New Mk3 Parts Partially Unveiled

Jodo42

Anyone else getting a B9 HL vibe from these parts? They seem to be about the same shape as the HL fuselage system from B9.

Yeah. I hate to say this, but I was pretty "meh" when I saw the pics. It's nothing against the artistry or anything, as they certainly look good, but I was expecting... I dunno... just something we haven't seen before. I don't know that there's anything about these parts that would make me pick them over the existing B9 HLs, though it's still early yet.

Just got an idea: we could have the main 0.90 release without cargo bays, and when they're finished there could be a much smaller update adding just those in. That way people who dont care about cargo bays would have their release sooner, and people who don't care about the release date would have them a bit later.

Of course I don't exactly know if that would break devs workflow or not, so it might be a terrible idea as well

Check the texture on the cap end of the parts. You can see a smaller circle inside that looks like the circumference of a 2,5m tank. Also, pay attention to the adaptors. If you look closely you'll see that the width of the pieces is larger than your estimation, meaning a cargo bay of this size could fit a 2,5m tank easily inside it.

yeah, that makes sense. the mk3 to mk2 adapters don't look like they narrow at all, but it's probably just the perspective. which means, we can't easily determine it from the images, but it's probably a whole fraction like 2.75m or 3m.

Thanks for the quick rundown on the Mk2 dimensions. You just saved me a bunch of time. ;)

The four verts that make up the peak curves are still going to take pretty finicky trial and error. I don't have them exact yet, but they don't seem to conform to anything more than what looked like the best fudge to blend from that flat slope (which looks like it's almost exactly 1m from vertex to vertex) to a radial curve. I should just do a directX mesh rip and be done with it. unless that's against the eula in which case i would totally never do that ever.

if you don't want the new mk3 parts in 0.90, just don't use them or delete them. Why is this an issue.

because i want it nowwww

edit: wow, the forums automatically deflate your post if you type the whole thing in caps. but what if I'm using sarcastic caps?

If you don't want the new MK3 parts in 0.90, just don't use them or delete them. Why is this an issue.

I hate people thinking like this. "if you don't like it, don't use it" IF I DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, IT IS ISSUE, because i DON'T like SQUAD "wasting" time on things I won't use. Example: if devs say "we will work on WW2 plane parts for next two years" from some people's perspective waiting for that update will be waste of time... Never say "if you don't like it, don't use it".

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Any amount of work done is non-wasted time. It might not be what you like, or expect, but it's obvious that the work Squad has done has consistently been great, and all additions have been welcome. I can think of tons of uses for MK3 parts without cargo bays or large wheels. They are hardly "useless".

Also, iirc, in the first announcement about .90, it was mentioned that after this release, further releases will be faster and more content-oriented. So Mk3 Cargo bays, big wheels, giant wings, or other more fun additions will come out when they come out.

In the meantime I think people should chill a bit and be thankful for what they are getting, which is a release full of badass content. It is Thanksgiving after all.

So, thanks Squad. And thanks, Porkjet. You guys keep doing great work, and keep on keeping on!

They won't be limited to fuel and crew. Cargo bays would be nice, but radially attaching stuff to the top is always an option.

Not much of an option. At this weights/thrust (at least for spaceplanes) it will be very tricky to build assymetrically balanced propulsion system, which must stay balanced during whole course of flight (without using several mods - but if I use mods, I may as well just use mod with cargobays).

I hate people thinking like this. "if you don't like it, don't use it" IF I DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, IT IS ISSUE, because i DON'T like SQUAD "wasting" time on things I won't use. Example: if devs say "we will work on WW2 plane parts for next two years" from some people's perspective waiting for that update will be waste of time... Never say "if you don't like it, don't use it".

Some people will use it and be completely happy with it. This game was made for more people than just you.

Gonna say it again. No mk3 cargo bays makes the new mk3 parts USELESS. Its that simple.

USELESS to you.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but lets be reasonable, folks. Cargo bays did not exist until the last update, and now we have people saying (not in as many words) "I don't care about all the other features Squad has worked on for 0.90. I want my cargo bays and if you don't give them to me then don't give me anything at all". I can't think of a better word for this behavior other than "childish". Please people, don't lose sight of the bigger picture here. We did not even know about MK3 parts until Tuesday and we have people saying "meh, looks like B9". Give Squad a break here. You are demanding a feature be included or hold back the release for a feature you did not know EXISTED until 3 days ago.

