[1.3 - 1.2.2] Collision FX v4.0 (2017-03-09) Now with biome coloured dust!

pizzaoverhead

Hah, I do tend to write big walls of text. The trouble with a patch that was amde months ago is that isn't probably way out of date as to the current state of KF. Modules and parts have been renamed and modified, etc. I'll have a look at it and see, though. My wall of text was more an introduction to what I am in the process of doing that will more or less fix the issue with wheels once and for all, without simply eliminating their potential for effects.

If you decide you'd like to merge with CollisionFX, you can create a pull request on the github page for any features you'd like to integrate. I'll be starting work on this again once 1.0 arrives.

I really hope this (or something similar) ends up a stock feature. This is one of those little mods you install that, while you don't keep noticing it, really do add polish!

I did see that (on the KSPTV 1.0 stream) dust effects are a thing now...

Squad often say that the best way to get a feature added to the game is to create a mod for it that shows how awesome the feature is. Here's hoping that more little effects like this that add atmosphere end up in the stock game in future.

The new take-off/landing effects are really impressive, and something I've wanted to see in the game for a long time:

QJP6A9W.png

from here:

Edited by pizzaoverhead

I don't know if Squad implemented intravessel parts collision, but I was fliying a plane with this awesome mod, the version above of course, and the landing gear still showed sparks at high G even with it retracted, also the sparking sound was still playing. A bit anoying bug but I hope this can be fixed :P

http://i.imgur.com/nhp8a1M.png

No high-G forces needed; this is what I get when trying to take off with a stock plane. That, and collision sounds constantly playing when flying.

No, the brakes are not on ;).

I too have had this issues but with the new fairings when they decouple a constant sound plays as if two huge ships where rubbing against each other lol.

I don't know if Squad implemented intravessel parts collision, but I was fliying a plane with this awesome mod, the version above of course, and the landing gear still showed sparks at high G even with it retracted, also the sparking sound was still playing. A bit anoying bug but I hope this can be fixed :P
http://i.imgur.com/nhp8a1M.png

No high-G forces needed; this is what I get when trying to take off with a stock plane. That, and collision sounds constantly playing when flying.

No, the brakes are not on ;).

I too have had this issues but with the new fairings when they decouple a constant sound plays as if two huge ships where rubbing against each other lol.

Overheating wheel bearings strike again! Thanks all, I'll check it out.

Quick note to people who are hearing a constant screeching sound when there shouldn't be one: if you pause the game and than unpause, any collision noises will go away.

Quick note to people who are hearing a constant screeching sound when there shouldn't be one: if you pause the game and than unpause, any collision noises will go away.

This is because SparkSqueal.wav goes into infinite loop, after any sparky collision.

Deleting this file from GameData\CollisionFX\Sounds solves the problem :)

This is because SparkSqueal.wav goes into infinite loop, after any sparky collision.

Deleting this file from GameData\CollisionFX\Sounds solves the problem :)

Not very brilliant idea, cause it will cause an error spam in the log if I'm right.

Same problem, the sparkling landing gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you just enable ground effects for everything, including wheels, for those races, and make the sparks for everything that is not a wheel?

Version 3.0.1 is now available. It fixes the issue with sparking wheels.

Thanks a ton Pizza, this is an excellent mod. Just a warning though, you may want to update the first post to reflect the new version (as I didn't realize you'd updated it to fix the landing gear bug).

Pizza, Have you considered applying the effect (lightly) to parts that are very near meltdown while entering atmo. I mean if your part is getting hot enough to nearly be destroyed...bit should be melting off.

Interestingly the effect is also applied during high G maneuvers. I think it's unintentional but it's actually kind of cool, the camera shakes, your plane wobbles a bit and you get horrible noise and sparking. It's a good mental note to stop doing that.

I'm getting a weird persistent metal on metal sound when my stages separate. The sound persists until I go back to the spaceport.

Yeah, I have this problem too.

I'm going to try the solution most likely to mess things up- deleting that file.

Yea I got the consistent grinding sound also nonstop >XD!

Edit: an easier fix is to remove sparkSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/SparkSqueal from the ModuleManager_CollisionFX.cfg

Edited by Woodstar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.