The Part Idea in Question:

An Apollo-Styled Rover Base

Will utilize the Rovemax Model 1 Stock Inflatable Wheel

http://i.imgur.com/oiHdCtz.jpg

part file

http://www./download/m92sa9t59nl9sal/OpenPartRoverBody.zip

Requires Infernal Robotics

http://imgur.com/a/wDzT3

And I've thrown all of the files up on Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/0B3q8VwW68f8AZ2RzMnRMcGNJSzg

No longer Entries

Hello fellow modders and tinkerers, i present to you the new open part mod week redu- i mean the open-source part week!

The idea is simple. Once a week I will post a SIMPLE part idea for people to work on. During that week you post your work in progress, ask questions, help others and learn how to integrate your creations in-game from start to finish. The difference is your going to post your source art (preferably a unity package) so others can learn from it and discuss how you did what you did. The whole process is open to everyone, so if you don't know anything, that's great you can learn! If you are already a pro then you can help others and show off some of your work. At the end we pack up the best of and post a download link for every one to enjoy.

Weekly Part Idea: Apollo Inspired Rover base for the Rovemax Model M1

Submission Thread: Operational

Current Status: Operational And Taking Entries

Rules (Based off the old Open Parts Mod Week Rules)

• Everything is open. How you handle licensing is up to you (if others can use your stuff) but you must post your source art (as a unity package), screen shots, your finished in-game part with its .cfg and license.txt (if others can use your stuff) packaged in a .zip file so others can learn from what you did. It's not just showing off, it's helping others learn. You also agree if your part wins that week to be included in the best of download pack.
  • You will use constructive criticism only!
    We are here to learn and to teach, not to put people down. I am not a moderator but I can ban people from the contest that are rude or unhelpful with their comments.
  • You will be open to critiques and constructive criticism of your work.
    If you are unclear on what those words mean look them up, but you will not take constructive critiques of your work personally.
  • The Contest will start when the Part type is announced and will last exactly one week. The part shouldn't be overly complex and take up your whole week, this is just for people who work at different times and/or like to work in small amounts spread out across the week.

• Additions that were not part of the original requirements may be made by the part author, provided that the stated stat requirements are not changed.

• Submissions will be handled in this thread after the end date, up till the voting thread is made

If you are the winner and will be picking the next part.

The direction and constraints consisting of its size and purpose at a minimum. "Make an engine" (too general) or "Make the Death Star" (too complicated) is not a valid description.

"Make a 2.5m nuclear engine that looks like it was built in the 1960's" would be valid description.

1. The part has to be a single part
  2. The part must be different visually than any previous part (be creative, if a probe core was done last week, do a science part this one)
  3. Simple enough for beginners to make
  4. Have some direction and constraint to it
  5. Try not to go overboard with the part idea so as not result in people quitting
  6. In the event that no one submits an entry before the end if the week, extend the time by 1 to 2 weeks which then if no one continues to submit, the hist is required to either abandon it or give it to a new, trusted host who will post a new idea while the old idea is officially open for use in another time
Edited by Helix935

The first round got off to shaky start. Helix didn't do things the way they were before (which I suspect is why no one is inspired yet), plus he made THIS thread for submissions too early, instead of a thread for ongoing discussions. It's a bit of a mess lol.

yeah well i have never really been good at these things *shrugs* you live and you learn

You're doing fine. I had a few free minutes last night to get started and hoped maybe some activity would help you kickstart it. :) You can always extend this model prompt for another week if it turns out to be necessary. I just think this is a great way to encourage people to make their first part. Playing at a part with community help is way less intimidating than picking a subject and making a whole mod and then just hoping someone wants to use it. :)

yeah well i have never really been good at these things *shrugs* you live and you learn

Sorry I'm not trying to be disparaging. Maybe you can extend the deadline a bit. Last time a lot of people complained that 1 week is not enough. Maybe they just need some breathing room. 2 weeks, for those who are completely new and need to learn everything from scratch.

Sorry I'm not trying to be disparaging. Maybe you can extend the deadline a bit. Last time a lot of people complained that 1 week is not enough. Maybe they just need some breathing room. 2 weeks, for those who are completely new and need to learn everything from scratch.

i didn't think you were disparaging thaat was just a normal reaction for me also i already added a new rule that extends it by one or two weeks if necessary

@nli2work

Great Job sir well done with the the rover body

My part is ready. When I watched a video of the Apollo Lander for reference, the thing that struck me most was the way it folded up to get there. The most ridiculous thing I've launched in KSP have been contraptions for getting a Rover to other planets - skycranes, garages, rockets with only half a set of landing gear so they fall over on landing... absurdity.

And I've wanted to learn how to use Infernal Robotics for a while... so... I built a collapsible rover base that requires IR to work.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And I've thrown all of the files up on Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/0B3q8VwW68f8AZ2RzMnRMcGNJSzg

Maybe, but you could argue that having it like this separates the losers from the winners even before the contest starts. There's very little we can do to get people to be comfortable with hearing what's wrong with their work. This kind of growth takes years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.