Fast and the Kerbalus - KSC2 Dash

Jatwaa

Welcome to the Big Dogs! This is the KSC2 Dash, a race from KSC1 to KSC2. How fast can you make the dash?

Load up on fuel, its going to be one heck of a ride.

Last champs from the preliminaries were

1st: LitaAlto with 3:24

2nd: Greydragon70 with 3:35

3rd: (Still up in the air I did manage a 4 minute run but...man is that sad)

This time the race is from KSC 1 to KSC 2. KSC 2 is the old dilapidated base sitting far inland the next continent over.

Kerbal Maps : http://www.kerbalmaps.com/?body=Kerbin&loc=20.6575,-146.420556

Alternate coordinates:

20 39 26 N

146 25 14 W

Channel Release for the race:

Mods Permitted

--FAR\Near (just note if you have them installed)

--Kerbal Foundries

--MechJeb (for navigation if needed)

This time, the rules are a bit more lax to allow for more participation!

--Must hover using Kerbal Foundries or jets

--Rovers are permitted, if you think you can keep up

--Jet and Ion engines are a go

--You can use any SOLID boosters

--No LFO engines

--Time does not start till your engines start (so hover away)

--Detatching parts is permitted

--Kerbal and craft must survive

--Landing is not required just passing the KSC2 VAB

So get the crafts designed and get those engines warm. Might want to add some fuel and fastest time wins!

Map to KSC2

http://www.kerbalmaps.com/?body=Kerbin&loc=20.6575,-146.420556

Alt Coordinates:

20 39 26 N

146 25 14 W

This is what you should see when you arrive (sans the landed craft)

2014-11-24_00001.jpg

Scoring - Fastest Speed, nothing else. This is a game of seconds, can you win?

Score Board

--My Time: 1Hr 46 Minutes (Mission Time note, press F3 to view yours)

1st: Greydragon70 - 1:03:54 (

)

2nd:

3rd:

Good Luck!

Edited by Jatwaa

Hey Jatwaa, how long are you collecting entries? It being Thanksgiving weekend, maybe give it until Sunday night?

I'll probably have an entry before that, mind. :wink:

Also, for my fellow racers, in the spirit of helpfulness--if you are willing to go "as the crow flies", even at the risk of Kerbal and craft, here are the bearings you need:

[TABLE=class: outputs]

[TR]

[TD]Initial bearing:[/TD]

[TD]291°40′14″[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Final bearing:[/TD]

[TD]276°41′53″

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You can point your navball so you have a heading of about 292 degrees, and gradually swing it toward 276 degrees as you approach KSC 2, and that should have you there approximately.

Cuzican Aerospace is not responsible if you get lost, crash, meet the Kraken, or have any other failures, up to and including computer disasters and personal health problems, physical or mental.

Edited by LitaAlto
Needed to be more Kerbalish.

By "Time does not start till your engines start (so hover away)", do you mean that the hover jets aren't counted as engines? You're aware that you can hover at 20,000m on basic jets?

This is true, but also

1. With hover jets, you are using Jet engines, which fire engines to hover (will be impacted by time)

2. Flying is prohibited, but hovering is not. Flight can be achieved without wings in FAR and NEAR, so this will be an area of contention

3. This is a long, long mission (it's an endurance run) fuel will need to be balanced for extended hovers (good luck?)

Should be interesting to see what they come up with, best bet it to remain close to the ground, I figured some would not want to use the hover mod or not be able to due to conflicts of mods. But it's a race of hovercars, the flight isn't that challenging, the terrain is, lol.

Good to see this crazy stuff I made being put to good use ;) I'll have a go when I get a few minutes free..

Hey! Lo-Fi! Great mod bud! This one is freaking great. All the wheels, tracks, screws and Grav pods are a fantastic addition to KSP!

Hey Jatwaa, how long are you collecting entries? It being Thanksgiving weekend, maybe give it until Sunday night?

I'll probably have an entry before that, mind. :wink:

Also, for my fellow racers, in the spirit of helpfulness--if you are willing to go "as the crow flies", even at the risk of Kerbal and craft, here are the bearings you need:

[TABLE=class: outputs]

[TR]

[TD]Initial bearing:[/TD]

[TD]291°40′14″[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Final bearing:[/TD]

[TD]276°41′53″

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You can point your navball so you have a heading of about 292 degrees, and gradually swing it toward 276 degrees as you approach KSC 2, and that should have you there approximately.

Cuzican Aerospace is not responsible if you get lost, crash, meet the Kraken, or have any other failures, up to and including computer disasters and personal health problems, physical or mental.

It is Thanksgiving Week and the Christmas shopping time! Alot of people will be traveling so this race will be through next week. That will give plenty of time to design and run through.

2. Flying is prohibited, but hovering is not. Flight can be achieved without wings in FAR and NEAR, so this will be an area of contention

I'm not using FAR/NEAR but... um... I can make some pretty impressive jumps. Will jumps count as flight, and if so, how? Elevation above the ground? Duration of the jump? When does a jump become flight, anyway?

