosphere. I you slowed down to 1180m/s you get an PE of 30km.
But arriving at PE you will be travelling at 2810m/s this is than nearly the same as a Munar return in terms of heat. But at least the deceleration isn't that big.

If you want to jump to another planet without spending much dV you have to do breaking jumps at the target or get the velocity vector (direction and velocity) right near the sun. Breaking jumps are pretty tedious and dangerous.

A few rules for Vel.Conservation mode are:
-radial out (in) jump raises (lowers) your opposing PE/AP
-correct inclination errors on the farthest away point (90°) from AN/DN by jumping Normal/Antinormal
-by pointing along the horizon during jump (low throttle necessary) the semi mayor axis won't be affected
-Jumping retrograde (and keep that direction) on a circular orbit ends raises also your AP since you add an radial out component.

Edited by KroShan

2 hours ago, Ragingdonut said:

I put the file into GameData, like other mods, but it won't work. (Using 1.2)

I also am not using Regolith (Is that necessary?)

Picture of your GameData folder please and your UmbraSpaceIndustries folder

Went back a few pages, sorry if this has been addressed.  Only mention I saw was changing the config to make the top speed a lot faster.

I'm trying this with Extrasolar Planets Beyond Kerbol.  Thing is, if I'm counting correctly, Valentine is 1.05 ly away.  At the max speed of 40c, that means running the game for 9-10 days while it gets there (remembering to refuel with exotic matter every now and then).  I also think it was mentioned that you can't keep the FTL velocity going during time warp and while the ship is not loaded.  Is this correct?  I actually tried warping while the ship was loaded, and it just exploded when I left warp.

How is this usually solved?

Cheers,

-BS

Is anyone having rapid disassembly at SOI boundaries? I can use the drive just fine, but if it's on when switching from a solar orbit to a planet SOI or vice versa, the ship violently explodes without warning. And I do mean violent... like every part flying away from every other at ridiculous speeds. I've taken to just moving to the edge of an SOI and then time warping until my ship intercepts the body with the drive off.

Anyone know a better way to deal with this?

I think I have a partial answer to my question, but I'm not sure if this is intended behavior. My ship fits nicely within the bubble, but I have some landing gears(stock) that extend beyond the bubble when extended. I keep them stowed during Alcubierre flight, and this seems to be okay, because the drive works normally and the ship doesn't explode. However, the ship explodes at SOI transition (any SOI: planet, moon, etc) if the drive is active, which I now think is caused by the drive seeing something outside the bubble and detonating. Remove the landing gears with no other changes and the problem goes away.

To me this doesn't seem to be expected behavior... either the drive should always be okay with it, or it should fail immediately on activation. Does the drive somehow treat parts as extended when transitioning SOIs?

@RoverDude

I am having several issues and questions regarding the use of 0.625 Alcubierre Drive:

1. I am constantly seeing the bubble as yellow orb both in VAB and during Flight. Is there a way to disable it from showing ?
  2. Do both engine AND Exotic matter converter need to be activated (Activate engine AND Start Exotic Matter) for it to run, or you just need to have enough Exotic matter in storage ?
  3. Why am I getting: Can not extend when stowed when I try to deploy Solar panels or Antennas within the warp bubble (although the throttle is set to 0). Happens regardless if the engine is activated or not
  4. When i activate engine, but do not start exotic matter (although i have 5000 of it in tank), I hear engine sound but regardless of how much i set throttle, nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong ? I was under impression that Converter -> fills Exotic Matter from massive E/C while engine can run without it, or ?

The game is Alcubierre Drive 0.4.4.0 in 1.1.3 and FAR, below is the full modlist

Is there any way to get it to work, as I really want to play with this version of Alcubierre drive, and not the Interstellar one

Edited by Grunf911
More details

On 11/5/2016 at 2:35 PM, Coreador said:

I think I have a partial answer to my question, but I'm not sure if this is intended behavior. My ship fits nicely within the bubble, but I have some landing gears(stock) that extend beyond the bubble when extended. I keep them stowed during Alcubierre flight, and this seems to be okay, because the drive works normally and the ship doesn't explode. However, the ship explodes at SOI transition (any SOI: planet, moon, etc) if the drive is active, which I now think is caused by the drive seeing something outside the bubble and detonating. Remove the landing gears with no other changes and the problem goes away.

To me this doesn't seem to be expected behavior... either the drive should always be okay with it, or it should fail immediately on activation. Does the drive somehow treat parts as extended when transitioning SOIs?

huh, interesting one.  Something must be shifting the object's position, and that is something I am not going to have easy control over.  Best bet is to just stick in the bubble

Hi Rover

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Sorry, at this point I am only supporting KSP version 1.2.x

That is perfectly understandable, can you at least please tell me if it is normal to see the warp bubble in VAB and if so is there a keybind on how to remove it so its not seen ?

Edited by Grunf911

On 11/8/2016 at 3:02 PM, Grunf911 said:

Hi Rover

That is perfectly understandable, can you at least please tell me if it is normal to see the warp bubble in VAB and if so is there a keybind on how to remove it so its not seen ?

You should be able to right click on the warp drive part and click 'show bubble guide' (or something like that) to toggle it on or off.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:57 PM, Grunf911 said:

When i activate engine, but do not start exotic matter (although i have 5000 of it in tank), I hear engine sound but regardless of how much i set throttle, nothing happens

I have same problem.@RoverDude I will try to send you some more info about that. I have taken a look to the source and OnAwake() is called twice. Very strange.

On 2016-11-12 at 7:48 PM, bice said:

I have same problem.@RoverDude I will try to send you some more info about that. I have taken a look to the source and OnAwake() is called twice. Very strange.

Actually i tried a very silly thing. I uninstalled, then reinstalled WarpDrive mod, then it worked for me.

Couldn't believe it was that simple

On 11/12/2016 at 1:48 PM, bice said:

umm... not that I see?  And please start with letting us know what version you are using, and what KSP version

@pan stanley Hi welcome to the Forums,

This is really fun i just did an 'inside Moho' to 'Landing approach' jump with my SSToWarp. I only had 300m/s velocity at 30km height. To anwser your question just one page before i wrote:

in Addition:
you have to edit the part cfgs found under

GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\WarpDrive\Parts

you can find 'MinAltitude' in the first 'MODULE' block

i have it now set to 0.05, that is equal to 30km on Kerbin an altitude i can easily reach with my rapier driven SSTW.
I recommend to set the thrust limiter in the SPH/VAB to about 30% otherwise the warp drive is very throttle sensitive in the vicinity of a planet.

Edited by KroShan

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 2:28 PM, RoverDude said:

Also, because of the destructive nature of the warp bubble, parts outside of it (both on your own ship and others) will be destroyed.

Is this just within physics range? Or does it obliterate everything in the save?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.