[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

9 hours ago, T3CH said:

do you have it?

And if yes could you be nice to send a link/file where I could get it?

What @RoverDude said.  You could also be less lazy and simply google it.  Amazingly the original thread is still around and the download link works.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the 0.625m alcubierre drive and no matter what I do, I can't seem to make it go faster than 0.001c. I have 100% of the craft's capacity of exotic matter and xenon and I have a generator with plenty of radiators, but even when I have the craft on 100% thrust it's still going super-slow (...relatively :P)

Am I missing something?

EDIT: It randomly started working! I think my altitude was too low, when I was just above the minimum altitude it must've activated properly.

Edited by yorshee

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, yorshee said:

I'm using the 0.625m alcubierre drive and no matter what I do, I can't seem to make it go faster than 0.001c. I have 100% of the craft's capacity of exotic matter and xenon and I have a generator with plenty of radiators, but even when I have the craft on 100% thrust it's still going super-slow (...relatively :P)

Am I missing something?

EDIT: It randomly started working! I think my altitude was too low, when I was just above the minimum altitude it must've activated properly.

You ran into the "Gravity Brakes" closer you are to a gravitational body (and the stronger that gravity) the slower you go. It is meant to make the warp drive more controllable and easier to use, less shooting past planets and having to feather the throttle. It's also meant to add a bit more danger to getting really close to Kerbol or Jool. Laythe + Jool is a pretty deep gravity well for the warp drive to work in so speeds are slow (and energy use high).

• 2 months later...

In order to have enough EC to generate Exotic Matter, I needed... Wait for it... 20 5m nuclear reactors (starlifter class)

I forgot the launch clamps, and it was so heavy that... well... lets just say that no kerbals will be venturing on the surface without their helmets (and a really good radiation insulator in their suits)

Great mod though!

5 hours ago, camulus777 said:

hello I have a question

ARe you going to create generators to produce the power required for these drives.

Key thing - don't try to operate the drive's Exotic Matter generator at the same time you're wanting to go somewhere. Just don't. You'll be happier in the long run.

If you're sticking with stock power sources, the power to run the drive itself is fairly nominal - Fuel Cell Arrays are capable of doing it; how many you need depends on the specific drive used. For the 2.5 meter engine, which is what I use the majority of the time, you need six of them operating at the same time as the drive.

As far as the 10,000:1 EC to XM generation ratio, put a dozen Gigantor solar panels on your craft and deploy them in close proximity to Kerbol (~1.6 Gm is generally close enough). That close to Kerbol, solar panels generate a huge amount of EC.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:27 PM, camulus777 said:

hello I have a question

ARe you going to create generators to produce the power required for these drives.

Other mods exist for that, such as Near Future Electrical, USI Core (which contains a reactor pack) and KSP Interstellar. But installing some of these makes the EC demand in the drives go way up, as then you have realistic power generators-- the drives will demand realistic magnitudes of EC input.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 10:49 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Other mods exist for that, such as Near Future Electrical, USI Core (which contains a reactor pack) and KSP Interstellar. But installing some of these makes the EC demand in the drives go way up, as then you have realistic power generators-- the drives will demand realistic magnitudes of EC input.

Alternately, set up a solar power station at about the orbit of Moho, using the blanket solars from Near Future Solar. You could also use the fusion generators from WBI, but where's the excitement in that?

• 2 weeks later...

@RoverDude Win 10, KSP 1.5.1, USI mods installed from the Constellation build.

A couple parts throw an error in the log that the BubbleSize needs to be an integer. 

[LOG 21:32:49.728] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/WarpDrive/Parts/ZWarpDrive25/ZWarpDrive25'
[ERR 21:32:49.749] Invalid integer value! Field BubbleSize, value 12.5 on object of type WarpEngine.USI_ModuleWarpEngine
[LOG 21:32:49.838] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/WarpDrive/Parts/ZWarpDrive375/ZWarpDrive375'
[ERR 21:32:49.858] Invalid integer value! Field BubbleSize, value 37.5 on object of type WarpEngine.USI_ModuleWarpEngine

Full Log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sJai1CBdvJ_n1jOP4w77hA7bYEhZX6QL/view?usp=sharing

20 hours ago, E_J_B said:

hello roverdude

we need an experienced modder who has already created mods and is very good at creating
 the ultimate mod for our unique server are you? my steam account is E_J_B

Lol.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say you cant afford him :cool:.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 4:49 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

To create a big warp ship, put an Alcubierre drive with the structure of the Interstellar Endurance ship, put all modules on it, they have OP integrated generators on them. Plus the Endurance Engines give you lots of Delta V to get into orbit of planets you go too. Add some other fuel tanks for added Delta-V, the Endurance has lots of hard points for shuttles and other landers to be docked to it.

3 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

To create a big warp ship,

Yeah I did that. ;) It's on its way to the orange star over there (36 billion? km). I should've thought of that mod. I have tried it before.

My install is very highly custom modded so I can't share craft files.

• B9 HX with major usability upgrades including some cloned parts for different use cases
  • All USI warp drives have double bubble size
  • Added templates to the WBI Buckboards to hold ExoticMatter with and without Xenon (so I have quite a lot of both)

The ship itself holds LH2 and has about 0.3 TWR but 100 km/s dV. Its reactors (5) produce 6000 EC/s each + RTG (lowered to 250 C/s). Nertea's radiators weren't added yet in the first screenshot but I had to add about 20 of them.

...I deleted the config that cranks up the power demands of the USI parts when NF Electric is installed. Meeting that kind of need is another game for another time. ;)

On the side, I've realized that the sigma configs have errors and cause MM cache to not generate.

F4QExes.jpg

uEB2iMO.jpg

xn8HivQ.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Need help. On a lot of my builds, the craft blows  when activating the engine. The craft does not exceed the bounds of the warp bubble and after destruction, I often notice that the bubble is actually created. I have even been able to use it in some cases.

4 hours ago, Jaxxman said:

Need help. On a lot of my builds, the craft blows  when activating the engine. The craft does not exceed the bounds of the warp bubble and after destruction, I often notice that the bubble is actually created. I have even been able to use it in some cases.

Without more details, I'll ask the standard "is it plugged-in" question for this mod, which is "Are you attempting to use the Exotic Matter generator and the engine at the same time?" If so, it's likely running out of power and ripping yourself apart as the warp bubble collapses.

Actually, there's a reasonable amount of this mod that depends on what other mods you're using. Would you mind providing a list, and would you also mind posting a screenshot of your craft? It'll help the rest of us to better determine any specific issues.

Edited by capi3101

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.