It's not childish to suggest that content planned for 0.90 gets released in 0.90 (indeed, it was planned for 0.25 I think, but they pushed it back). We've known for a quite a while that the Mk3 parts would be overhauled (ever since Hugo got hired, actually so for a few months, at least) and that they would be large enough to hold 2.5m parts (you know, if we had cargo bays...), what wasn't known was the shape and texture (though with PJ on the job, it's reasonable to have expected they're the same style and standard as the Mk2 parts).

As for "I want my cargo bays and if you don't give them to me then don't give me anything at all", it's very much the opposite, actually. I would like them to give me cargo bays, along with everything else Mk3 shaped and I think slightly delaying the release to include things that would otherwise only just miss it is a perfectly valid suggestion and not childish at all.

Also, don't misread a suggestion for a demand. If it was a demand, I would have said so. It wasn't even a suggestion per se, it was more of a discussion. It's a small change that Squad could make that would A, make a lot of players very happy and B, be better for them as it's more time to test and QA other aspects. Even if it gets to the point where they're all just sat at their desks waiting for PJ to send the files over, I'm sure they could find something productive to do.

Oops, my bad, I should have stated my point more clearly. MK3 parts are 100% known to be actively being upgraded. I should have said something more to the point of "we have only seen these parts for a couple days and there are calls from people to scrap all previous plans to wait for the cargo bays". I totally get that it SUCKS not having cargo bays, but with the amount of other features included with 0.90, it seems a bit ridiculous to hold back a release for what is clearly a really cool part (and will open up the game to new opportunities) compared to the sheer volume of other things they have added. The devs need to release 0.90 to us so they can get feedback. all the time wasted waiting for the cargo bays to be completed is time that could be spent reading bug reports and squashing them.

all the time wasted waiting for the cargo bays to be completed is time that could be spent reading bug reports and squashing them.

I could be wrong, but it's not the players job to find bugs and fill out bug reports. That's the QA/Experimentals teams jobs and, like I said, if they hold off on the release, that gives the people whose job it is to find bugs and test things more time to do that. You seem to have your sentence a little wrong, here, I'll correct it for you:

all the time waiting for the cargo bays to be completed is time that should be spent reading bug reports from QA/Experimentals and squashing them.

I don't think it's ridiculous to slightly hold back a release for a part that, as you said, is really cool and will open up a large amount of new opportunities. As it stands right now, the harsh truth is that the only thing I would be able to take up to LKO with the new Mk3 parts is a boatload of kerbals. I could do that with Mk2 cargo bays and command seats right now. In terms of usefullness, the current line up doesn't add a lot.

0.90 is supposed to be the "feature-complete" release, and any subsequent releases will be additional content. Cargo bays are a feature that is already in the game, different sizes of cargo bays are simply additional content. Squad would be perfectly sensible to focus on the feature-completeness and release 0.90 without worrying about making sure it has all the content that can be polished and released in a better state at a later time.

(Or, they can rush to put in a half finished version of content they want to complete later, and get a whole crap-storm of barn proportions.)

Edit:

I could be wrong, but it's not the players job to find bugs and fill out bug reports.

That's pretty much what alpha and beta releases are for.

Edited by razark

0.90 is supposed to be the "feature-complete" release, and any subsequent releases will be additional content.

Why even bother releasing Mk3 parts in 0.90 at all then? It's just content, after all. Same with the extra biomes and all other stuff that's just content. Whether Mk3 parts should be in 0.90 is a different discussion - the fact is that they are, but it's incomplete. That just doesn't make sense to me. EDIT: Also, I am not telling them to rush. Pretty much the opposite, actually - I'm saying 'take your time, delay the release if you need to because at the moment, you're going to include an incomplete set'.

Great, so why even have QA and Experimentals then.. sure, I'll do their job, except for free (in fact, I've even paid to do it), and the fix won't come for another 3 months or so. Gotcha.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

0.90 is supposed to be the "feature-complete" release, and any subsequent releases will be additional content. Cargo bays are a feature that is already in the game, different sizes of cargo bays are simply additional content. Squad would be perfectly sensible to focus on the feature-completeness and release 0.90 without worrying about making sure it has all the content that can be polished and released in a better state at a later time.

(Or, they can rush to put in a half finished version of content they want to complete later, and get a whole crap-storm of barn proportions.)

Edit:

Nope. Scope-complete. Means that everything's there, just not fully.

Feature-complete is when everything is ironed out and polished.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.