Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

2 minutes ago, Neil Kerman said:

Does anyone know where I can find the 1.3 versions of the stock craft, as the craft I found in kerbalx are not working with my 1.3 install

Unfortunately, you can't install a craft with a version number higher than what you're using.  However, an option is to open the craft file in notepad and edit the version number from 1.3.1 to 1.3.0, but that may lead to bugs that are present in 1.3.0.  Like craft that have struts or fuel lines inside fairings exploding on the launchpad.  It's one of the more significant bugs with 1.3.0.

8 hours ago, Neil Kerman said:

Does anyone know where I can find the 1.3 versions of the stock craft, as the craft I found in kerbalx are not working with my 1.3 install

I didn't do the math but if you stay with 1.3 then half of @Raptor9's crafts will explode on the launch pad unless you cheat them into orbit without any fairings. Where is the fun in that? Or why don't you just update to 1.3.1?

6 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

I didn't do the math but if you stay with 1.3 then half of @Raptor9's crafts will explode on the launch pad unless you cheat them into orbit without any fairings. Where is the fun in that? Or why don't you just update to 1.3.1?

I have a ton of mods on my 1.3 save and updateing them all would be a massive undertaking 

M3V update, for anyone that cares. :P As I've said before, this is partly a way for me to put my thoughts into text form; and the series of Notepad "memos" I keep in my KSP projects folder.

I've referenced the Lockheed "Mars Base Camp" concept several times, and if you consider it as a large interplanetary ship that also serves as a space station when it arrives on-site in Mars orbit, this is sort of what I'm going for with the baseline M3V orbital component.  In keeping with my existing naming convention, the new modular exploration vehicle will be named the EV-6 'Windjammer'.  It's closest brethren is the EV-4 'Longship', however unlike previous EV-series, the EV-6 won't be further designated by Model or by Block.  Since it's assembled using "kits", the EV-6 configurations are being divided into several main "EV-6 Windjammer Kits", which can be further outfitted into sub-configurations by "EV-6 Support Kits".  An example would be a "Heavy Windjammer Kit" being equipped with either a "Duna Landing Kit" or an "Ike Landing Kit".

So far I've completed tests of various EV-6 configurations traveling to Eve, Duna, Dres and even Jool; although Jool is really scraping the edge of the current range, even when launched from Munar orbit.  These trajectories didn't take advantage of gravity assists or aerobrakes, so there is always potential there.  I'm working on another main EV-6 configuration called the "Long-Range Windjammer Kit", which is specifically designed to go to Jool.  Besides the obvious propellant requirements, additional modules it would possibly be outfitted with are a dedicated communications array and a "nuclear reactor" (RTG cluster inside a service bay) for the solar energy drop-off.  But this configuration changed three times just this morning, so not much point in going into further detail. :rolleyes:

I've been really busy with my real-life job, and a move to a different residence, but I'm trying to iron down the first group of kits so they can be published on KerbalX soon.  I want to import these craft into my career save as soon as possible myself.

3 hours ago, Thorn_Ike said:

Can you make a tutorial on how you make these blueprints with Paint?

There's really nothing fancy to it. In order to keep similar template layouts, I make a copy of a completed graphic and simply place content on top of it in the appropriate places. For the renders I use Kronal Vessel Viewer, and for the captioned photos I just use cropped screenshots. Everything else is simply typing words and drawing lines.

Finally, M3V is seeing the light of day.  Bottom line up front: the next couple days will see the first sixteen craft files published, with two already on KerbalX.  These two are a pair of Advance Logistics Kits for Ike/Dres and Gilly respectively.  Essentially these would be the first stage of an interplanetary expedition, sent ahead to establish a minimal ISRU capability to start generating in-SOI propellant ahead of the next shipments.  For those familiar with my catalog, the 'Ike/Dres Logistics Kit' doesn't necessarily include anything new, but it's a pre-packaged kit of existing equipment in a single launcher.  The 'Gilly Logistics Kit' however, does include an all new ISRU rig design, the IV-2A 'Badger'.  There are some considerations to keep in mind when using these kits, which I will list in the Engineer's Notes next to their KerbalX links tomorrow after I get some sleep.

The second stage following ISRU logistics kits would be Advance Equipment Kits.  These pre-positioned kits would bring research facilities, comms, etc.  The final stage would be the actual EV-6 'Windjammer' crewed ships.  Since you can only publish so many craft files to KerbalX at once, I'm holding off on the bulk of the kits until tomorrow so I can release them at once (they're all inter-related, so trying to keep it easy to follow).  Several more will follow the day after.

As previously stated, these will be just an initial series of craft files, and don't represent the entirety of the M3V series.  As more kits are completed and graphics finished, they will be published in the near future.  They'll be located in the VAB>M3V section, newly established between the Satellites & Probes and the Rocket Market.

Ten more M3V kits published; all advance equipment kits, all main 'Windjammer' kits, and three of the five EV-6 support kits.  The 'Duna Landing Kit' and 'Ike/Dres Landing Kit' will be published tomorrow, along with standalone launchers for the LV-4B 'Armadillo' and LV-2E 'Cricket' landers.

So to start off with the first graphic; each kit includes an M3V-PL research module, but the second module is what is unique in each kit.  Each has a specific purpose, or may meet certain criteria of ship/station contracts, like having a cupola.  What is unique about the 'Exploration Kit' is the fact it has an RC-L01 large probe core and powerful communications, enabling you to control probes and rovers in any far away SOI without relying on a signal from KSC, even through multiple hops.  Such applications that came to mind was controlling mining rigs/ships in the Dres SOI, or controlling science probes/rovers throughout the various Joolian moons.  It should be noted that having a NITE docked to a ship with a pilot also gives you this capability since it has a large probe core and good communications.

