For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

If you look at the pork chop plot you can pick your departure date on the horizontal axis, and the arrival date on the vertical and it will tell you how much Delta v you need, so if you have the Delta v and you pick an arrival date before the first crafts arrival date the later craft will overtake

On 7/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, kerbiloid said:

If it can, the space pirates can grapple and board!

Except if the other ship does an burn to change its trajectory. Or do an burn in your direction then you are 100 meters away. 
No the Kzin lesson is not true outside of stuff like this or as an close in weapon against missiles with an very powerful engine but even  with multi megaton pulse nuclear or similar powerful NSVR or fusion engine you would be in range of conversational artillery long before the engine was an significant danger to the attacker, you would better try to dodge the shells than have them hit your engine. 

14 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

Is there any word for when a person tells you to do something in a nasty way, and you want to disobey just because the person said it so nastily?

If its an superior, probably if you complain to higher up and it was not urgent. If your shift leader call you out nastily and told to bring him an fire extinguishing and call the fire department you do as told and complain later. If it was doing unplanned overtime because of low on staff but no serious urgency, again complain up and have an excuse. 

Is there a radius relationship between planets or moons in a 3:2 resonance around the primary? 

(I.e. If I want to put a pair of moons in a stable 3:2 resonance in Universe Sandbox, can i place the first one and then use some multiple of the distance from the planet to use as the radial distance for the second moon? 

Or is it a whole lot more complicated than that?} 

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

T = 2*pi *r3/2 / sqrt(GM)

M = mass of the central body
r = orbit radius (semiaxis)

T - revolution period

T ~ r3/2

Hate to ask: can you break this down a bit more Barney style?  

I need more words to know what I'm looking at, pazhalsta

@JoeSchmuckatelli These were some of my favorite videos! Like an Irish version of Bob Ross, with "happy little planets" instead of "happy little trees". 

There's a lot more on his channel worth watching; both the new and old stuff is good. Enjoy!

The second vid should have more resonance stuff.

25 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

@JoeSchmuckatelli These were some of my favorite videos! Like an Irish version of Bob Ross, with "happy little planets" instead of "happy little trees". 

There's a lot more on his channel worth watching; both the new and old stuff is good. Enjoy!

The second vid should have more resonance stuff.

Dude!

Totally awesome, and on point.  Esp. the part about 'two major moons never come withing 10 planetary radii of each other'.  (Never heard of that; but it's something I've wondered about).

Love lines like, 'Intense bout of number vomit'!

Okay, question time:  Why does the planetary Hill Sphere have 'a' as a parameter?  (Semi-major axis of the planet in AU)?  Is this because the star's mass diminishes the efficacy of the planet's mass to hold onto a moon the closer it is to the star?

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

break this down

Resonance n:k is an orbital periods ratio.

The orbital period is proportional to the orbit semiaxis 1.5.

T ~ r3/2.

So, if T2:T1 = n:k, then r2:r1 = (n:k)2/3.

Resonance T2:T1 = 3:2 → r2:r1 = (3:2)2/3 ~= 1.31.

57 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Why does the planetary Hill Sphere have 'a' as a parameter?  (Semi-major axis of the planet orbit in AU)?

Because the Hill Sphere, the Sphere of Influence, etc. are describing which one of two heavy bodies on the bed is pulling the blanket more strongly at that distance.

So, the farther is the heavier body (the star), the more room is owned by the lesser body (the planet) to keep its moons there.

14 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Because the Hill Sphere, the Sphere of Influence, etc. are describing which one of two heavy bodies on the bed is pulling the blanket more strongly at that distance.

So, the farther is the heavier body (the star), the more room is owned by the lesser body (the planet) to keep its moons there.

Got it.

16 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Resonance n:k is an orbital periods ratio.

The orbital period is proportional to the orbit semiaxis 1.5.

T ~ r3/2.

So, if T2:T1 = n:k, then r2:r1 = (n:k)2/3.

Resonance T2:T1 = 3:2 → r2:r1 = (3:2)2/3 ~= 1.31.

Don't got it.

... but thanks!

why are backlit keyboards so useless. except for perhaps night use, keyboards with fully addressable leds are being grossly underutilized. it seems there is a lot you can do with application context. like color coding keys to onscreen functions and illuminating shortcuts when the appropriate modifiers are pressed. seems like its a grossly underutilized capability. 

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

why are backlit keyboards so useless. except for perhaps night use, keyboards with fully addressable leds are being grossly underutilized. it seems there is a lot you can do with application context. like color coding keys to onscreen functions and illuminating shortcuts when the appropriate modifiers are pressed. seems like its a grossly underutilized capability. 

I have a very fancy laptop that has that capability... and I just can't be bothered to use that.

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

Because the people most likely to use that functionality have the least money to spend on keyboards.  Matter of scale, too, most likely.  Selling 500 keyboards with cool features world wide is a lot less profitable than selling a basic keyboard in lots of 500 to 100 different countries.

21 hours ago, Nuke said:

its almost always a vanity feature with no way to use for practical applications. 

Can see plenty of use for it but it need to be standardized, had been nice if keys changed depend of application or game more so if you pressed ctrl. 

It entered this world in its time, but the greedy humans rejected it.

"How much???" asked they, trying to believe their ears.
"Too expensive!!!" exlaimed they after the first shock.

Spoiler

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It entered this world in its time, but the greedy humans rejected it.

"How much???" asked they, trying to believe their ears.
"Too expensive!!!" exlaimed they after the first shock.

But if it’s produced on an automated production line for long enough, the price per unit will drop like a rock….

The trick is finding enough suckers at $1600 per to pay for the production line…

Intuitively, yes, they do look a bit small.

They say "65+" passengers. I count 33 windows, so two seats per row? I've been inside Concorde, and that thing is tiny and cramped inside. This can't be much larger, can it?

Net zero carbon? What, the food cart tray?

14 hours ago, TKMK said:

Is having no excuse an excuse? Logically? 

Did you actually have no excuse?

If you did not actually have any excuse it isn’t an excuse from a physical point of view. The thing just happened.

But humans have this thing called duty in their behavior so even if you had absolutely no way of doing whatever thing (and thus no excuse for whatever happened) you are expected to bear responsibility, and therefore having no excuse is an excuse.

Because it is your fault regardless of the physical situation.