The first object manufactured in space.

Aethon

TBH I think the best use of a 3D printer on a space station is to allow them to print out mounting brackets for holding non-critical things in places that other non-critical things were designed to go. As well as similar light duty non-critical "mostly structural" tasks. As few moving parts as possible, but if it needs to bend, that can probably be made to work ("live hinge" technique).

Basically, being able to turn a smartphone bracket mount into a tablet bracket mount just by 3D printing the appropriate adapter. Not like a tablet or smartphone coming loose inside the station is going to kill anyone.

Even if it did happen, chances are it would be found against the grate over the intake for the life support system's CO2 scrubber/dehumidifier. That's where pretty much all things end up if left free floating in a space station. That works even if it happens to be a person who fell asleep without tethering themselves (IIRC, that has actually happened).

yes, this is nice for all sort of experiment setup. More important on ISS as you can not just shape a piece of wood to use as a wedge to keep something from moving.

The main point of having a 3D printer in space is stock.

How many different parts are there on ISS? probably hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions. It is simply not feasible to have a spare for each. But if you can make plastic thingies in space, you can replace your stock of not terribly important plastic thingies by a kg of ABS and a printer.

in a first time, they'll probably use on really mundane things, like hinges or doors of panels inside the station. Because a box that doesn't close properly is annoying, but not life threatening.

• 3 weeks later...
In a first time, they'll probably use on really mundane things, like hinges or doors of panels inside the station. Because a box that doesn't close properly is annoying, but not life threatening.

Or a socket wrench? There was a story in the news this morning about how a 3D model of a socket wrench was recently emailed up to the ISS where they "printed" it. I am not sure how useful the result would be for wrenching anything, but it is an interesting story.

Or a socket wrench? There was a story in the news this morning about how a 3D model of a socket wrench was recently emailed up to the ISS where they "printed" it. I am not sure how useful the result would be for wrenching anything, but it is an interesting story.

I think they actually needed the wrench which is why it was emailed up there. That is the version I heard. Hopefully Made In Space can improve their tools after studying the tools brought back from the ISS. I wonder how long they will be up there for...

Not really, except you can manufacture everykind of object when you need it.

Actually they just tried if it's possible in space. There is the idea to build a Moon base with 3D printers out of Moon regolith. Sounds like a good idea to me.

And partly this guy did it :

I don't think you can call urine an object, or say it's been manufactured.

But there have been instances of astronauts building stuff out of other stuff, like commander Chris Hadfield showing space darts. I'm not sure when the first one happened, probably very early.

• 2 weeks later...
The public only cares if their social networks are online or not.

Not really. Not everyone has an interest in space or the experiments up there. For example, how many of you know about the knew discoveries at Stonehenge or at the Hoyo Negro? Yeah, don't get your hopes up for your field being super popular to the general public!

• 1 month later...

Hmm, what about commercial applications? I mean pure commercial/greed items, ship 20kg of raw material up to the ISS and make trinkets the sell them as made in space. Sell/auction off to rich people take profits and fund space industry. And by trinkets I mean settings for jewelry, vanity items like high end knicknacks for the ultra rich who just have to have it. What would someone like Zuckerburg pay for cellphone case made in space?

Regards.

We've been manufacturing objects in space for tens of thousands of years.

Earth moves around "in space," hence, by extension, anything manufactured on the surface of the earth has been manufactured in space.

Now, manufacturing in orbit is a different story.

I am glad NASA is pushing participation and 3D printing in general. Nothing shows kids the value and excitement of a career in engineering or technology like designing and creating something on the spot.

Now, manufacturing in orbit is a different story.

Earth is not in orbit any more? Oh my, I need to call my insurance company.

Edited by Camacha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.