Black screen after loading interplanetary vessels

I'm getting black screen crashes fairly regularly when loading interplanetary vessels. This is happening with an unmodded install. Is there a fix? This is a very frustrating bug as I sometimes have to load the game several times in order to get a successful load of the vessel.

hCLowOo.png

[WRN 10:39:10.520] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From TRACKSTATION to FLIGHT (Async) =====================
[LOG 10:39:10.523] [Tracking Station]: SetVessel(null)
[LOG 10:39:10.526] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
[LOG 10:39:12.226] ------------------- initializing flight mode... ------------------
[LOG 10:39:12.548] Target vessel index: 32 vessel count: 47
[LOG 10:39:12.551] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Jool Explorer ----------------------
[LOG 10:39:12.555] setting new dominant body: the Sun
FlightGlobals.mainBody: the Sun
[LOG 10:39:13.119] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 10:39:13.147] stage manager resuming...
[LOG 10:39:13.160] all systems started
[LOG 10:39:13.734] [ScenarioDestructibles]: Started. 39 objects registered
[LOG 10:39:14.161] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Jool Explorer
[LOG 10:39:14.314] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is Jool
[LOG 10:39:14.418] Flight State Captured
[LOG 10:39:14.425] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.425] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.426] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.426] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.427] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.428] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.428] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.429] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.429] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 10:39:14.636] Game State Saved as persistent
[LOG 10:39:14.931] Unpacking Jool Explorer
[LOG 10:39:14.981] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[ERR 10:39:14.987] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 10:39:14.988] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 10:39:14.988] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 10:39:14.988] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 10:39:14.989] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 10:39:14.989] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

Edited by ArmchairGravy
Added image of crash

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same bug. For me seems to only affect vessels on a long journey like a trip to Duna or Eve. I can SOMETIMES work around it by loading a previous save and switching to the vessel using a different method (like the "Switch To" option in the planetary map instead of through the Tracking Center).

I'll post some logs if you need, looks like this thread hasn't got much attention...

• 3 weeks later...

Can you folks please upload an output_log.txt file for all these occurrences? The KSP.log won't show enough useful data, so we need to see the output logs. You can find this in the KSP_Data folder. Keep in mind it'll only contain useful data if you upload a copy of it after a game session where this issue has occurred.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm. All I can see from that log is that the orbital parameters of the craft are being stored as NaN for some reason. Sigh... in order to figure out why​, we'd probably have to get lucky and have an output log from a game session where a craft goes from normal to the bugged state. :(

I'm adding as well.

Only for me it is not interplanetary, but it happens at vehicle launch.

I am using Ubio Weld mod to reduce part count, for the sake of keeping KSP playable with large designs. But this blackscreen bug only seemed to happen with certain probe designs or certain fueltank configurations. It had me thinking it might has to do with either: Vens Stock Revamp and or part reflections, like on solar sails.

First occurance: currently designing a little Duna rover and every time I add a solar panel(!!) it gives me this bug.

Second odd accurance: was trying to reduce part count for a duna lander. Stock 720 fuel tank + stock small RCS fuel tank weld or batteries (stock or from KW) gave this bug as well.

Both solar panel and the smal RCS tank have a reflective surface in Vens revamp. I will trye to removeit to see what happens.

my 2ct.

I just started using Ven's revamp yesterday, and just ran into this bug about an hour ago. It's bad enough that it will poison the game all the way back to the initial menu...

There is no indication of what starts it - I launched a couple of ships yesterday using the same parts I built something with today with no issues. What I did do today was save a ship as a subassembly & stick that inside a known good launch platform - and *then* everything started going pear-shaped.

Not going to post a log yet because unannotated it'd show nothing useful, and it's full of mod part spam also. If I manage to narrow anything down I'll make a stripped out install to verify it, and then post a log.

Edit: problem appears to be related to solar panels as the poster above suspected. Removing panels only from the same craft fixed the issue.

Edited by Van Disaster

Add me to this list. Solar orbit.

For me, the black screen then continues back at the tracking station and/or the space center screens. A complete restart of game seems the only way to temporarily fix it. Upon restart and reload of the game, the interplanetary ship in question is either gone or still shows with a black screen again when taking control, so I'm guessing it also causes some sort of save game corruption? Sometimes, if I reload from an earlier save and try to take control, it will work, but only after multiple attempts.

If I stay inside Kerbin's SOI and do not try to take control of any interplanetary ship(s), then the game runs just fine.

This is a game breaker for me. I normally only play career mode, so once it's time to progress outside Kerbin's SOI, the game is useless.

I am also running some mods, so I'll have to try vanilla. Also, I have not yet tested the solar panel hypothesis.

Edited by nunny

• 2 months later...
Hm. All I can see from that log is that the orbital parameters of the craft are being stored as NaN for some reason. Sigh... in order to figure out why​, we'd probably have to get lucky and have an output log from a game session where a craft goes from normal to the bugged state. :(

Ermm I happen to have this, where I have the bug for a second, but when physics kicks in, it goes black. The problem is, I'm on a mac and I have no idea where to output log is. So I could help out, just if I knew where the logs are

• 6 months later...

Got this problem yesterday, and I restored the vessel from a save only 20 minutes earlier. Seems to work for now.

I do use mods, but no gameplay altering ones. Is my log still going to be useful if this vessel decides to kick the bukkit again?

Ok, so I saved quicksave #59, went to space center, switched to the Sun Orbiter Mk1 and the Kraken got it.

I closed the game, reopened, loaded #59 and everything was cool.

Same symptoms as described earlier: black game screen, UI visible but no navball contents. I can use ESC to get back to the Space Center, but it is also black apart from the UI.

UI buttons don't respond either.

I attached the output_log.txt and savegame files involved. Again, not sure if it is any good because I use mods, but hey, better than nuttin! If anyone is still interested in actively hunting this bug I can try doing it without mods.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=40380621528233381603

KSP version 1.0.4

Platform: Windows 10 x64, installed through Steam

Using -force-opengl command line

Mods used (all managed by CKAN)

[x] Science! 4.10

ATM x86 aggressive 5-0

Chute Safety Indicator 1.0.2

Contract Window + 5.3

EVA Enhancements 1.0.0

Intake Build Aid 0.6

MapViewPlus 0.1.1

Module Manager 2.6.8

Part Commander 1.0.2.4

Planetshine w/ default config -.2.3.1

Portrait Stats 6.0

Edited by Biejoo
possible useful info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.