I'm not using FAR/NEAR but... um... I can make some pretty impressive jumps. Will jumps count as flight, and if so, how? Elevation above the ground? Duration of the jump? When does a jump become flight, anyway?

Jumps are go! I charged through the mountains so I had several jumps. I just tried to gently land as best I could, lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go all! I finished...somehow...with luck...

Hey! Lo-Fi! Great mod bud! This one is freaking great. All the wheels, tracks, screws and Grav pods are a fantastic addition to KSP!

Cheers dude, it's really cool knowing people enjoy what we've been creating! LitaAlto kindly gave us a heads up in the KF thread, so I thought I'd say hi and get involved. I have a few ideas, but work is absolutely manic and I'm struggling for time.

Good questions, actually! I don't have FAR/NEAR installed either, so I'll be running stock aero too.

2nd: Graydragon70 with 3:35

Hey, I just noticed that you spelled my name wrong before. It's greydragon70 with an "e" not an "a". lol

I just made a run at 47 minutes with an average speed of 206m/s but I ran out of fuel 30 to 40 kilometers away from Old KSP. Soooo Close.

:huh:(Eye twitches)

I think I've got it though, just a little more fuel and I'm there.

Cheers dude, it's really cool knowing people enjoy what we've been creating! LitaAlto kindly gave us a heads up in the KF thread, so I thought I'd say hi and get involved. I have a few ideas, but work is absolutely manic and I'm struggling for time.

Your Kerbal Foundries mod is absolutely amazing, it's my favorite. Combine it with Impossible Innovations and the possibilities are endless!!!!!

I've done several videos on youtube featuring both mods. Hopefully I can start getting more subscribers so I can show more people.

greydragon70

CEO Jolly Roger Aerospace

OK Video is up Link will be below. My route took me south of the first mountan chain and as I past it I turned northward back on target. Over the water I turned a little north to squeeze through the next mountan chain. Then turning south back to my target. Eleasped time 1 hour 3 minutes 54 seconds. Sorry Jatwaa, I was a little more daring and went full speed the whole way. Average speed was 213-218m/s and top speed over water was 226.3m/s. That really tested my pilot skills but it was a blast.

Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/j5TJscbD4UI

2nd: Graydragon70 with 3:35

Hey, I just noticed that you spelled my name wrong before. It's greydragon70 with an "e" not an "a". lol

I just made a run at 47 minutes with an average speed of 206m/s but I ran out of fuel 30 to 40 kilometers away from Old KSP. Soooo Close.

:huh:(Eye twitches)

I think I've got it though, just a little more fuel and I'm there.

Sorry man! I keep telling myself its with an E and this time I didn't catch myself! Correction Incoming!

OK Video is up Link will be below. My route took me south of the first mountan chain and as I past it I turned northward back on target. Over the water I turned a little north to squeeze through the next mountan chain. Then turning south back to my target. Eleasped time 1 hour 3 minutes 54 seconds. Sorry Jatwaa, I was a little more daring and went full speed the whole way. Average speed was 213-218m/s and top speed over water was 226.3m/s. That really tested my pilot skills but it was a blast.

Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/j5TJscbD4UI

Holy Crap! You were moving! I was so nervous about crashing although my design would not have crashed...eh...theoretically hahahaha. That is a fantastic run! Will post an update to the scoreboard!

Your Kerbal Foundries mod is absolutely amazing, it's my favorite. Combine it with Impossible Innovations and the possibilities are endless!!!!!

I've done several videos on youtube featuring both mods. Hopefully I can start getting more subscribers so I can show more people.

greydragon70

CEO Jolly Roger Aerospace

Yes, I use both Impossible Innovations and Kerbal Foundries in about 90 percent of my builds now. Kerbal Foundries has immensely added interest back into KSP for me. The Anti-grav and the WORKING tracks are absolutely amazing. Matter of fact, I may do a video dedicated to Kerbal Foundries, I already did one for Impossible Innovations, this mod needs a showcase! So for those already done with the race, be on standby for a "build your most awesome craft with Kerbal Foundries challenge and video"!

Sounds good :D I've been trying to build a craft to make the epic journey to KSC2, but stock aero is driving me nuts so I've just installed NEAR. Not had a lot of time, but hoping to get an entry in at some point!

I'm dropping out. I'm struggling in RL with some personal stuff and don't have it together enough to fly. Sorry. :(

Congrats, greydragon70. That was a good run of yours.

No worries! I hope it all works out for you, sorry to hear. Keep a smile on and chin up :D

Go for it! I love firespitter, hopefully it works with Beta!

Snjo just released a temporary patch--there's a lot of things that need to be properly updated, and some of the patches are based on code RoverDude made, which he himself called "hacky", so Your Mileage May Vary.

The patch is here if you want to try it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had attempted a run the first week of this challenge, but I ran into technical difficulties, let's just say. Then life got too weird and I had to abandon the challenge, which is a shame.

Still got video, with color commentary from Jeb:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.