Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

Interesting. Can the XV-H fly without the vertical engines once it gets up to speed?

Nope, the four lift engines are required for constant lift.

On an additional note. The XV-M, A and H all have their liftjets tilted forward a few degrees. This helps with forward airspeed without having such an aggressive nose down attitude. The XV-M for example maintains a moderate forward airspeed when the nose is maintained at the horizon, which makes it easier to do slow speed flight around an LZ. It just means that the XV's hover a few degrees nose high, which isn't unlike some real-world helicopters that mount their rotor systems tilted forward slightly for the same reason.

After proving the practicality of the quad-engine-powered XV-H, the SPH RAC cell began designing another quad-engine XV. This new XV, designated XV-L (Lift) would have twice the payload-lifting capacity of the XV-H, and be able to lift oversized payloads that may not fit in the cargo bay of the XV-H, or aren't able to be rolled up the ramp. Like the XV-H, the L would have a similar set of augmentation engines, giving it dash speeds of 135 m/s, shattering the XV speed record of the XV-H. The main limitation to the XV-L is it's lack of passenger compartments, however modular crew containers could be designed to be mounted underneath if the need arises.

XV-L%20Recovery%20001_zps3irtvoar.jpg    XV-L%20Recovery%20002_zpswjgdt9dq.jpg

XV-L%20Recovery%20003_zps7xuqu1ph.jpg    XV-L%20Recovery%20004_zpsuzfqnq7d.jpg

Winch built using Kerbal Attachment System/KAS (KAS requires Kerbal Inventory System/KIS to function).

Edited by Raptor9

• 2 weeks later...

oh sht dude this thread is awesome. can you tell me how you have multiple crafts loaded in the hanger. I know there's the merge option but that loads a translucent craft

Unfortunately, with the nerfing of the J-33 'Wheesley' engine thrust, which powers all the XV-series craft, most of them are severely underpowered now. The XV-H can't even get off the ground even with no payload, and the XV-L and XV-A are maxing out thrust just to fly. The XV-M isn't in too bad of shape, but I'm still trying to see about overhauling all the craft files to make them a little more usable. If you want the XV-M now in it's pre-1.0.3/4 state, send me a PM with your email address. I removed the XV craft from KerbalX until I can get them sorted.

Unfortunately, with the nerfing of the J-33 'Wheesley' engine thrust, which powers all the XV-series craft, most of them are severely underpowered now. The XV-H can't even get off the ground even with no payload, and the XV-L and XV-A are maxing out thrust just to fly. The XV-M isn't in too bad of shape, but I'm still trying to see about overhauling all the craft files to make them a little more usable. If you want the XV-M now in it's pre-1.0.3/4 state, send me a PM with your email address. I removed the XV craft from KerbalX until I can get them sorted.

Yeah, I was thinking 1.0.3 might have caused problems for vtols. Hopefully squad find a way to keep vtol's practical whilst keeping jets sane and atmospheres realistic-ish, now you need a basic jet for every 8 tonnes of craft just to get 1.0 twr. I'll send you my email address for the current version, I actually might be able to help with sorting it out since I used to make this kind of craft a lot in old versions (I even did the engine-in-a-big-reaction-wheel at some point, but abandoned it for some reason, looks like you made it work, and look awesome too).

Raptor Aerospace has delivered the most advanced aerospace design to date to the KSA: the SVR-16 'Ranger' vertical launch spaceplane

EVR-3A%20Ranger%20Launch_zpshw7t07se.jpg

The SVR-16X prototype on the pad (below). A better, more refined launch stack on the final version (above).

EVR-3X%20Ranger%20Prototype_zpsiddzqzqe.jpg

To fully evaluate what the 'Ranger' was capable of, I ran a series of payload tests. The max payload I was able to deliver safely to a 500x500 km orbit was 20 tons. Any more than that and the spacecraft would not have enough fuel to return to Kerbin, without entering at a suicidal reentry angle.  Max payload weight it can land with however is 9 tons, centered on the cargo bay.  Any more weight or shifting it forward would result in controllability issues during final approach to the KSC.

EVR-3A%20Ranger%20Reentry_zpsvroitwsy.jpg

For the OCD people out there, obvious differences from the real-life Shuttle:
1) Liquid fuel boosters, not solid...the Mainsail-powered boosters were easier to control and predict, not to mention they burned a lot longer.
2) Airbrakes on the side. We don't exactly have split control surfaces in KSP now do we?
3) RCS thruster locations are different, especially on the nose. Trying to match real-life locations and orientations was problematic with the single linear RCS port available. The straightforward design favors
controllability versus replication. Meh.
4) Small radiator mounted to either side of the vertical tail fin. Don't have deployable cargo bay radiators like the real-life shuttle. (Those might have been what kept my nose landing gear from going :P)
5) No Remote Manipulator System (RMS).

Edited by Raptor9
Fixed some typos

• 1 month later...
Can I have the download link for that MK4 Vtol ? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

With the larger Mk4 system parts and reduced basic jet thrust I doubt it would work now anyway (not that the craft file would be compatible with the new parts anyway).

For added role play in the beginning blurb you could list that the second RA cell is at the R&D wing tunnel.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed you changed from KAF to KDF. Lemme guess, you read old mans war.

For added role play in the beginning blurb you could list that the second RA cell is at the R&D wing tunnel.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed you changed from KAF to KDF. Lemme guess, you read old mans war.

EDIT: Misread, sorry. That is a good idea, but since the R&D-based office's purpose is to keep aprised of new materials (ie unlocked parts ha ha), I'd rather assume the wind tunnel is kinda like any other lab space. It can be scheduled for use by Raptor Aerospace, but still belongs to the Kerbal Space Agency. I never really put that deep of consideration into it.

Regarding the second point, never heard of Old Man's War. The KAF is the air force component of the Kerbin DoD, and the KDF is the ground force component. Using the assumption that Kerbin is one unified nation, there's not much use for a terrestrially-based army in my opinion. The KDF is more akin to a National Guard for disaster relief, with a secondary armed conflict role just in case.

EDIT 2: Just for clarification, the "role play" aspect of this thread is really non-existent. The backstory, however fictional, is simply for immersion and context. There is no actual "staff" of KSP players in various positions of the RAC cell. This is just me adding a little flavor to this thread, which is meant as a craft file showcase.

Edited by Raptor9

• 1 month later...

KerbalX links:

EV-4 Block 1

EV-4 Block 2

EV-4 Block 3

EV-4 Block 4

EDIT: I'll be posting the lifters for these modular components shortly, check back :)

You should add a version with a releasable cargo bay for landing modules.

That's outside the scope of the EV-4. To keep from making a massive ship (and high part count), the EV-4 is simply a crew transfer vehicle and mobile lab. It's designed to meet up with pre-staged equipment, such as landing vehicles or surface modules, and then return the crew and science to Kerbin (while conducting additional study and research on the data while in return transit). These prepositioned modules and other equipment can be sent ahead of this ship in long-duration/slower trajectories that require less delta-V to slow down at the destination.

To see the concept in action, click on the Red Planet Rivals video link in my signature. :)

Edited by Raptor9

• 2 weeks later...

Raptor Aerospace has returned from the Rocket Builders subforum in advance of the forum migration. Kasper reported the Rocket Builders subforum will be going away during the migration. I will be posting craft files back here once more.

Edited by Raptor9

• 1 month later...

Here's some samples of the stuff I've been doing since I last updated this thread. Now that I'm back to this thread, craft files are now posted on the first page after I design and test prototypes.

EV-3%20Preview_zpswvn1mpah.png

Edited by Raptor9
Repaired image url's