[1.10.x] SafeChute v2.1.20 (continued)

hab136

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1.1 pre-release version uploaded to Github: https://github.com/henrybauer/SafeChute/releases

Tested with stock chutes and the pre-release version of RealChute (1.4x2).

No changes, it just took me a few minutes to find where they hid the assemblies so I could recompile (KSP.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/ instead of KSP.app/Contents/Data/Managed/, which confusingly still has one DLL in it)

Initially, I didn't really see the need for this, as I never had a problem with it before. But testing my modified Mercury Parachute from FASA...capsules are exploding left and right. I need this mod and I need it bad.

Many thanks friend!:)

-edit-

Just tried it now, and it works, but it turns out my issue is deploying the parachute, then turning on warp in between predeployment and full deployment, and getting gibbed by when the full chute opens. It would seem this mod is designed to protect you only again the killer predeployment chute, yes? I don't suppose I can be fully saved from my own impatience...

Edited by Deimos Rast
clarity

@Deimos Rast SafeChute stops warp when the parachute fully deploys (specifically, "ModuleParachute.deploymentStates.DEPLOYED"), and 15m above the ground.  It should help exactly with the scenario you mention, although the "safety" aspect of this mod is questionable these days.  I mainly keep it so that warp stops on landing.

Tweakable Parachutes from Tweakable Everything will let you change how slowly the parachute opens (and thus the jerkiness), which may help more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So as it turns out this most excellent of mods of your's works with RealChutes, and Stock Chutes, but not FAR's RealChutes Lite (the version of RealChutes that comes bundled with FAR and replaces stock chutes if you don't already have RealChutes installed).

Its' module is called "RealChuteFAR" if that helps any, it can be found here (at ferram4's github page). To be fair, I don't know that many people would actually use RealChutesLite in place of RealChutes (I'm only doing it at the moment because it was throwing errors), but I figured I'd mention it.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

SafeChute v2.1 is up with some code optimization and cleanup.  My super-scientific testing saw about 1 fps gain when under 4x timewarp, but that might have been my imagination.  More importantly, it should create less garbage, which means garbage collection runs less often, which means less stutter.

SafeChute itself was never very heavy, but every bit counts - and this is good practice before I tackle the gigantic hog GPOSpeedPump. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...