The Official HypeTrain 0.90 Voyage Thread (Experimentals! Choo Choo Dangit!)

Whirligig Girl

What about this Feature? I haven't seen this in any video or in a stream and nobody knows what i mean so i posted this picture.

is it in the final release or not? because i would like to see it in the beta

LzIoTMY.jpg

I just watched the 0.90 vids and finally I am more than ready to board the Hypetrain!

Oh, and cubic octagonal stuts, good bye, you will (not) be missed, at least not as a workaround to attach parts to others where they weren't supposed to go previously :)

i LOVE the editor gizmos, really really good stuff.

I believe cuboct struts will still be needed to provide attachment points. Except maybe for people using Editor Extensions.

I need to try this update out for myself before i decide removing these somewhat out dated parts.

For the most part their functionality is useless. Their use as a very small building part is useful, but its somewhat overshadowed by their ability to summon the kraken. I The devs could always just super nerf them, to prevent the kraken physics from appearing, and keeping them more as a limited tiny build part, than a utility part.

Have you seen in that longer preview vid where TheWinterOwl takes the mainsail of his shuttle replica and moves it back & forth using the gizmos? In 0.25 you would need to take and move the octostrut where the engine was attached, so I'm fairly sure that attachment rules were refined as well. We'll find out soon enough! Chooochooo

edit: here's the link, at ~9:40.

Edited by LordFjord

I am hyped. Basically just stalled my fresh campaign waiting for .90. Everything looks and sounds awesome.

One thing. I am trying to remember if I am crazy, or if this was an early rumor like a month or two ago that .26/.90 was going to also feature updates to aerodynamics and the introduction of resources (in a simple way) to change the way deep space refueling was done? Was that just a guess, or legit discussions when the hype train was being built?

Have you seen in that longer preview vid where TheWinterOwl takes the mainsail of his shuttle replica and moves it back & forth using the gizmos? In 0.25 you would need to take and move the octostrut where the engine was attached, so I'm fairly sure that attachment rules were refined as well. We'll find out soon enough! Chooochooo

edit: here's the link, at ~9:40.

Those gizmos look fantastic, and they're going to help cut down on parts and make things stronger. No more needing to use structural cubes to mount things at funny angles or partially embedded, yay!

I wonder if this will change how folk regard part-clipping?

Those gizmos look fantastic, and they're going to help cut down on parts and make things stronger. No more needing to use structural cubes to mount things at funny angles or partially embedded, yay!

I wonder if this will change how folk regard part-clipping?

moreover, will the rule no part clipping at the challenges be extinct? The possibilities are limitless with the new gizmos (and to think i never part clip when building a ship)

I need to try this update out for myself before i decide removing these somewhat out dated parts.

For the most part their functionality is useless. Their use as a very small building part is useful, but its somewhat overshadowed by their ability to summon the kraken. I The devs could always just super nerf them, to prevent the kraken physics from appearing, and keeping them more as a limited tiny build part, than a utility part.

I think I mostly use them as small building parts, rover wheels extensions, girder structure to put solar panels on for probes.

moreover, will the rule no part clipping at the challenges be extinct? The possibilities are limitless with the new gizmos (and to think i never part clip when building a ship)
The rules will simply be sensible, based on how your ship looks and has its parts placed. None of the old "Oh no you musn't touch the debug menu ever but let's ignore all the clipping you can do without it" nonsense.

The rules will simply be sensible, based on how your ship looks and has its parts placed. None of the old "Oh no you musn't touch the debug menu ever but let's ignore all the clipping you can do without it" nonsense.

I am VERY pleased with that. Clipping was always just a matter of aesthetics (parts inside other parts still have mass and drag), and now we can let the "I did/didn't turn on the cheats to do this" debate die. But I'm sure someone will whine all the same.

Now the only way clipping can be exploited is to reduce the dimensions of your ship. Still, I predict part count and mass to be a bigger limitation... to pretty much everybody but myself, I have an advantage there in that I have always been the wizard of the low part counts.

Rune. Those gizmos look really nice!

Rules on "floating" parts will probably take the place of the old clipping rules. The preview videos show that we'll be able to use translate gizmo to make secure node-to-node connections between parts that are a long distance from each other. Being able to set parts a lot wider than you realistically should could give you an advantage in challenges, with for example side boosters that don't blow up your centre stage, or extremely sturdy, light and stable landing gear.