For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Is 'boiled meat' still a thing over there?

Don’t you start. Don’t let me beg you

One time I was on a video call with my elders at home and they said: Have you learnt any delicious British food in England?

Me: :mellow:?

Edited by steve9728

Never been to UK, so can't say from first hand experience, but from what I've seen, I don't crave any English food.

Then again, my mom was on a business trip to London once and brought back some delicious shortbread cookies. In retrospect, the packaging had a suspiciously tartany graphics.

9 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Is 'boiled meat' still a thing over there?

Dunno about UK, but let me share a traditional recipe for boiled duck.

1. Put the duck in a kettle and fill with water. Boil for 1 hour. Throw away the water.

2. Fill kettle of duck with milk. Boil for 1 hour. Throw away the milk.

3. Fill kettle of duck with  vodka. Boil for 1 hour. Throw away the duck.

4. Ready!

It's not really that bad actually. The British cooking is only very disappointing when it comes to everything that needs to be heated up except for snacks and tea. The only thing I want to say is could they please to learn how to use spices, it's not illegal and won't get you many years in prison.

Spoiler

I have always been puzzled by the Western way of eating leafy greens raw instead of stir-fried.

Of course, everyone has a different opinion on taste. For example, when I brought my ex a box of British biscuits when I returned home for the Christmas holidays one time, she asked me is that sugar free in the UK?

Edited by steve9728

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Like everywhere?

That's pure luxury say my British friends. 

I mean the life of the office nouveau riche privileged world, not the low class existence.

P.S.
A funny fact.
The developed countries ancest menu of the neolithic-up-to-bronze (American) Indians: potato, tomato, corn, etc.

P.P.S.
The future archaeologists will be finding the fossilized this, and telling that this is a part of ritual ornament.
They will call the modern humans "Culture of Waved Spiral Bread"

Spoiler

Mama_instant_noodle_block.jpg

5 hours ago, monophonic said:

3. Fill kettle of duck with  vodka. Boil for 1 hour.

No! The spirit will flow away. It's a cold dish.

Edited by kerbiloid

6 hours ago, monophonic said:

Dunno about UK, but let me share a traditional recipe for boiled duck.

1. Put the duck in a kettle and fill with water. Boil for 1 hour. Throw away the water.

2. Fill kettle of duck with milk. Boil for 1 hour. Throw away the milk.

3. Fill kettle of duck with  vodka. Boil for 1 hour. Throw away the duck.

4. Ready!

Plan has one problem, boiling point of alcohol is 78 degree, so it will boil off before the water. This is how distillation work and how you make vodka. 
But here you just create an fire hazard :) 

Not really a question, but more of an "I'll just leave this here". This credibly looks like the remains of an Orlan-10

This roundel was used for French aircraft supplied to the Russian Empire. I haven't seen a single other case of this roundel being used. Some of the heavier drones like Orion get the same Serdyukov-era three-colored star as crewed aircraft, but all the imagery of Orlans has them in blank grey with no ID marks.

Would be interesting to see if any more of these show up.

Edit: it's a ZALA 421-16em, not an Orlan:

Z%D0%90L%D0%90_421-16%D0%95_ISSE-2012_01

It seems the versions used on the battlefield have the roundel offset onto one of the wings.

Edit 2: Ctrl+F'ed through OSINTers, found another shootdown, plus one video from operators.

Edited by DDE

6 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Today's "don't try this at home" (1/1)

This, its an variation of alcohol destroyed our home, the moonshine still exploded. In  most cases this is an cooling failure filling the air with fumes. 

7 hours ago, DDE said:

This roundel was used for French aircraft supplied to the Russian Empire. I haven't seen a single other case of this roundel being used

Probably the painter confused the color order.
Or white was looking indistinct on metal, so reverted intentionally without thoughts about France.

https://forma-odezhda.com/encyclopedia/kokardy-russkoj-armii/

P.S.
And look: even then the roundel was depicting a fusion device of alarm clock scheme and two-point implosion design.

P.P.S.

7 hours ago, DDE said:

Ctrl+F'ed through OSINTers, found another shootdown, plus one video from operators.

You probably forgot the video about its fuel tank bottle.

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:
12 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Today's "don't try this at home" (1/1)

This, its an variation of alcohol destroyed our home, the moonshine still exploded. In  most cases this is an cooling failure filling the air with fumes. 

Where to try this, if not at home.

Edited by kerbiloid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregat

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Aggregat_(rocket_family)

Do I get it right, that A-1 and A-2 didn't have a parachute and were fully expendable, even having the (expensive) gyroscopic SAS ?

Upd.
Yes, they were lithobraking...
http://weebau.com/rocket/a2.htm

One unusual observation made on both flights was what happened at apogee, when velocity had fallen to zero. At that point they had both kinked over by ninety degrees and it was assumed that the wind had been the cause, but it was the effect of the gyroscope slowing and turning the whole rocket over. They then tumbled out of the sky, and the first impacted on the beach at a ground range of 800m, where it was recovered, after its 45 seconds flight.

...but strong.

Upd2.

Look, the late design of A4b has Wasserfall-shape fins with rear ears.

Spoiler

Hermes_A-1_Test_Rockets_-_GPN-2000-00006a9a10com.gif

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The Martian ground 
They say, it's full of perchlorates.

What if drop a match?

Need fuel. Make sure the perchlorate-rich regolith is finely powdered, then mix it with iron filings or powdered (absent oxygen) aluminum. Then drop a match and watch out!  Except the match won’t burn past the matchhead’s initial flare without an oxygen atmosphere…

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The match. It's wooden.

Face, meet palm. Palm, face. 

Well, as long as the match was still burning when it hit the perch, I guess it would continue to burn if it could liberate enough oxygen. I don’t know enough about it to know how easily oxygen is liberated from perchlorate, but without any other fuel, you’d end up with a burnt match and a puff of chlorine and not kick else. 

So, imagine this scene in an actin movie: You're thrown away, whether by explosion, punch or from being kicked off a helicopter taking off and you landed on the classic "glass roof" on top of the building. The glass is cracked (but didn't break) when you impact it, and now you have to get out of the glass area. Realistically speaking, if the glass is already cracked, which position should be used to get away from it (while minimizing the disturbance that could break the glass):

-lay down and slowly crawl away to safety

-get on all fours and slowly get away

-try to stand on your legs and carefully take each step to get away

23 minutes ago, ARS said:

So, imagine this scene in an actin movie: You're thrown away, whether by explosion, punch or from being kicked off a helicopter taking off and you landed on the classic "glass roof" on top of the building. The glass is cracked (but didn't break) when you impact it, and now you have to get out of the glass area. Realistically speaking, if the glass is already cracked, which position should be used to get away from it (while minimizing the disturbance that could break the glass):

You would probably cause more disturbance with all appendages on the surface or whatever the first one is compared to standing up on both feet. I think weight distribution wouldn't matter too much if the glass is already cracked and vulnerable to disturbance from movement anyways, but that is just a guess.

3 hours ago, ARS said:

May I introducing to you a DPRK Superman:

Jumping down from 3 floors tall wall. And then the police hunted him for 41 days in the forests of northeast China in October and November, despite intensive police investigations and big data technology. Finally, when he was too hungry to fish at the lake, he was noticed by other anglers and reported to the police before he was caught. Put everything aside, he really is some kind superman I give he that.

I'd imagine that if the glass survived the much higher forces of the initial impact, the relatively static load would not be a problem.

That being said, I'd still probably employ the thin ice traversing strategy of trying to apread out as much as possible.