WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Hi Rbray, congratulations for your wonderful job. I just made a test with Scatterer, DOE, TR and PlanetShine, Kerbin seems really much more realistic and awesome. Btw, I noticed a strange effect on the coast line in the night side.

http://i.imgur.com/N05IVVM.png

Is this related to the nuEVE?

No Open-GL or DX11.

Haha, Probably. I'll have to take a look :)

Hmmmm... are you sure your configs are set to "Earth"? I just uploaded another version that should help and try to find the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! You just discovered your first bug! I'll have a fix up later tonight.

Hate to tell you this but the same problem exist for terrain textures. I was applying my blue ocean texture to the oceans of Eve. At the shore line the native blue of the ocean comes out ins stead of the purple color.

That hardcoded sunflare res. pingo :/ That is basically the only thing left for you to high-res-ify haha.

These days I have this (probably wrong) idea that everything that "limits" KSP (resolution, memory, CPU/GPU utilisation, etc.) will be fixed after the Unity 5 hype train has docked and it's released.

We can hope....

Edited by samhuk

rbray89 currently you can see the terrain texture form very repeatable patterns at a high enough altitude. I was wondering if a solution would be to take that one texture and create 4 images of different rotations and apply those images randomly as it is drawn. Just a suggestion which most likely the wrong approach

All seems to work well, but I've found a great disadvantage in the 0-255 parameter for the color: it can not be exceeded.

I mean, 0-1 values allows to use values over 1. That allow stronger color effects, like in the auroras... or to correct the intensity/colour in the particles without touch the main textures.

If I use values over 255 the layer disappears. That kills a lot of possible effects, just for the new color value limits.

Seen this, and if this new system can't function in that ways in the future, IMHO, I strongly prefer the old method.

Edited by Proot

All seems to work well, but I've found a great disadvantage in the 0-255 parameter for the color: it can not be exceeded.

I mean, 0-1 values allows to use values over 1. That allow stronger color effects, like in the auroras... or to correct the intensity/colour in the particles without touch the main textures.

If I use values over 255 the layer disappears. That kills a lot of possible effects, just for the new color value limits.

Seen this, and if this new system can't function in that ways in the future, IMHO, I strongly prefer the old method.

I personally find 0-255 way easier to control colors, but I know what you mean with being able to go higher than 1 and exaggerate colors in auroras as I had to do that in mine. Rbray can you still exaggerate colors? I never fully understood how the 0-1 unit worked so idk how applicable this question is XP

I personally find 0-255 way easier to control colors, but I know what you mean with being able to go higher than 1 and exaggerate colors in auroras as I had to do that in mine. Rbray can you still exaggerate colors? I never fully understood how the 0-1 unit worked so idk how applicable this question is XP

What if I made it so that 0-255 values could be imputed and saved, or a color chooser thing was available, but the actual values stored as the 0-1 range?

What if I made it so that 0-255 values could be imputed and saved, or a color chooser thing was available, but the actual values stored as the 0-1 range?

IMHO.

Is not about the system, In fact I prefer the 0-255 values. It's about how this works. I'll try to explain it.

With this new system, a lot of effects (like the auroras an so on) are dead, because that type of effects are possible thanks to the fact that you can exceed the max values (1.0 now 255).

Using an aurora as example: max values in 0-1 color system should be red 1.0, green 1.0, blue 1.0, alpha 1.0. But use red 1.0, green 20.0, blue 10.0, alpha 0.25 is what makes possible the aurora, because green and blue multiplies his power and glows over the dark while you can still have it in a transparent layer (alpha 0.25).

I don't know if this previous behaviour was deliberate, but was ideal to create a huge range of effects. Can you mantain the old behaviour in the 0-255 system?

Would that mean that you could chose colors as if from a normal 0-255 color wheel, but you could choose values over 255 as well? Like "0, 63, 10000" as an RGB color code? That would be great!

Would that mean that you could chose colors as if from a normal 0-255 color wheel, but you could choose values over 255 as well? Like "0, 63, 10000" as an RGB color code? That would be great!

Yeah, the GUI would be responsible for it. You would just have to be careful with manually editing configs.

Hello

Searching for more info about how is made a 3d planet to be pretty if found some interesting place what can be found for study, hope it help, there are for diferite section rendering, texture & many

http://vterrain.org/ a greath place were it can be found a lot info about rendering, maping, terain & many other thing, some link my they will be broke or not work but is a good place for study

a place with how other was aprouch rendering cloud, sky, light

https://github.com/GameTechDev

Chapter 16. Accurate Atmospheric Scattering & other nice info

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter16.html

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Category:Cg_shaders

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Shaders

p.s. is not in my intention to make some false advertise but sharing info i guess it will benefit for all

cheer

Only with -force-d3d11? I noticed something similar which can be fixed by making _OceanColor in TerrainMaterial match OceanMaterial _SurfaceColor.

Wow.. that fixes the problem! Thanks!

Edit: I can't run -force-opengl, looked it up on the inter-web, apparently it's something to do with hdmi cable and 1080p(?), forgot the details...

Edited by Blastard

Wow.. that fixes the problem! Thanks!

Edit: I can't run -force-opengl, looked it up on the inter-web, apparently it's something to do with hdmi cable and 1080p(?), forgot the details...

What were the values before?

What were the values before?

terrainMaterial -> _OceanColor = 0,0,0,255

oceanMaterial -> _SurfaceColor = 31,55,87,127

Those are the default values you are using in x86-release.zip. I found similar issues in my configs and when I set the values to be equal no color ring like Blastard described. Why do we have a OceanColor in terrainMaterials?

terrainMaterial -> _OceanColor = 0,0,0,255

oceanMaterial -> _SurfaceColor = 31,55,87,127

Those are the default values you are using in x86-release.zip. I found similar issues in my configs and when I set the values to be equal no color ring like Blastard described. Why do we have a OceanColor in terrainMaterials?

These values produce pink?

The Terrain has an ocean color to color the seabed. Stock KSP does something similar but with the vertex color. We pass it in so it can be based off of visibility depth (eg. looking at an angle makes it closer to _OceanColor, looking from above makes it closer to the vertex/sand color).

Really odd that DX 11 doesn't like it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.