Devnote Tuesdays: The "Doin' the Work" Edition

SQUAD

Great news ! Only thing I could recommend to the mk3 would be to add the stripe (from passenger module) to the fuel tanks (ends on adapter) to keep it constant.

Congrats on progress (in and out of KSP development) :)

edit: YAY devnote TUESDAYS came out on tuesday ! :P

edit2: wait is there a new 1-2.5m adapter out there ? (note image 6) what posed the decision to change it ?

Edited by Nemrav

So,myes,mIneeally like the mk3 parts, but the current landing is just big enough for mk2, and I have the feeling that mk3 will make them look like toothpicks. Also, we really,mreally, really are going to need bigger, fatter, bulkier, larger wings now for the mk3 parts. I really hope those parts are already in the works, but if not, well, now you have an idea on what to do next.

*Sees new Mk3 Parts* *Jaw breaks off and falls to floor* Those are better than I was expecting! Like, better than the Mk2 Parts.

Though, a little suggestion, since these pieces are of a different shape and size as the current Mk3 Parts, would it not make sense to just rename them "Mk4?"

Also congrats Rowsdower!

EDIT: Oh and Ted, I don't see much of an issue with those seperatrons being upsidedown, but in the 2nd screenshot it appears that once activated, they will overheat the Mystery Goo and destroy the science.

Edited by RocketPilot573

Let's see:

Cool cockpit: Check.

Variable length LF tanks: Check.

Variable length LFO tanks: Check

Various adapters: Check.

RCS tanks: Check

Mk. III Cargo bays: Not check, but I'm going to assume they're planned for .90

Bigger landing gear to hold the weight of the new crafts: Not check, but maybe the new editing system will make it easier to put landing gear exactly where you need it.

I'd expected Mk. III to Mk II and I adapters, but the additional Mk. III to 2.5m and 3.75m adapters are going to be REALLY useful. Parts look great. Overall, I approve of this update.

*Sees new Mk3 Parts* *Jaw breaks off and falls to floor* Those are better than I was expecting! Like, better than the Mk2 Parts.

Though, a little suggestion, since these pieces are of a different shape and size as the current Mk3 Parts, would it not make sense to just rename them "Mk4?"

Also congrats Rowsdower!

Mk 2 spaceplane parts are slightly taller than 1m parts, and as wide as 2m parts. These Mk3 parts follow the same ratio, being slightly wider than 2m parts but as tall as 3m parts.

The existing Mk3 parts are replaced by 2m rocket parts and the new adapters.

Mk 2 spaceplane parts are slightly taller than 1m parts, and as wide as 2m parts. These Mk3 parts follow the same ratio, being slightly wider than 2m parts but as tall as 3m parts.

The existing Mk3 parts are replaced by 2m rocket parts and the new adapters.

I was referring to the MKx as a design number, not a form of measurement.:P

Rowsdower, the heartiest of congratulations and the bestest of well-wishes! :)

With the upgradeable buildings mechanic in place, at the very least we can take a mod-based path to a greenfield space program. ;)

We can only hope that is the case. :)

(And the same for the limits--I'm very worried that the rules will be hardcoded.)

A forum rep goes to the person who <a href="https://i.imgur.com/ar6N4Lt.jpg"><strong>SPOTS</strong></a> my <a href="https://i.imgur.com/mA0fAmp.jpg"><strong>MISTAKE</strong></a> (and pay no attention to my extremely creative craft name or imgur’s compression artifacts).</span></p>

I'm assuming the sepratrons aiming backward on the pod? Possibly destroying the goo?

EDIT: I see people commenting on the staging. Dunno, it looked mostly OK to me, except that the SRBs and LFO engines will stage at the same time, but probably not burn out at the same time.

I like the highlighting shader, and it's great to see a view of the new sortable menus.

HOWEVER. I thought someone had said that the engines and fuel tanks were being separated? I still think they should be. Especially after adding mods, the general "propulsion" category can get quite huge. And it's pretty big with just stock parts anyway, and adding more with the spaceplane parts.

<p><span><strong>Anthony (Rowsdower): </strong>This week’s been a bit of a whirlwind. I got married over the weekend.

Congrats!

Edited by NecroBones

I’ve even added a new app to the toolbar that appears in the VAB/SPH, that keeps track of your craft’s stats like size, part count and total mass.
This sounds really awesome. If resource amounts are included it means I or anyone so inclined can easily punch in the delta V calculation. Not so much need for KER any more, least for getting started with simple stuff.
Also, discussing some technical details about KerbalEdu with TeacherGaming team.
Nice to hear this is still a thing you're doing work with.
Few final flourishes for experience systems including the all new pilot and engineer skill sets. Higher level engineers will now be required to repair the parts which can be repaired including wheels, legs and packing parachutes!
Looking forward to this. IMHO so long as they don't change the rocket's physical performance, giving Kerbals distinctive skills will really add interest.
spent a good chunk of time talking stuff out with Lawyers regarding a new EULA and TOS that will be permissive of things like fansites.
Oh joy, legalese to read through.
You also might want to see THIS.
Hot Dang! These look awesome. Though it's a shame Hugo's version has gone to waste. Do you think that could be made another "official mod" like the footballs, for people interested in its simpler look?
A forum rep goes to the person who <a href="https://i.imgur.com/ar6N4Lt.jpg"><strong>SPOTS</strong></a>
Great look to the new UI there. Looks like a lot more room for parts tabs, presumably for the advanced search system. Might mods also be able to add their own tabs there? Would be a big help for eg stuff like TAC LS, which could have its own tab instead of cluttering utility.

All round a really huge devnotes. Can't believe I overlooked it until now.

I feel like we should have some thicker, more solid-looking wings segments to compliment the fancy new parts.
Seconding this. Some nice fat fuelled wings would be great. Many real planes have fuelled wings and it helps maintain stable pitch trim, often a problem for KSP planes.

Various people have said bigger gear. I agree with that, but I'd also like a smaller non-retractable gear. Mainly as a tailwheel for taildraggers, I've found that quite a nice configuration but with the stock gear it's a bit awkward to build. But it could also be useful for micro planes in general, and maybe as unpowered wheels for rovers in particular if you want to build a trike.

So how many kerbals does the passenger module carry?

Must be in the order of 16 to 24 (depending on the airline).

Do we get cargo space under the passenger deck?

So many question so much fun to be had trying them out.

Edit: I think the answer to the what's in the cargo space of the passenger module might be Jet Fuel.

After all how would the Jumbo jet in the sample images fly and not get all out of balance without fuel tanks in the body pieces.

Edited by mattinoz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.