For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

7 minutes ago, ARS said:

What's the single heaviest payload ever brought to orbit? And what's the single heaviest possible payload that we can launch today?

Single heaviest?

If you count the Shuttle Orbiter as payload (and it kind of is...) then the Shuttle Orbiter.

Beyond that, probably Skylab.

Unless we count propellant, in which case the Saturn V’s S-IVb with Apollo Command and Service Module plus lander.

Today? Probably Proton’s max capacity, I think.

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Single heaviest

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Saturn IVB + Apollo ~150 t

What about non-crewed, non-propellant payload? Like satellites, probes or space station parts?

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Saturn IVB + Apollo ~150 t.

Afaik, Falcon Heavy can lift moar than Proton. (twice?)

Most of Falcon Heavy’s up-mass propellant, not payload.

It’s currently unproven how much payload it can launch into LEO, depending on limitations of the payload mount, it can be less than Proton.

22 minutes ago, ARS said:

How much Delta-V needed to change the orbit of Phobos into suborbital trajectory (or at least aerobraking altitude) on Mars?

According to

, less than 1 km/s.

700 m/s - to LMO
? (for Earth - 100..150 m/s) to touch the air.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 4/19/2019 at 4:15 AM, Bill Phil said:

Most of Falcon Heavy’s up-mass propellant, not payload.

It’s currently unproven how much payload it can launch into LEO, depending on limitations of the payload mount, it can be less than Proton.

Fairing size is more of an practical issue, you can easy make custom payload mounts and many payloads use that. 
Yes its an structural limit on the mass the upper stage can handle but you could reduce the maximum g force by shutting down some core stage engines before burn out. 

8 hours ago, ARS said:

How much Delta-V needed to change the orbit of Phobos into suborbital trajectory (or at least aerobraking altitude) on Mars?

The questions you routinely ask make me wonder if you need to be placed on a super villain watch list or something. 

I would think (as shown above) the dv calculations would be fairly trivial.   What is not trivial is figuring out a way to expend enough energy to move that mass that much. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I would think (as shown above) the dv calculations would be fairly trivial.   What is not trivial is figuring out a way to expend enough energy to move that mass that much. 

In-situ mining of ice in tubes, electrolyzed into propellants, using the tubes/boreholes as thrust chambers. Possibly also using a laser-pumped fusion drive. 

At least, that’s how they did it in one trilogy novel

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

The questions you routinely ask make me wonder if you need to be placed on a super villain watch list or something.

Nah, nothing serious here. Just a pair of AIs that grows beyond their programming :wink:

Though to be honest what was crossing in your mind when the last 3 questions that I ask is about unauthorized space launch, heaviest possible payload to orbit and deorbiting Phobos?

Edited by ARS

Random noob questions:

1. Do two photons with perfectly equal properties (eV, phase, wavelength etc,) annihilate each other when they meet "Head on" perfectly perpendicular in a vacuum? Or do they propagate further without any interaction? 

2. Since photons are estimated without restmass and live around three years in their own referenceframe (or 1018  years for us simple observers), what causes their final (assumed) decay? To what do they decay? Neutrinos (With tiny mass and fast as hell?) ???

Has there been any public information about the ultimate cost allocation for the failed* Zuma spy satellite?  I.e., whether Northrop and/or their insurers have to return some of the funds or make another one at their cost?   All I could find was some early coverage predicting the U.S. government would just eat the cost, which seems troubling.  

*Queue the conspiracy theories that it's working fine, and Northrop agreed to take a bunch of verbal abuse in exchange for all that money.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:43 AM, Gargamel said:

Just pick the top thirty or so posters for this subforum.

Also, ran out of likes for the first time ever.

This would probably fall victim to the rocket equation and/or simple TWR budget, but, how much would a space-rated fission reactor have to mass to power a laser-initiated, inertial confinement pulsed-fusion rocket engine? I suppose the mass would be less of an issue if it was not used for the initial launch, just for in-space use.

1 hour ago, Brownie352 said:

Are there any current Concepts or in development spacecraft to land people to mars and return them to earth?

Yes. We have a number of threads on the various launch agencies out there who are already working on the problem.  I'd take a gander at some of those, as they would be more fitting for this type of discussion, rather than 'simple' question and answer format this thread tends to follow.