RemoteTech Help!

I have a 4 sat network at 2,500km orbit with 1 sat on the north pole orbit (5 sats total)

The network is fairly stable but I can see that it will not be for much longer.

Where I am having a devil of a time is getting the near perfect orbits actually perfectly inline as well as a stable distance from each other.

I am using MechJeb because when it comes to this accurate of orbits I need all the help I can get however it appears (although not certain) that mechjeb doesn't work well when orbits are nearly perfect already and the adjustments are small and/or simply using remotetech. Regardless of the reasons my mechjeb is horrifically unreliable for these corrections (or I am unclear how to use the tool).

I have looked for videos but nothing that gets specific in these areas.

• 2 months later...

HI,

I have had the same problems and have worked through them somewhat.

I understand that there is a way to get the spacing of the satellites by using the maneuver planner to make a hohman transfer to an existing satellite and then use the node editor to add time to the maneuver to get your time spacing.

Look here though I found this set me up very well.

As for the synchronizing.. I see ther is a thing called a translatron in Mech jeb... I might figure out how to use that some time?

Firstly I get my AP's all the same.. typicall abit higher than the perfect 2868.4km for kerbin... and then get the PE a bit lower.

Then use RCS to fine tune the altitudes as close as possible.

Then use MECHJEB set on surface velocity to get the orbital period as close as possible to 6 hours day orbit period.

I find if I can get this really good it stays synched for ages before needing to drop altitudes to make any satelite speed up to catch the desired location.

I don't look much at Ap and Pe when synchronizing satellites; rather I use orbital period (available from Engineer Redux, probably MechJeb too). Use RCS with trim on to get the orbital period to match as close as possible (I can get it to a tenth of a second or less with no autopilot of any sort, just tap the prograde/retrograde translation keys gently).

If the orbital period is the same (and no Pe is inside atmosphere...) you mostly don't have to worry about aligning the other orbital elements perfectly, but if you want you can circularize by translating radially (i.e., "up" and "down") when the orbits cross (not like you would normally circularize, by burning tangentially on Ap/Pe), and align inclinations like you would otherwise do.

As long as you don't burn prog/retro anymore, your periods will remain in sync as you adjust the orbits.

I think for Kerbin you want it to be 2868km.. also like the guy above said its pretty easy to geo sync your stuff with engineer. Your "orbital period" on stock settings should be 6d, you can easily get it to within .1 seconds just put a thrust limiter on your engine. Then once your sats are up there its easy to triangulate them as well... just change your orbital period -+ 10 minutes by burning pro or retro.. .and speed up time to position sats, when in position just burn opposite side to get your 6d orbital period again.

The other thing you can do is to set the other satellite as a target and then in the target mode you can burn retro until velocity to the target is 0. that will match the orbital of the target. I have had real good results with this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.