What aerodynamic model do you use?

lukeoftheaura

What aerodynamic model do you use?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. What aerodynamic model do you use?

• Stock sloppydynamics
    • NEAR
    • FAR
    • other (please post)

Started with stock, switched to FAR because I got unhappy with how easy it was to get rockets without any nosecones or fairings into orbit. Now the fairing mod that I have installed has a purpose. I have about a 10% launch failure now due to over-controlling, or exceeding terminal velocity, or having something burn off the side of the craft.

Nonetheless, it didn't take too long to get used to it. I just have to put a nosecone / fairing on, add fins on the tail, then just use tiny control movements until above 15-20k altitude.

I like it because the breakups are more realistic when you screw up and start corkscrewing on the ascent.

Why yes. FAR is the correct aerodynamic model, and you have to make realistic aircraft with it. Like this one:

http://greenoctagon.co.uk/~dmpserver/gallery/dmpmodsfar/Technicalfool/2014-11-06%2023-03-10.jpg

Seriously, less of the No True Scotsman fallacy, please. You're insulting the intelligence of people you don't even know.

FAR flight assistant is showing High Dynamic Pressure, because it's in transonic speeds and has a non-aerodinamic front... it would probably get destroyed as soon as it turns.

Also SAS modules are OP in KSP, there are 2 there...

FAR flight assistant is showing High Dynamic Pressure, because it's in transonic speeds and has a non-aerodinamic front...

More than likely, not that it makes a difference in this case.

it would probably get destroyed as soon as it turns.

So do most things in FAR if you try to turn them at mach speeds (or even significantly less than mach) without majorly limiting the amount of swing on each axis.

Also SAS modules are OP in KSP, there are 2 there...

It works with one, but I like to play. Here, have another FARplane, only this one is built to take advantage of rapid and entirely planned disassembly:

2014-11-06%2023-58-35.jpg

I prefer FAR. Although I played my first year in ksp without it. I like the way planes and shuttles work with FAR. The only thing that still annoys me is that the stock SAS (not reaction wheels!) is not working properly, due to the slow and soft reaction... I can easily control crafts with the keyboard that SAS can't (with a joystick it's a cake walk).

Also, to me FAR doesn't make getting to orbit that much easyer. The lower delta-v requirements go hand in hand with a need for proper control. The extra mass for winglets and gimbaling engines (booster only stages are problematic) makes my small rockets less efficent. Allthough they are still smaller than they would be in stock, they are getting more complex

All though FAR is not prefect it is really darn good. Stock aero dynamics feel like you are flying through soup rather than air! Also if you feel FAR makes it too easy to get to space, use Ferram's KIDS mod to change how ISP works which puts it back in balance. I do, haven't flown any rockets in a long time though. I mainly build replica US fighter jet aircraft. Though I intended to play through career mode again after .9 is released. Right now sandbox is providing me with enough fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.