For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

36 minutes ago, K^2 said:

The only situations where it's just a bad idea is if you are either trying to build a light aircraft that's controlled directly by the pilot without any stability assist, because such aircraft would be too unstable to fly safely, or if you are building something that's meant to go really, really fast, and you can't fit the canard of adequate size within the innermost...

Ah I see. Thanks for the answer :)

Does anyone remember when we saw that mirror-like coating on the F-22? Well, now it's appeared on both the (supposedly retired) F-117 and the F-35. Clearly someone at the DoD is greatly interested in this coating, whatever it does...

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43938/f-35-and-f-117-spotted-flying-with-mysterious-mirror-like-skin

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

1.  This happens to those who neglects the proven classics known to every kid.

Spoiler

%D0%91%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%87%D0%

Hematogen.

2. The secondary problem they will face (or are hiding from us).

Spoiler

artworks-000076450619-9usohj-t500x500.jp869314.jpg

P.S.
Btw about the "Surrender to the ExtraTerrestrials Initiative" SETI.

What if after years of travel they need  our blood to raise their blood cells?

Edited by kerbiloid

10 minutes ago, DDE said:

The West has only begun to tap the meme potential of that product.

They had no idea, who they are messing with.

P.S.
Just to make it clear for those who didn't eat the blood candy in their childhood.

https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Гематоген?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru

(The English wiki is poor here.

Actually, it's what the Masai consume directly from the cow, blood + milk.
Just with sugar.

Edited by kerbiloid

Well - if you used horse blood and milk; it could be Mongol Crunch.  Or Tartar Treat?

Since we are on this... I had a professor, years ago, telling me that there was a phrase in Russian that described the Mongol years - and it roughly translated as 'Bloody Mud'.  Any truth to this?

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I had a professor, years ago, telling me that there was a phrase in Russian that described the Mongol years - and it roughly translated as 'Bloody Mud'.  Any truth to this?

Never heard anything like that.

The usual term is "Mongolo-Tartarian Yoke", and several ethnic words relating to "pagans" in offensive sense.

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Well - if you used horse blood and milk; it could be Mongol Crunch.  Or Tartar Treat?

The horse meat sausages are a thing, but rare now. 

And Hematogen was invented by a Swiss professor, so probably Swissghis Khan Crunch.

34 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Why is it the only thing I can think of now is some British guy whinging about 'The Bloody Swiss"?

Just remember the Swiss vendetta with Landsknechts.

They just cosplay peaceful bourgeois trading chocolate, clocks, and army knives.

6 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

So... a Power Bar - except with animal proteins.  Gotcha

Yeah. It's almost exactly like these whey protein bars. Except, instead of whey, it's albumin, and instead of cow's milk, it's made from cow's blood. It's also somewhat debated whether it actually has special benefit over aforementioned whey protein or any other source of protein. It's at least as good as these, so it still has benefits, but it might literally just be a strange power bar.

"Soviet Blood Candy" has a more menacing ring to it, though. XD

Blood contains iron.

Originally the hematogen mass production started in 1920s after a decade of wars, due to the problem of mass children dystrophy and anemia, as a cheap way to replenish the iron (required for red blood cells), proteins, and calories.

As the bovine blood is a cheap and mass producing waste of the meat industry, and it's rich with iron, that was the way.

Once started, this good practice still continues and hopefully will.

P.S.
Also, it just helps to cure the natural thirst for blood. Sometimes, for a whole day.

P.P.S.
Probably the origin of the technology is lying in the Swiss-Mongolian traditions to make iron candies out of enemy blood.

Edited by kerbiloid

21 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Flagella.
The thing in the middle is catching the stars to eat them.
And the galaxy arms are a whirl caused by this thing to raise the mud and make this easy.

We are living at the hungry unicellular, and floating around it in a whirl.

But the unicellular itself is floating towards some bigger thing's throat known as Great Attractor.

Lovecraft blesses this.

I wanna ask for you who lives in a country with winter season. Which one is better for navigating snowy environment? Wide off-road wheels (chains optional)? or caterpillar track with additional grousers? or heavy duty rotary screw propeller?  Does it also effective on wide flat of ice terrain (not soft snow)?

14 minutes ago, ARS said:

rotary screw propeller

A road and grass killer, so never became popular.

The arctic rovers use tracks, as the contact area is greater.

The snowcats as well.

The rocket carriers who need to drive both across the roads and the snow use many wheels, because tracks kill the asphalt.

10 minutes ago, ARS said:

I wanna ask for you who lives in a country with winter season. Which one is better for navigating snowy environment? Wide off-road wheels (chains optional)? or caterpillar track with additional grousers? or heavy duty rotary screw propeller?  Does it also effective on wide flat of ice terrain (not soft snow)?

Nothing beats studded tires on well maintained roads. But I get the feeling you were asking about off road travel instead. I am not a practitioner myself, but every example I see points towards tracks as the optimally balanced solution. Rubber tracked articulated vehicles can achieve decent speeds on roads without destroying the paving as a bonus. They are surprisingly common in the militaries around the arctic region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracked_articulated_vehicle

What are some of the more basic rocket engines in the 50 - 100 second isp range?

For those curious, I’m asking because I’ve been doing some math and that isp is about what I’d need for a project I’m thinking of. :D

Edit: I found a table on wikipedia, apparently Helium cold gas thrusters can easily get 150 sec isp! Maybe my first design (more of an idea currently) might actually work.

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

6 hours ago, ARS said:

There are some Antarctic transports that use partially inflated “monster truck” tires (probably studded) for a larger contact area. IIRC that’s best for icy slopes

As for my own contribution here, I thought some people here might like to share…

Edited by StrandedonEarth

@ARS - The Russians have quite a few really interesting solutions - many variants of tracked vehicles, but also some with huge balloon tires.  Just google Russian Off Road  - ah heck, I did it for you:

Russian off road snow vehicle - Google Search

Lots of cool vehicles to stare at!