For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

1. Could very long range SAMs and AAMs (S-400, AIM-120) be repurposed as sounding rockets?

Yes, the nike missile has commonly be used for this, it tend to require an lighter payload or an second stage but this would not be needed for something like S-400 long range missiles as they are anti ballistic. 
However nike was retired a long time ago and the retired missiles was cheap. an S-400 abm missile is the opposite of cheap and its better to get an cheap sounding rocket setup. 

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

3. Code names were used for prototypes of certain weaponry in the USSR. Tanks were referred to as “Object” while aviation design bureaus used the term “izdeliye” (translated as “product”). Did rocket and space design bureaus have any such code names, or were missiles and space launchers so secret that they could just use the real designation?*

The Soviet rocket industry was a collision between Korolev's artillerymen and Chelomei's aviators. I don't think there ever was a coherent arrangement... Sputnik was ordered as Object D, though.

Just now, magnemoe said:

Yes, the nike missile has commonly be used for this, it tend to require an lighter payload or an second stage but this would not be needed for something like S-400 long range missiles as they are anti ballistic. 

S-400 doesn't really have an ABM missile, including the 40N6. If it did, it probably wouldn't get slapped together with S-300V's conical antimissiles (9M82, 77N6) as part of S-500.

7 hours ago, DDE said:

The Soviet rocket industry was a collision between Korolev's artillerymen and Chelomei's aviators.

And with Yangel, then later with Glushko, and a little with Makeev (the projects of silo SLBM as BM).
(Let alone Myasishchev , Lulka, and Lavochkin with rocket planes).

Also the engine skirmish between/among Glushko, Kosberg, Isaev, Lulka, Kuznetsov, with participation of Korolev and partially Chelomei.

Nobody was bored.

That was a real competition, unlike the NASA totalitarism.

Edited by kerbiloid

If the outer space treaty said that space isn't really owned by everyone, if colonies are built close to each other, let's say colony A and B are built in such a close proximity, does colony A still have sovereignity claim to what's inside their colony? That is, inside their pressurized structure area, not the soil outside where inhabitants from both are free to place anything outside with no such things as territorial border

2 hours ago, ARS said:

If the outer space treaty said that space isn't really owned by everyone, if colonies are built close to each other, let's say colony A and B are built in such a close proximity, does colony A still have sovereignity claim to what's inside their colony? That is, inside their pressurized structure area, not the soil outside where inhabitants from both are free to place anything outside with no such things as territorial border

Yes.

(Disney has its own police force)

Think of the outpost like a corporate building - they can control what goes on inside the building, to the exclusion of all others. 

Sovereignty is really about the ability to project power or resist intrusion by others.  So theoretically, if Lichtenstein had an outpost and decided to forceably enter the neighboring Maldives outpost, legally, Lichtenstein would be in violation and Maldives could defend itself.  This would be true if one outpost was Lunar Mining LLC and the other was PiratesRUs, Inc. 

Now - let's say that Lichtenstein has an outpost next to the Grand Canadian Imperial Colony - and the GCIC decided to annex Lichtenstein... Who's gonna stop them?  (Law or no law?) 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

The situation is just undefined.

The treaty was developed when both parties got ensured that any extraterrestrial outpost won't become real in observable future, so it just freezes the situation and postpones the practical solution.

P.S.
My personal guess, they will just apply the terrestrial maritime laws on the lunar seas, and establish 12 miles or so.

3 hours ago, ARS said:

Remember, the OST bans claims of ownership. You aren't allowed to go up there, plant a flag, and now say that this is now the territory of your country. But your colony is still governed by the laws of somewhere, it is still owned by a nation. Much as a ship at sea does not own the international waters it sails over, but the ship itself and the people onboard fall under the jurisdiction of the laws of the nation the ship is flagged under.

And, as I have said before, I would not be shocked at all to see the nations involved start to negotiate "traffic control zones" (or however else they want to refer to them); areas around their colonies that look an awful lot like claims of ownership and sovereignty but on paper are not. Lawyers and diplomats are really good at making up things that are one thing but are called another. It's practically their job description.

45 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

(Disney has its own police force)

Common misconception. They actually do not. They have their own (rather extensive) security department which handles most issues and altercations on the park grounds, and is authorized to detain people on the grounds and eject them from the park if necessary. But they are not sworn law enforcement. What Disney has is a standing force of Anaheim PD backstage at all times while the park is open (IIRC, it's actually a sub-station). They do not come onstage unless things really go pear-shaped. But if Disney security brings someone backstage who has done something criminal Anaheim PD are the ones who take custody and make the arrest. I'm not sure if that is how things are done in Florida, no experience there. But that's how it works at Disneyland.

(Source: SMH stories from multiple relatives who have worked at Disneyland over the decades.)

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

You aren't allowed to go up there, plant a flag, and now say that this is now the territory of your country. But your colony is still governed by the laws of somewhere, it is still owned by a nation. Much as a ship at sea does not own the international waters it sails over, but the ship itself and the people onboard fall under the jurisdiction of the laws of the nation the ship is flagged under.

More so, this is internationally legislated, and the colony likely still fits within the definition of a spacecraft - so the original flag planters likely bear full the authority over and responsibility for whatever happens to a colony down the line.

32 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

This is bad.  Very bad.  Now the Russians know that the next time they're being chased... All they have to do is pitch lunch out the aft tube and the American will get all gummed up! 

So, a naval equivalent of a racing game oil slick?

Imagine what the Blue Shell would be.

8 hours ago, DDE said:

Does the deep scattering layer meaningfully affect passive sonar?

And are the fish that make up the layer a hazard for reactor cooling scoops?

Hide contents

Like this

Well, I can't speak for the surface fleet, but on subs I remember that the seawater intakes had strainer grates that were designed so that the holes in the grate were (slightly) smaller in diameter than the condenser tubes. So anything that got sucked into the seawater system was small enough to pass completely through it. We had to open up the seawater side of the condensers and heat exchangers every year to replace the zinc anodes, and I never saw anything living in there.

I can remember operating up in the North Sea during winter, when the seawater injection temperature was below freezing and we had ice on the inside of the condenser sight glasses.

I can also remember operating in the Caribbean in the middle of summer. Seawater injection temperature was high out of specification on my logs, and whenever we had a log reading out of specification we were required to call Maneuvering and report the OOS reading and our corrective action. I called Maneuvering and said, "I'm logging seawater injection temperature high out of specification. Not sure what I'm supposed to do about that. I guess I can call God and ask him to turn off the space heater."

On 2/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

So theoretically, if Lichtenstein had an outpost and decided to forceably enter the neighboring Maldives outpost, legally, Lichtenstein would be in violation and Maldives could defend itself.

But that’s not what would actually happen.  It’d probably be a repeat of last time Lichtenstein went to war where they sent 85 troops and came back with 86.    They’d invade Maldives outpost and make more friends.