[1.3 - 1.2.2] Collision FX v4.0 (2017-03-09) Now with biome coloured dust!

pizzaoverhead

On 10/17/2017 at 1:31 AM, katateochi said:

I find that I rarely hear the wheel screech on landing, but I hear it all the time when wheels touch other parts (ie a vehicle driving into a cargo bay).  I also hear a wheel screech when approaching the runway (but long before the craft has touched down, might be caused by other already landed craft at KSC). 

Also I don't get the dust effects, is there a config that needs setting or are there known mod conflicts that prevent the dust?

On 9/19/2017 at 9:57 PM, the_machemer said:

I can't seem to get landing gear to screech when I perform a gentle landing or even a hard landing, but if I come down way too hard and my plane disintegrates, I will often hear the landing gear screeching as they slide across the runway in all directions. Is there some sort of closing speed requirement or something that make the fx happen? I usually try to land as gently as IRL aircraft. 

Yeah, me too. I've tried to look deeper into it and seems like OnCollisionEnter is not fired every single time the wheels touch the runway. It somehow depends on the vertical speed. So I've made a patch for this - I'm checking the wheels every 0.5 sec with 1-3 boolean comparisons - should not have any significant FPS impact - and now it squeals as it should. 

@pizzaoverhead, would you like me to make a PR?

Edited by whale_2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 10:16 PM, Aonova said:

Did you try my MM config tweak proposed earlier this page? It makes CFX ignore KF wheels totally, since they handle thier own sound and dust fx. Sould stop the sparks, since iirc CFX considers KF wheels as a generic part an adds sparks defaultly

won't work, i tried

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 7:07 AM, Aonova said:

You are right, a simple MM patch fixes this since KF wheels (after using which I cant go back to vanilla x.x) dont use any specified wheel def in CollisionFX MM patches (The new KF changed the name to a standard "KSPWheelBase")

FIX: Go to CollisionFX folder and add the following MM patch (Just a text file with .cfg at the end)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KSPWheelBase]]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = CollisionFX
		scrapeSparks = false
		wheelImpactSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/TyreSqueal
	}
}

You also want to modify the "catch-all" patch at the end of the "ModuleManager_CollsionFX.cfg" to exclude "KSPWheelbase" as well

Example:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleWheelBase],!MODULE[KSPWheelBase],<...>]

Unfortunately, CFX always seemed to have issues with over persistent or sensitive effects of some parts (usually internals and small parts/lights/rcs with finicky hit detection or colliders) which I dont think has much to do with MM as it does with the plugin itself and its calculation methods.

Thank you ;-)

This solved the sparks with every landing.

Mine now looks like this....guess i could remove the BD entry since they don't work anymore...:

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheelBase]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = CollisionFX
        scrapeSparks = false
    }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[BDAdjustableLandingGear]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = CollisionFX
        scrapeSparks = false
    }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KSPWheelBase]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = CollisionFX
        scrapeSparks = false
    }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleWheelBase],!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[CollisionFX],!MODULE[FSwheel],!MODULE[FSwheelAlignment],!MODULE[BDAdjustableLandingGear],!MODULE[TTModularWheel],!MODULE[Repulsor],!MODULE[ModuleTrack],!MODULE[TrackWheel],!MODULE[KFModuleWheel],!MODULE[KFWheel],!MODULE[KFTrackSurface]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = CollisionFX
        scrapeSparks = true
        collisionSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/Bang1
        scrapeSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/GroundSkid
        sparkSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/SparkSqueal
    }
}

I'm playing the Galileo Planet Pack, using this mod.  In the log, there are thousands upon thousands of lines reading:

[CollisionFX] Unable to find dust definition for body "Gael"; using CollisionFX default.

Which sounds like what it should do.  Problem is, if I'm reading the log timestamps right, it spends about five seconds processing these thousands and thousands of lines of error code.  Can I just paste in the default setting for Kerbin into a new patch with the name changed to Gael?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 8:32 PM, whale_2 said:

So, while @pizzaoverhead is being silent, I drafted a fix that makes landing gear screech every time as they supposed to.

Works in 1.3.1, not sure about latest KSP release.

Download from GitHub

Unfortunately, it doesn't works  with 1.4.1. 

[ERR 12:55:31.121] Module CollisionFX threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an inst
ance of an object
  at CollisionFX.CollisionFX.SetupParticles () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CollisionFX.CollisionFX.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ some unrelated logs]

[EXC 12:55:31.737] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        CollisionFX.CollisionFX.DustImpact (Single speed, Vector3 contactPoint, System.String colliderName)
        CollisionFX.CollisionFX.OnCollisionEnter (UnityEngine.Collision c)
[EXC 12:55:31.741] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        CollisionFX.CollisionFX.ScrapeParticles (Single speed, Vector3 contactPoint, System.String colliderName, UnityEngine.G
ameObject collidedWith)
        CollisionFX.CollisionFX.Scrape (.Part part, UnityEngine.GameObject collidedWith, UnityEngine.Transform collidedWithTra
nsform, Vector3 position, Single relativeVelocity, System.String colliderName, Boolean tyreCollision)
        CollisionFX.CollisionFX.OnCollisionStay (UnityEngine.Collision c)
[LOG 12:55:31.769] mtShader is null
[EXC 12:55:31.787] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[and the exceptions keep going on until the end of the session]

Edited by Lisias

32 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't works  with 1.4.1. 

Well, I never tested it in 1.4.1 and new Unity can have something to do with particle effects. Some of the APIs used in the mod was marked as deprecated in 1.3.1 already.
I'll take a look (soon-ish) if this is a quick fix or not.

11 hours ago, whale_2 said:

Well, I never tested it in 1.4.1 and new Unity can have something to do with particle effects. Some of the APIs used in the mod was marked as deprecated in 1.3.1 already.
I'll take a look (soon-ish) if this is a quick fix or not.

Le me know if you need some help on testing. I'm on 1.4.1 (as you probably noticed =P) and I'm interested in your mod! :-)

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

On the planned features in the first post.

Also, when you phrase it as a command rather than a question, you appear rude.

My bad, didn't see it. I don't mean to be rude, either. Fixed it just now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought I'd add my $.02 since I've upgraded to 1.4.5 and now I'm seeing even more log spam using this mod than in my previous 1.4.3 install.

I didn't realize it was causing such an issue until I went and looked for another problem upgrading from 1.4.3 --> 1.4.5, and then saw all this spammity spam choking my game. Sure enough it was spamming my 1.4.3 logs as well.

Sadly, I think I'll have to drop this mod until some of this gets resolved.

Good luck and hope it gets an update!

Edited by scottadges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.