For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

The described test conditions are dirty, as all of you know about each other's presence.

Of course. That was from the top of my head 30 minutes after I woke up. :lol:

Relevant fact: Just a little while ago, I thought someone was staring at me, when it was just their face angled slightly towards mine. So peripheral vision definitely plays a role. I know (from Brain Games, actually) that PV has pretty bad resolution, so I guess it just picks up on areas of different color. The more of a face you can see, the closer they are to looking at you.

As for sensing things in proximity, as in the OP, definitely yes. You can walk as quietly as possible towards someone, or even float magically in midair, and they will still have a chance of knowing you're there, even with their eyes shut and back turned. You change the acoustics and perhaps the air currents. We can pick up on both.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Can you think of a better way to explain the Big Bang than this? This is my first attempt at it but I'm still struggling to get it right.

But... but... it’s not in sea shanty form.... lol

The whole universe was in a hot dense state....

10 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Can you think of a better way to explain the Big Bang than this? This is my first attempt at it but I'm still struggling to get it right.

Except for the bit that we don't know (and based on current understanding, probably can't know) if that rubber band is actually infinite, has end points, or loops around on itself. Although, to be fair, unless something changes about our understanding, it can't possibly matter which one it is, either.

Also, the way you said that bugs move apart from each other initially makes it sound like bugs are moving along the band. It's a semantic ambiguity that's more to do with the language than anything, but maybe if you start by saying the band is stretching and that's why bugs are moving apart? It is a bit of a cart-before-the-horse from historical perspective of understanding it, but does provide some clarity. Idk if it matters that much to the explanation, though, as consequent sentences make it clear that it's the band that stretching and not the bugs crawling on it.

Are there any makers of plastic models of spacecraft? I have nothing against buying a fully assembled model, but it would more fun to assemble it and paint it.

I know Tamiya has made a 1/100 Atlantis orbiter and Saturn V, and there is some other company that made a 1/48 LK lunar lander.

10 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Are there any makers of plastic models of spacecraft? I have nothing against buying a fully assembled model, but it would more fun to assemble it and paint it.

I know Tamiya has made a 1/100 Atlantis orbiter and Saturn V, and there is some other company that made a 1/48 LK lunar lander.

Airfix appear to have made lots

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Airfix-Rockets-Space-Models/1189/bn_37573175

18 hours ago, DDE said:

How to make me excrements bricks with a mere three-letter word.

Scared you? Probably scared Buzz.

Reminds me of the old George Burns quote. He said (when he was 95 or so), "Every morning when I wake up, I open one eye and look around. If I don't see lilies and candles, I get up."

5 hours ago, DDE said:

Purposefully presented without context

Hide contents

E21WW1cXwAAUa3s?format=jpg&name=medium

I think we can start a poll on who LARPs better:

Hide contents

fghfgfghfgfg_1200_9.JPG

OhMyDearGawd... not a good look for them.

EDIT: For what it's worth... if I ever see a SpaceFarce guy put his unit badge on his right shoulder (following Army traditions), I may just have to... exhibit self control and extreme scorn.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

So what would be a good name for it? I'm not asking for a better name, because that'd be just about anything, but a good one. A "Navy" rather than a "Force" would probably be a good start, but "US Space Navy" still sounds kind of dorky. Again, overwhelmingly better, but that bar is practically buried. "Astral Navy" would be on brand, but it makes me picture energy crystals and meditation. Not the right fit. "Orbital Navy" has a good ring to it, but it's very Coast Guard in concept.

Part of it is that we might be getting hosed with an English language here. I bet Germany will have a fantastic name for that branch of the armed forces. It might still just literally say "space force," but it will sound cool. Then again, Russia had every opportunity to make something good, given the flexibility of the language and rich history of space-themed fiction, and then completely blew it. So maybe I'm giving Germany too much credit too.

But I'm still curious if anyone has better ideas, whether their own or encountered in the wild.

7 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

EDIT: For what it's worth... if I ever see a SpaceFarce guy put his unit badge on his right shoulder (following Army traditions), I may just have to... exhibit self control and extreme scorn.

They should wear a dark camouflage mantle full of stars and a badge with a nuke Orion and wings.
(Wings - to aerobrake.)

@K^2, I've always been a fan of Orbit Guard.

Mostly because, yes, with its original mission set USSF is close enough to USCG. Would have steered them clear of provocative stuff like Delta IX Orbital Warfare.

Space_Operations_Command_-_Space_Mission

Edited by DDE

12 minutes ago, DDE said:

@K^2, I've always been a fan of Orbit Guard.

Mostly because, yes, with its original mission set USSF is close enough to USCG. Would have steered them clear of provocative stuff like Delta IX Orbital Warfare.

Spoiler

They should hire a graphic designer to unify these schematics. Typography is all over the place and in general it looks very cluttered.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Relevant

Let me correct this for you.

Releva
nt

(See the slides)

55 minutes ago, lrd.Helmet said:

I want to thank you for that article, but I'm not sure I'm actually happy I got to see these slides...

And now back to the topic of mental weapon (see that thread).

It works!

3 hours ago, DDE said:
Spoiler

Everything about this poster is objectively bad. And that "Semper Supra" is a real kick to the teeth. If you want marines in space, I'm pretty sure you just put marines in space. You don't need a new military branch for that. And trying to one-up the moto is conduct unbecoming. Ugh.