[1.3 - 1.2.2] Collision FX v4.0 (2017-03-09) Now with biome coloured dust!

pizzaoverhead

I'll double-check my install tonight, but I'm pretty sure I'm using version 2.0, but Kerbals are still sparking on EVA. I'll post video tonight after checking I have the correct version installed.

I've had Kerbals spark, too, or perhaps they're making the pod spark when they come in contact with it and move it (can't remember, exactly) - version 2.0.

Downloaded 1.1.0.0 There's a bug where the Squad-stock landing gear produces sparks & noise when a plane is moving whole & correctly on the runway. Problem occurs when wheel brakes are on or off, steering on or off. Note that other non-stock landing gear (procedural landing gear, for example) work correctly and do not throw sparks/noise.

I want to let you know that your currently implementation in the MM patch you distribute which is supposed to disable interaction with Kerbal Foundries parts will become obsolete with the next release of lo-fi's mod. The module names have changed quite a bit since the days of ModuleTrack. Right now, the best way to check for lo-fi's reinvention of the wheel is simply to check for a module named KFWheel. I'm posting the updated patch for that below:

@PART
[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLandingGear],!MODULE[ModuleWheel],!MODULE[CollisionFX],!MODULE[FSwheel],!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[TTModularWheel],!MODULE[*Repulsor*],!MODULE[KFWheel]]
{
MODULE
{
name = CollisionFX
scrapeSparks = true
collisionSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/Bang1
scrapeSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/GroundSkid
}
}

You'll notice that the repulsor search in surrounded with wildcards. This is because there are actually several variations on the repulsor module and I've found in some of my own patches that encapsulating the word "repulsor" with asterisks allows MM to catch all of those variations. The module "KFWheel" exists in all of the parts (wheels and tracks, even the hypno-drive aka. screw-drive has a KFWheel module, only the repulsors are lacking it) and so is an easy catch-all for Kerbal Foundries wheel-like parts.

Again, this update will only be necessary after lo-fi's next update.

First of all, this is an awesome plugin! Those unrealistic sliding is more funny and kerbal-style now!

I have two suggestion however.

1. You SHOULD mentioned that Module Manger is REQUIRED in the OP, I Get it working after check the readme. MM is not mentioned in the OP, not a word.

2. You've put it into the planned features, but I have to say that effect varies on difference surface is needed, metal scrape sound&effect on grass land looks really weird.

3. The sound effect is good, I think the sparks effect should only be triggered when you're fast enough (10~30m/s maybe), currently my vehicle keep sparking like a boss even if they're scraping sloooooooowly.

*OK it's actually three of them

Then let's see the bug I encountered:

isOO75W3EO4t7.jpg

Looks like the front wheel is stucking and it's made of metal. It's not and not. I don't know why this happens, because it's tilted?

Here's my craft file, I hope you can reproduce the bug:http://www./download/ax5zg3e8u73awgb/Bee.7z

I'd like to note that we haven't actually released the KF wheel update as soon as I thought we were going to when I made my previous post... so if you've also removed the old module names from the exclusion list then you've actually messed up other people who are still using the old release. Sorry about that. I was under the impression that we were within 2 days of a new release, but now it's looking like lo-fi is taking some time off while the 0.90 and holiday season debris clears before making a new release. It's well worth the wait though, I assure you.

You know, I don't actually have any issue with the grass producing sparks. Okay, so it's not exactly what you'd see in the real world all the time but considering that the ground is likely very rocky and quite solid considering all the abuse we put it though and it still looks perfect, sparks kinda make sense there. I think it's all fake grass anyway. The KSC would be a complete and utter mess of a bog by now if it were real. My theory is that all the grassy terrain on Kerbin is actually a false surface that hides Kerbin's subterranean population. Rather than try to house them all in true subterranean dwellings, the administration of population control (of which the KSC is a major member of, if you consider all the kerbals being removed from the over-population statistics on the hourly basis in horrible aircraft and spacecraft related experiments) decided to encase the entire surface of the planet (at least the habitable parts) in an artificial sphere made to resemble an untouched and perfect planetary surface. This could also explain how such alrge parts can be built and assembled at the KSC without any perceivable assembly plants and other production systems in place to prepare the materials. The solution is that the entire production system is actually underground... which means that the part of the VAB that we can see is really the very tip of a huge building where only the very top is poking through the shroud.

I cannot prove any of this though... so I'll just have to shoot any one of you who disagrees with me. It's nothing personal honest...

EDIT: after looking at the updated MM patch you made, I see that you just updated the repulsor module check, and have left out the updates to the KF module names for the time being. Good! Had me worried for a while there.

Edited by Gaalidas

I'd like to note that we haven't actually released the KF wheel update as soon as I thought we were going to when I made my previous post... so if you've also removed the old module names from the exclusion list then you've actually messed up other people who are still using the old release. Sorry about that. I was under the impression that we were within 2 days of a new release, but now it's looking like lo-fi is taking some time off while the 0.90 and holiday season debris clears before making a new release. It's well worth the wait though, I assure you.

You know...

More than enough, LOL

I consider this mod stock now, it makes failures so much more dramatic and fun. Would be great to see different particle effects based on what surface you're crashing into.
Are there different FX for different surfaces? Such as red dust in Duna, gray dust on the Mun and so on?

That's the plan! I need to do a bit of reading on particle effects and changing their colours first however.

• 3 weeks later...
Please remove effects for Kerbals - it`s quite funny to see sparks when Jeb grabs ladder=))

He already removed the effects from kerbals, the sparks are the parts reacting to contact, not the kerbals (throw some kerbals around on the Mun, they won't spark).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.