[1.3 - 1.2.2] Collision FX v4.0 (2017-03-09) Now with biome coloured dust!

pizzaoverhead

Collision FX

Add some drama to your rough landings! Collision FX adds sparks and dust, with sound and lighting effects when you collide or scrape your craft. Landing gear also has a rubbery screech on contacting the ground.

gY8kBDs.png

gCFfns4.png

Click for full album

Downloads

CurseForge | GitHub

Requires Module Manager

Download packages, binaries and libraries licensed All Rights Reserved.
Sounds assets used under licence individually, see Readme for details.
Source included, project also available on GitHub licenced under GPL v2.

If you've enjoyed this, consider donating a cup of coffee to help with late night coding:

btn_donate_LG.gif

Planned features

• Smoke alongside the sparks and with tyre screeching.
  • Multiple sound effects.
  • Different effects for different surfaces.
  • Scraping speed controlled via crossfading different sounds rather than changing tempo.
  • Steam when hot parts contact water.
  • Fragments breaking off when parts are being damaged by reentry heat.
  • Shrapnel when colliding in a vacuum.

Change log

v4.0 (2017-03-09)

• Rebuilt for KSP 1.2.2.
  • Improved collision handling for wheels.
  • Updated biome configuration for new biomes.

v3.3 (2015-11-04)

• Added biome-specific dust effects.
  • Fixed bug with light intensity being much higher than intended.
  • Lowered light intensity and made it cfg adjustable.
  • Added a new sound.

v3.2 (2015-05-14)

• Fixed KF regression in previous release.
  • Landing gear now generate dust effects.

v3.1 (2015-05-13)

• Fixed spark sounds not stopping.

v3.0.2 (2015-05-07)

• Support for Adjustable Landing Gear v1.1.0.
  • Support for Kerbal Foundries v1.8G.
  • Updated to Module Manager 2.6.3.

v3.0.1 (2015-04-30)

• Fixed wheels causing sparks.

v3.0 (2015-04-30)

• Rebuilt for KSP 1.00
  • Fixed EVA kerbals causing sparks.
  • Added collision sound for EVA kerbals.
  • Updated to Module Manager 2.6.2.

v2.2 (2015-01-14)

• Added different effects for different biomes around Kerbin.
  • Now includes module manager.

v2.1 (2014-12-18)

• Rebuilt for KSP 0.90.
  • Modified collision detection.
  • Added Gaalidas' fix for Kerbal Foundries parts.

v2.0 (2014-12-02)

• Fixed wheel, repulsor and track parts from Modular Multiwheels and Kerbal Foundries showing sparks.
  • Improved collision detection.
  • Fixed stuck lights and sounds.

v1.2 (2014-12-02)

• Disabled effects for EVA kerbals and Kerbal Foundries wheels and tracks.

v1.1 (2014-11-29)

• Fixed issues with wheels producing sparks in some cases.
  • Disabled effects for Firespitter wheels as they have their own effects.

v1.0 (2014-11-29)

• Initial release.

Edited by pizzaoverhead
v4.0 release.

That looks awesome. My only suggestion would be to add a little bit of smoke with the sparks. Just a small amount, though.

Good idea, I've added it to the planned features section for the future.

Would this conflict with Firespitter? Cause if I remember correctly, Firespitter also adds the tire screech during landing.

Awesome VFX though!

It won't conflict with it. Worst case scenario, you'll see both effects together or the firespitter wheels will scrape along the ground as if they were made of metal. A simple change to the ModuleManager configuration file can fix these issues.

Ooooooo... very nice! Once the little puffs of smoke here and there, you'll have a nice little plugin that I didn't even know that I needed or wanted! Very nice job, keep you the great work! Boy do I love me some small mods like this that make all the difference!

Edit: I personally don't mind downloading this mod from either of the sites you posted, but it may be good to include a KerbalStuff link along with the others. I know myself and probably a lot others like to support smaller, community run web sites for these types of things. What's sad about that is that the community driven sites tend to work better than their counterparts. Anyway, it's up to you since you're the author. Once again, thanks for the nice mod!

Edited by FiiZzioN

Tried it. The sounds and spark effects work really well, like they add a lot of atmosphere to crashes. I've run into the issue that the wheels are already sparking on my initial takeoff. What this mod really needs to make crashes more spectacular is that parts that are not explosive (fuel tanks and such) won't explode unless they impact at very, very high speeds (at which point the friction forces would create temperatures so high that the non-explosive parts would vaporize). That way if you crash, most parts will just break apart, scatter and create a glorious cloud of sparks while they slide to a halt. You can see how cool that looks if you turn No Crash Damage on in the debug menu.

Edited by CaptRobau

I'm also having the issue of sparks etc. on wheels, taxiing before takeoff, and at very low speeds. Secondly I noticed - and the effect is very cool, but maybe not intended - that I get the same yellow glow that the sparks give off when I fire up certain rocket engines (as on the launch pad). The engines seem to emit a yellow glow onto surfaces around them. Looks pretty cool, but wonder if it's supposed to happen...

EDIT: Also, with certain wheels (a rescaled smaller version of the stock small landing gear, for ex) the yellow glow is basically on all the time, and the wheel always sparks.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Same issue with wheels sparking, but I Love the rest of the concept! I'm not positive, but it looks like dragging objects generate heat, and glow yellow?

http://youtu.be/tng8yF1HhW8

Great mod! Liked the concept a lot! I think it could merge with Firespitter very well as long as wheels don't generate sparkles nor metal sound (Firespitter already fills these gaps)...

How could we disable these sounds on ModuleManager?

B9 uses firespitter wheels. To fix sparks appearing on firespitter wheels, change this line:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLandingGear],!MODULE[ModuleWheel],!MODULE[CollisionFX]]

to this:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLandingGear],!MODULE[ModuleWheel],!MODULE[CollisionFX],!MODULE[FSwheel]]

I'm hoping to have a release with this and a fix for the stuck sound issue some time today.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.