For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

On 8/7/2022 at 6:39 AM, Silavite said:

Is it just me, or does the vertical stabilizer on Boom's redesign look really undersized?

Hide contents

overture-reveal-fuselage.jpg

I'm wondering how lateral stability (particularly CN) is achieved...

It looks a bit small but I think we are so used to huge tail surfaces on planes. They exist for one reason, on an dual engine plane it has to be large enough to stabilize the plane on an engine out during takeoff there speed and therefor control is less. 
This plane has 4 engines making that problem less

With our current space technology, how hard it is to create a compact skintight personal spacesuit (like on sci-fi) that isn't as bulky as the current one? Obviously it wasn't meant for prolonged EVA activity and offer far less feature than a full-on EVA suit, but enough for keeping the wearer alive in a vaccuum environment or when you just wanna casually stroll outside the  planet-based colony with reasonable temperature and atmospheric pressure (like for example, on Mars)

3 hours ago, ARS said:

With our current space technology, how hard it is to create a compact skintight personal spacesuit (like on sci-fi) that isn't as bulky as the current one? Obviously it wasn't meant for prolonged EVA activity and offer far less feature than a full-on EVA suit, but enough for keeping the wearer alive in a vaccuum environment or when you just wanna casually stroll outside the  planet-based colony with reasonable temperature and atmospheric pressure (like for example, on Mars)

Take a look at the pressure suits worn during takeoff and landing, especially the tesla suits.

If the helmet and gloves are sealed, then those suits should sustain a human in an airless environment so long as the life support resources hold-out.

They are not designed for the wearers to be particularly useful, as the joints would be very stiff without external pressure, but they are intended to sustain life in the case of cabin pressure loss.  With properly placed emergency controls, they could probably do things like initiate emergency re-entry should ground-control not be able to do so.

6 hours ago, ARS said:

I think what you are looking for is a mechanical counterpressure suit. The idea being that instead of enclosing the entire body in a pressurized suit you enclose the wearer's head in a pressurized helmet and then enclose the rest of their body in a tight elastic garment that keeps the rest of the body functioning and comfortable. The concept is sound, and they are under development. But, no, they are not currently deployed.

6 hours ago, Shpaget said:

The fact that it doesn't exist, along side the cost of current suits, should tell you that it's not possible with current tech.

I think this is a poor metric for what is possible and what isn’t, because there are other factors that play into what gets made and what doesn’t.

12 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I think this is a poor metric for what is possible and what isn’t, because there are other factors that play into what gets made and what doesn’t.

I agree - also I think there is the issue of 'preciousness'. 

The opportunity cost of getting a single person to space, and the cost of each minute they are there mitigates in favor of the overengineered. 

Once we are there in numbers and familiarity breeds contempt, comfort will be the way. 

3 hours ago, DDE said:

Is there any benefit to canting the vertical stabilizers inwards underwater?

IMG_2156.jpg

(No Covert Shores post yet, have to look elsewhere)

I know on aircraft they cant the vertical surfaces to help reduce radar cross-section. I wonder if this helps reduce the reflection of active sonar? Or maybe the designer just thought it looked cool.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I agree - also I think there is the issue of 'preciousness'. 

The opportunity cost of getting a single person to space, and the cost of each minute they are there mitigates in favor of the overengineered. 

Once we are there in numbers and familiarity breeds contempt, comfort will be the way. 

There are probably plenty of other organizational behavior factors as well.

"We do it this way because we've always done it this way."

"That method will never work because I didn't think of it."

"This is the best engineering process to use because this is the process our company is most experienced in."

Etc.

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I know on aircraft they cant the vertical surfaces to help reduce radar cross-section. I wonder if this helps reduce the reflection of active sonar?

Certainly this. Note how the bottom of the fins aligns with the chine alongside the hull. This chined cross section is similar to the Type 212CD, where it is intended to direct active sonar echoes away from the emitter. See this article for a picture and details: https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/09/radical-new-stealth-submarine-type-212cd-will-be-much-larger/

Where is our Voyager thread?

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2022/08/19/nasa-voyager-anniversary-space-golden-record/3361660872230/

And so, a plot idea: can either of the Voyagers passively detect a suitably massive, physics-comploant alien spacecraft travelling through the same general region of space?

Edited by DDE

2 hours ago, DDE said:

And so, a plot idea: can either of the Voyagers passively detect a suitably massive, physics-comploant alien spacecraft travelling through the same general region of space?

?

It's ramming one of them right now. Since May.

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-voyager-1-is-sending-back-strange-data-from-beyond-our-solar-system-puzzling-scientists

15 hours ago, tater said:

Anyone heard of these guys before?

https://www.astraius.com/

Nope. Never heard. First impression is they are trying to commercialize the 70s' USAF Minuteman Air Mobility Feasibility test. They talk about established technology and the rocket looks a bit like a Minuteman, especially in the lower stages. Commercially used as a launch vehicle under names Taurus and Minotaur-C. In fact the shape is very reminiscent of the M-C, although at 27,9m that needs just a bit of work to fit in a C-17's 27m hold.

All in all I fail to see much innovation there. Despite what they say on their pretty average corporation style web page. Let's see some hardware before getting enthusiastic.

2 hours ago, monophonic said:

All in all I fail to see much innovation there. Despite what they say on their pretty average corporation style web page. Let's see some hardware before getting enthusiastic.

So they're only as misleadingly innovative as the average Chinese start-up that always turns up with an ICBM-like solid-fuel "demonstrator".