The Official HypeTrain 0.90 Voyage Thread (Experimentals! Choo Choo Dangit!)

Whirligig Girl

Only problem is I can't decide which of the new features I'm more excited to try out first! Flying the new Mk3 parts, blowing up the new buildings, trying the new contracts, training new pilots, exploring new biomes...? It all looks so cool.

Why not...

*Deep breath*

Fly a Mk3 training SSTO that delivers a satellite for a new contract, before returning home and exploding the new buildings?

Why not...

*Deep breath*

Fly a Mk3 training SSTO that delivers a satellite for a new contract, before returning home and exploding the new buildings?

Sounds like a plan! :D

Although I suspect that by the time Mk3 is unlocked the buildings will be fully upgraded. So testing out all the new stuff at once might need to be split into at least two missions...

Am I the only one who's worried that .90 is going to mess up the builder? I mean, is the VAB/SPH assembly going to radically change? I'm afraid i'm going to have to relearn building, or even worse, I don't understand it. And please, let there be part clipping. it is my life blood.

Looks very ..... Hopefully 64-bit KSP is going to see some love and attention on Windows for stability (and hopefully with the goal to kill off the 32-bit version).

Gameplay things that I'd like to see:

- The option for a random start time with an upper limit. So if you give an upper limit of +3y, you will start somewhere between day zero and 3 years from the base start.

- Randomized comets with orbital periods of anything from 3y to 300+ years, along with contracts to go do science near one.

- Biomes that slowly refill their science pool. Maybe the Kerbin Grasslands biome doesn't, but some of the more "active" and "dynamic" biomes on places like Eve or something equivalent to real-life Io might need to be visited multiple times in order to fully tap the value. You can't just get 99.9% of the science by batch firing four sets of experiments. Instead you might have to wait a minimum amount of time for it to recover after the first experiment before doing the second. And after being tapped out, maybe it recharges after 3-6 months (or 3-6 years).

- Part cost rebalance, especially early on in the game.

- Part differentiation. For example the 2x3 solar panel design should be sturdier then the 1x6 design. The one with the cover should be better in atmosphere then the one without the cover.

- Funding drive. Offer a way to trade in excess reputation or science points for funding, without having to complete one of the existing types of contracts. Right now it's possible to run out of funds early on if you have a few launch failures, with no way really to gain more funds. Being able to trade science points for funds might also give a reason to keep doing science missions in order to fund other personal side projects like putting up an orbital space station.

- Add a few more ship categories and icons (i.e. Debris, Probes, Rovers, etc.) to the Space Tracking Station / Map Mode. Suggestions would be: "Satellites" (i.e. geo-sync sats), "Depot" or "Fueling", "Construction Parts" (i.e. ships that you are working on assembling), "Mothership" (a bigger then normal ship), "Colony" (a big base).

- Sub-folders in the Load menu for loading in ship/plane designs.

- Give a way to associate a particular ship with the contracts that you are trying to fulfill with that ship. So if you have a dozen active contracts, you should only see orbits / icons that are associated with the ship that you are currently controlling. After tossing up (10) sats in low-Kerbin orbit the map around Kerbin starts to get really crowded and it gets difficult to figure out how to incline an orbit on a maneuver in order to hit the target orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/TeXYGLT.jpg

Definitely fit to carry the 9001 coaches required for this train! Indeed! Buy your tickets now! The HypeTrain has departed from the first station! Kerbal Space Program: Beta Than Ever is now in Experimentals!

That is very beautiful and well restored locomotive. Sorry, but I take my camera and go to photograph on trackside. It is real problem for me, when there is museum train drives on nearby tracks. I want to travel with them and support preservation and activity of old locomotives, but on the other hand I want to take photos when locomotives pull trains in nice scenery.

- Funding drive. Offer a way to trade in excess reputation or science points for funding, without having to complete one of the existing types of contracts. Right now it's possible to run out of funds early on if you have a few launch failures, with no way really to gain more funds. Being able to trade science points for funds might also give a reason to keep doing science missions in order to fund other personal side projects like putting up an orbital space station.

Are you still playing .24? :P This is already implemented: look into the new Administration building and choose a suitable strategy that will let you convert one kind of currency into another. Admittedly, the strategies themselves do require adjustments in their effecitveness, but that's what beta is for.

Also do note that "it's possible to run out of funds with no way to gain more" is working as intended. If you failed, then it's time to start a new save and employ the lessons you have learned to avoid the failures of the past. That's how you get better over time! Also, if it turns out that you're really struggling to earn as much money as you wish to spend, even with using strategies, then maybe starting a new save is a good opportunity to adjust the game difficulty a bit. (Though if you're still playing .24 you probably haven't seen the new difficulty panel yet. It has both premade and custom settings for funds income and other things!)

Now, back to 0.90:

I read in the OP that EVA'ing Kerbals will be a thing you need to research first. Now, I've read a whole lot of stuff about 0.90, but that particular part I have not yet seen mentioned anywhere before. Could someone point me to the source of that, please?

Dear Squad - now that we have the 2nd batch of porkjet's mk3 parts to be added please please please can we have a plane icon added? my ssto's need some love and looking like lander or craft icons aren't cutting it for them - they feel cheated out of the respect they deserve.

Am I the only one who's worried that .90 is going to mess up the builder? I mean, is the VAB/SPH assembly going to radically change? I'm afraid i'm going to have to relearn building, or even worse, I don't understand it. And please, let there be part clipping. it is my life blood.

Part clipping is now default (the announcement was worded a bit weird I admit, so I understand your confusion). The Alt-F12 cheat does still exist but it only toggles the ability to put the same part in the same place multiple times.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about the builder changes. They're designed to make complex building easier and from what I can tell they're succeeding. You'll be building crazy stuff in no time and they'll be crazier than ever before.

I haven't been on the forums for a while... So much has changed.

Actually, not that much has changed...

Anyway, I guess it's time for me to crank up my HypeTrain playlist again... This time, even Beta Den Eva'... I need suggestions for songs, though. :P

Actually, I'll be making my own playlist this time. :)