WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Been playing with my city textures and particles from Better Atmospheres and am loving how they look in this overhaul! Thanks Rbray for all your work. By the way, I haven't heard from Thesonicgalaxy in a while and don't know if he's continuing BA. If he's not, I'd be happy to offer up my textures for your pack. The cities and cloud particles I worked on look really nice in the overhaul (bias opinion hehe).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Been playing with my city textures and particles from Better Atmospheres and am loving how they look in this overhaul! Thanks Rbray for all your work. By the way, I haven't heard from Thesonicgalaxy in a while and don't know if he's continuing BA. If he's not, I'd be happy to offer up my textures for your pack. The cities and cloud particles I worked on look really nice in the overhaul (bias opinion hehe).

http://imgur.com/a/g5R6l

Wow that looks great! Love the textures.

Yeah, I'm probably not coming back to BA. I don't have any interest in continuing it. You have all control over what happens to Better Atmospheres.

Damn, I really want these textures........

Please deliver these!

Hopefully sooner than SoonTM

Hopefully sooner than SoonTM

Soon...â„¢

Rbray, I know this is a strange suggestion to suggest, but is it a possibility to add sunny days into the new version? Or did you already consider it in your awesome overhaul. Several modpacks have sunny days, and I was really discouraged to see that EVE does not have that. I do hope that someday, sunny days would reach the little Kerbal's lives. Thanks and sorry for being persistent or annoying lol.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but changes that I made in both the GUI and the config don't show up initially when entering the game. I have to click on the 'apply' button in the gui for one cloud layer on one planet and then all of the changes across all of the planets take effect.

Also another 'I don't know if this is normal', there are no clouds on Kerbin in the Main menu?

I've updated to the newest version of this and none of these are fixed. Anyway! Hope this isn't just me, and I look forward to hearing from anyone!

I'm not sure if this is normal, but changes that I made in both the GUI and the config don't show up initially when entering the game. I have to click on the 'apply' button in the gui for one cloud layer on one planet and then all of the changes across all of the planets take effect.

Also another 'I don't know if this is normal', there are no clouds on Kerbin in the Main menu?

I've updated to the newest version of this and none of these are fixed. Anyway! Hope this isn't just me, and I look forward to hearing from anyone!

Both are normal. :)

Glad ya'll like them :) I'd like to take over Better Atmospheres but the scope of it would be smaller than TSG's vision since it was his baby and he handled all the technical stuff and pack presentation (I'm just the art guy hehe). Anyway, I'm getting off topic so I'll move this discussion off this thread and continue it on the Better Atmospheres thread. Worst case, I'll make the textures all publicly available for whatever folks wanna do with them.

OK, I've got a couple of questions

1. How to disable a chosen detail texture (horizontal terrain in my case) without making all the textures go black?

2. For some reason water is completely transparent, even at low angle, making the bottom of the ocean clearly visible on the horizon.. In stock the water was opaque and got even more opaque if you looked at it at an angle, any way to fix this by fiddling with values? Maybe atmosphere below 0m could be coloured to correct that?

3. Is it possible to reassign gui key to something different then alt-e? Alt-e controls roll trim, so manipulating eve in flight messes up controls (and using roll trim is impossible without opening gui).

4. Does anyone have some cool configs for EVE overhaul?

New thing possible with this new version. Here (WIP) tornados on Eve's surface. Static, for the moment. Any chance to get an "easy way" to link layers? Or should we start to do the maths? :blush:

cXfKK4Ol.png

EDIT: I have a new small request... :blush: could be possible that if a 2D layer has a specific texture detail (only in that case), the particles and the shadows appear from the detail texture pattern, instead from the macro layer? This could be a little inconvenience in some punctual cases, but much more accurate and with better look if you have good texture details. Plus, this could allow to create a lot of new effects, like realistic lightnings or maybe even eruptions, just with a few new small textures and particles. I have pretty cool lightning particles in-game right now, but they just can be moved around (can't blink).

Edited by Proot

I thought I'd ask here first before testing in game to potentially save me a bit of time: Does a cloud layer's shadow shadow onto another cloud layer? For example if you had a cloud layer above another by a few hundred metres/couple of km, would the shadow of the above layer be seen on the layer below?

Also, there was a question I was going to ask but I forgot it so I'll edit this when I remember again :P

So proot, how long until we can get something like this? I figure you should be just about done :D

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n48/Hyomoto/2015-01-04_00004_zpsc301ba15.jpg~original

It's done. That pic looks pretty similar to my poles on Kerbin.

I'm gonna try to post a few new pics later. Right now I have a few new things like geisers and ice steams on Eeloo; snow in Kerbin, Duna and Laythe; tornados in Kerbin, Duna and Eve; atmo particles in Kerbin...

I have even lightnings, from clouds to ground. But I can't make them blink, atm.

For real Rbray, this new version is a geniality. Eternal Kudos.

It's done. That pic looks pretty similar to my poles on Kerbin.

I'm gonna try to post a few new pics later. Right now I have a few new things like geisers and ice steams on Eeloo; snow in Kerbin, Duna and Laythe; tornados in Kerbin, Duna and Eve; atmo particles in Kerbin...

I have even lightnings, from clouds to ground. But I can't make them blink, atm.

For real Rbray, this new version is a geniality. Eternal Kudos.

Proot how have you made Virticle structures i.e. perpedicular to the horizontal 2D layers? like tornadoes and stuff? I'd really like to be able to make some geizers on Europa?

I thought I'd ask here first before testing in game to potentially save me a bit of time: Does a cloud layer's shadow shadow onto another cloud layer? For example if you had a cloud layer above another by a few hundred metres/couple of km, would the shadow of the above layer be seen on the layer below?

Also, there was a question I was going to ask but I forgot it so I'll edit this when I remember again

I don't believe they do yet.

Edited by pingopete

Proot how have you made Virticle structures i.e. perpedicular to the horizontal 2D layers? like tornadoes and stuff? I'd really like to be able to make some geizers on Europa?

I don't believe they do yet.

I would assume he just has a lot of 2D layers, but hides them. So that it only shows the volumetric clouds.

I would assume he just has a lot of 2D layers, but hides them. So that it only shows the volumetric clouds.

Yeah me two though I was hoping there may be some, more efficient, system I didn't know of yet

EDIT: TSG in response to your 'best song':

Edited by pingopete

Hi,

In the really older versions of this mod I had made some config files, that unfortunately do not work anymore. I was trying to re-create them but the controls are very different.

You used to be able to give it one large image that it would wrap around the whole planet, and you could set the radius of the sphere it was wrapped to, as well as an X/Y offset to align things. I can't seem to figure out how to do that anymore. Is this no longer possible?

Stacked 2D layers, yes. And works pretty cool, imho.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.