WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

13 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I see, but wouldn't it be possible instead to use the orbital texture as a "mask" for the noise function or whatever it's using to generate it's clouds from?

Possibly... It'd be tough, and nuaj uses this interesting trick similar to the ocean you've been using. It is also closed-source and costs money :) So I couldn't' distribute it openly.

34 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Possibly... It'd be tough, and nuaj uses this interesting trick similar to the ocean you've been using. It is also closed-source and costs money :) So I couldn't' distribute it openly.

Indeed it is, though I'm pretty sure the page I showed you was intended as a tutorial and has publicly available code, but it was also a very early version.

4 hours ago, Speadge said:

hey @rbray89, about the "red line": i had the same problems before when i tried your last dev-version.

actually it also happened from time to time with the "default" config. on some game starts it was fine, but mostly the first one after a change lead to the red line for the MainTex-path.

I "worked around" it by testing each setting / cfg change with two instead of a single gamelaunch... anything caching there? (i deleted the MM-cache after each try).

edit: just in case you want to rebuild it: i tried to get the SVE-config into the rebuilded config-form.... welll - failed miserably :D
Guess I'll just wait for @Nhawks17 to do that. I guess he is kinda smarter for this :D

Sorry ;.; It's coming soon, hopefully tomorrow :D 

23 minutes ago, DangerouslyDave said:

Wow! Those look amazing! Are they reusing the IVA models, or have you needed to create all-new parts? I love the subtle window texture too- nice touch.

Re-using IVA. should work with pretty much any model with IVA that has a good mask texture.

7 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Thought of something cool... Added it to EVE

-imgur album snip-

Oh golly. Way cool.

• Are there any stock IVAs this doesn't work with due to scaling issues and/or clipping?
  • Could a MM patch apply this to any add-on part with an IVA?
  • How is performance with this feature enabled?
  • If performance is taxed to much by a complex IVA, could a simplified IVA be created to be displayed instead of the full IVA?

Keep us posted. Wonder what @pizzaoverhead thinks of this...

1 hour ago, curtquarquesso said:

Oh golly. Way cool.

• Are there any stock IVAs this doesn't work with due to scaling issues and/or clipping?
  • Could a MM patch apply this to any add-on part with an IVA?
  • How is performance with this feature enabled?
  • If performance is taxed to much by a complex IVA, could a simplified IVA be created to be displayed instead of the full IVA?

Keep us posted. Wonder what @pizzaoverhead thinks of this...

1) Not from what I've seen

2) It will be managed from EVE configs. No need to bring MM into this. :)

3) I loose a couple FPS 2-3.

4) Possibly... as it stands though, I use some of the stock IVA generation, so no.

Is this feature in the latest build? I'm willing to give it a test. BTW I measured the performance hit of EVE on my system and it is negligible. Kerbal Engineer on the other hand hits performance really hard (like 10fps), I don't know why.

25 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

YES! Finally!! Hopefully your way is a lot easier than how it had to be implemented if you were to use JSI yes? Either way it's still incredible that you're adding it :P 

Not sure... How did JSI do it? For this, it should just be a texture (that might already be in-place if the alpha is correct) and a tiny config file to enable it.

4 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Not sure... How did JSI do it? For this, it should just be a texture (that might already be in-place if the alpha is correct) and a tiny config file to enable it.

If I recall correctly you had to make sure the part had a custom transform as well as textures to go along with it. Basically to get it on a stock part you had to rebuild the part from scratch making sure you had the transforms to JSI's requirements and then it'd work. But if it is just a texture for the way you do it, that'll be a lot easier.

23 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

If I recall correctly you had to make sure the part had a custom transform as well as textures to go along with it. Basically to get it on a stock part you had to rebuild the part from scratch making sure you had the transforms to JSI's requirements and then it'd work. But if it is just a texture for the way you do it, that'll be a lot easier.

As long as the part has a working IVA, all that needs to be done is to mask the main texture with alpha of 1 for fully transparent and 0 for opaque. Then it would be create the config to enable it.

29 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

As long as the part has a working IVA, all that needs to be done is to mask the main texture with alpha of 1 for fully transparent and 0 for opaque. Then it would be create the config to enable it.

That's incredible. That's a lot easier than how JSI was doing it. Wonderful! Looking forward to seeing it!

1 hour ago, Nhawks17 said:

Oh, also, quick question. Do you have any idea what could be causing city day textures to be black and the city night textures to have a gray background sort of deal behind the "light" textures?

is that dx9/dx11 or opengl?havent tried yet with others but dx9 - but i could investigate, if you'd like - if i can reproduce it :D

Edited by Speadge

52 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Its DX9 but it happens on any graphics api

damn - that works fine for me - never seen the problem happen 2 me - might it be a driver issue? im on nvidia 358.87. Can you reproduce it making sure that there is no problem with the textures at all?

Does it happen all the time or just now and then?

15 minutes ago, Speadge said:

damn - that works fine for me - never seen the problem happen 2 me - might it be a driver issue? im on nvidia 358.87. Can you reproduce it making sure that there is no problem with the textures at all?

Does it happen all the time or just now and then?

I'm on the most recent drivers. It only happens every now and again.

16 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Quick question.... I'm using the most recent developmental release you have on Github and clouds are not being applied to Jool. Is this something you're aware of?

News to me... are you certain?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.