[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

11 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Rakaydos Retry your experiments in an install without KSS. I'm betting on something...

It also blows up if I run out of electric charge without the fuel cells running. Even though the cells dont cover the ful cost of the engine, they keep me from actually hitting 0 resource. This happens even in the inner system of a clean install.

Out past 1000 GM... Starting exotic matter production and throttling up (shift) dismantles the ship. Mort testing must wait because I accidently saved over when I wanted to quickload. :/

@Rakaydos In that case you may not be aware of the (possibly) insane EC demand for generating ExoticMatter. So trying to use the engine while charging it is suicide. The warp drive is supposed to blow up on flameout. If you mean to say the engine is off, you run out of EC and it still blows up, that may be a problem.

I can generate exotic matter while stopped, (given enough timewarp), and I can warp around if I'm not generating enough electric charge (there is a sound change when I drop to "as fast as I can power it" speed)... it seems strange that doing both at once would kill me.

Flaming out of Xenon was really out there, though. That one limits my maximum range.

Ah, well the solution seems simple enough, and applies to a few things irl: Don't use it while charging it. :/ Regarding Xenon, assume the engine's tank is just a buffer for its core, and attach a stock Xenon tank ore more to the ship. Some other advanced engines are like this.

3 hours ago, AWEJOKER said:

The warp drive part is not appearing in game. I have the right version file. it says regolith is needed, but it is 0.90 version. Dose this mod not work i´with some mods?

Just to be clear, are you trying to get this working with KSP .9?  If so you are likely on your own.  Support for versions that old is going to be pretty non-existent.

Hello,

Contrary to the Xenon, I don't have a slider for the amount of exotic matter in the VAB. I'd like to start out with no exotic matter, but it's always full when I launch.

I've had to go change the cfg files and put zero amount to exotic matter.

Is that a bug? How do you make the slider for exotic matter appear in the VAB?

On 3/22/2018 at 7:28 PM, ioresult said:

Hello,

Contrary to the Xenon, I don't have a slider for the amount of exotic matter in the VAB. I'd like to start out with no exotic matter, but it's always full when I launch.

I've had to go change the cfg files and put zero amount to exotic matter.

Is that a bug? How do you make the slider for exotic matter appear in the VAB?

I had considered making exotic matter 0 on launch when I did my last overhaul. However, I realized there would be major support concerns with people not being able to get the warp drive activated - we have enough issues with the fail-safe altitude.
So it is intended. To get the slider to appear one has to add some fields to the source code and recompile the plug-in, which I wasn't really into as there is really no advantage to setting the slider to zero. You can pretty easily make a module manager patch that would set the initial EM amount to zero and that would be my recommended course of action.

49 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

like? :huh:

'Splosions. Big ones.

That's assuming you attempt to utilize both drives at the same time for propulsion, in fairness. If your intent is to use a single drive and have the second one there to give you extra ExM generation/storage capacity, there's no real reason why that shouldn't work. But if your intent is to try to extend the area effect of the bubble...well, no. Don't do that. It's like the postal service - it only ships if it fits.

Just now, capi3101 said:

'Splosions. Big ones.

That's assuming you attempt to utilize both drives at the same time for propulsion, in fairness. If your intent is to use a single drive and have the second one there to give you extra ExM generation/storage capacity, there's no real reason why that shouldn't work. But if your intent is to try to extend the area effect of the bubble...well, no. Don't do that. It's like the postal service - it only ships if it fits.

Thx sooo much!:)

7 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

BTW does it work on 1.4.2? Or do you plan an update (I'm not asking for an pesting ETA here)

It is released for KSP 1.4.1 and most likely should work fine in 1.4.2. Make a note to always check the releases page on the GitHub sites for any USI mods before asking. RoverDude does not update his thread titles, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

My main problem with this mod is that until Space Opera is updated, I really can't do anything with this mod, as stock engines can't re-orbit at interplanetary speeds in time or with a small enough amount of fuel

That's not really an issue with this mod. But space opera should pretty much work in 1.4. It just hasn't been confirmed to be working.  The main issue for purely parts mods is fx from the old style rcs module. And space opera uses the newer rcs fx version.  The only module is this this mod.

Just now, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That's not really an issue with this mod. But space opera should pretty much work in 1.4. It just hasn't been confirmed to be working.  The main issue for purely parts mods is fx from the old style rcs module. And space opera uses the newer rcs fx version.  The only module is this this mod.

I know, but a least for me it's useless without Space Opera, and Space Opera is no longer in CKAN, as it is not up-to-date

Also I found that since the Alcubierre drive moves the map and not you, all the ships around you, even outside the bubble, can warp with you. Does this work all the way out to the edge of the physics range or no?

25 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

Also I found that since the Alcubierre drive moves the map and not you, all the ships around you, even outside the bubble, can warp with you. Does this work all the way out to the edge of the physics range or no?

I have observed this behavior - stuff gets cut off from your craft by the bubble, but then you wind up hauling the resultant debris along to your destination. I also wound up hauling a craft along that I'd just dropped off at Duna once. 

To get around this, I generally just make a pre-warp check when I want to use the drive. Goes like this: 1) Quicksave (because why not) and point to zenith. 2) Check to see if anything is in physics range by hitting one of the bracket keys. 3) Assuming there are no other craft nearby, activate the warp drive. 4) Check to see if anything is in physics range by hitting one of the bracket keys. If something is suddenly there, revert and fix the problem (my warp ship is generally a mothership, so fixing the problem usually just means finding a different docking port or reorienting something), starting over. 5) Assuming there's still nothing in range, throttle up.

8 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

I have observed this behavior - stuff gets cut off from your craft by the bubble, but then you wind up hauling the resultant debris along to your destination. I also wound up hauling a craft along that I'd just dropped off at Duna once. 

To get around this, I generally just make a pre-warp check when I want to use the drive. Goes like this: 1) Quicksave (because why not) and point to zenith. 2) Check to see if anything is in physics range by hitting one of the bracket keys. 3) Assuming there are no other craft nearby, activate the warp drive. 4) Check to see if anything is in physics range by hitting one of the bracket keys. If something is suddenly there, revert and fix the problem (my warp ship is generally a mothership, so fixing the problem usually just means finding a different docking port or reorienting something), starting over. 5) Assuming there's still nothing in range, throttle up.

But couldn't you use this to warp more objects as well? Or, what if you made a very large ship with a space inside for a smaller ship that just has the Warp engine and the required fuels. Fly inside, make sure that your bubble is completely inside the open space, start up the warp engine, and boom. 

1 hour ago, RedPandaz said:

But couldn't you use this to warp more objects as well? Or, what if you made a very large ship with a space inside for a smaller ship that just has the Warp engine and the required fuels. Fly inside, make sure that your bubble is completely inside the open space, start up the warp engine, and boom. 

I can honestly say that I've never tried to do something like this on purpose. It's probably worth an experiment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.