The second graphic is the core of the orbital portion of the M3V project.  Depending on what flavor of EV-6 you want, you launch either a Basic, Extended or Heavy variant, and then further customize your mission equipment with more propellant, crew vehicles, landers, or whatever else you want to take with you (provided you have enough delta-V for your destination).  The EV-2L 'Runabout' is also central to the operation of the EV-6 'Windjammer', just as the Orion is crucial to the Mars Base Camp concept.  The EV-2L provides the propulsion, attitude control, command module, and if necessary fuel cell power generation.  Not to mention that you can also use them to reenter the atmosphere of Kerbin if you aren't able to re-enter a stable parking orbit with the entire ship.

One unique aspect of the M3V-PH 'Heavy Propellant Module', is that the aft side has docking ports for two EV-2L's, and an additional large docking port for LITE/NITE stages, or even an SLV-M to dock to.  These could be used to reposition the ship if the EV-2L's are off doing their own thing.  Not to mention it carries a lot more propellant as well.  This layout also allows for two EV-2L's to use their propulsion systems at the same time for better TWR, and it allows other payloads to be mounted to the front of the EV-6 such as landers.

In an emergency, if an EV-6 'Windjammer' equipped with only two M3V-PB 'Basic Propellant Modules' and two EV-2L's were to arrive in low Duna orbit and was not able to refuel from any ISRU depots, an emergency return config was tested.  All remaining propellant was consolidated into a single LITE stage from one of the EV-2L's, and the ship reconfigured as in the image below.  The LITE was almost completely full prior to the departure burn from Duna, and when the capsules separated for Kerbin reentry nearly half the tank was still filled.  It hasn't been tested from Gilly orbit, but it "should" still work.  Of course you could ditch the large habitation module if the Kerbals don't mind being cramped in the small Mk1-2 pods for the long journey home. :wink:

Emergency%20Return%20Test_zpszo2hp6qm.png

Edited by Raptor9

And the next contestant is: "Duna Landing Kit", "Ike/Dres Landing Kit", and standalone launchers of the LV-4B 'Armadillo' and LV-2E 'Cricket'.  All four are available for download on KerbalX...whew :) (wipes brow before pivoting back to the surface components of M3V).

It's worth noting that the LV-2E is capable of landing on the Mun as well, but with a tighter margin (~200m/s less dV) than the LV-2D 'Cricket'.  So be careful if you decide to commit to such a maneuver.  Also, the LV-4B is also more than capable of landing on the Mun, Ike, Dres, etc.  In one test, I departed with full tanks from a 65km Duna orbit to Ike, landed on it, and then launched and returned to a 65km Duna orbit.  Or, from an equatorial Ike orbit with full tanks, conducted a 60 deg inclination change, landed, launched back to orbit, and then did a reverse inclination change back to a 0 deg inclination orbit around Ike.  So the LV-4B is a very capable and flexible lander or in-SOI crew transport.  Both landers have surface refueling reports if such a capability is needed.

Edited by Raptor9

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

And the next contestant is: "Duna Landing Kit", "Ike/Dres Landing Kit", and standalone launchers of the LV-4B 'Armadillo' and LV-2E 'Cricket'.  All four are available for download on KerbalX...whew :) (wipes brow before pivoting back to the surface components of M3V).

It's worth noting that the LV-2E is capable of landing on the Mun as well, but with a tighter margin (~200m/s less dV) than the LV-2D 'Cricket'.  So be careful if you decide to commit to such a maneuver.  Also, the LV-4B is also more than capable of landing on the Mun, Ike, Dres, etc.  In one test, I departed with full tanks from a 65km Duna orbit to Ike, landed on it, and then launched and returned to a 65km Duna orbit.  Or, from an equatorial Ike orbit with full tanks, conducted a 60 deg inclination change, landed, launched back to orbit, and then did a reverse inclination change back to a 0 deg inclination orbit around Ike.  So the LV-4B is a very capable and flexible lander or in-SOI crew transport.  Both landers have surface refueling reports if such a capability is needed.

I like that Armadillo! I've designed similar stuff myself, fairings are the best thing since sliced bread once you get the hang of them. I would even use something similar in my save, if I didn't like Mk3 adaptor tanks so much, and didn't use kerbin SSTOs as general-use landers already. Kind of like that Armadillo can do 'all the things' the others can? 'If you can make it there...', and all that.

Rune. And I have a hunch we will get to change their textures next update! Disclaimer: This is very much not a confirmed thing, that I know of. It might not happen, or need a mod to happen.

12 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Can I tell you how much I love those designs?  In particular, I love how practical both of them look.  The 'Cricket' looks wonderful as a non-atmospheric lander, with its strut-mounted RCS thrusters and asymmetric geometry mass balance.  The 'Armadillo' is especially impressive as you made a stock atmospheric lander that looks like plenty of real life concept designs I have seen.  I love the application of fairings to make that teardrop shape and the thrusters inside the intake housing look perfect.  I am surprised you could get something that big to Duna orbit with just 'Twitch' engines though.

16 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

I am surprised you could get something that big to Duna orbit with just 'Twitch' engines though.

Neither of those landers can get to Duna on their own.  The rockets transport them to Munar orbit, where they are docked to interplanetary propulsion stages or large ships.  This is why they are mounted to adapter plates with large docking clamps.  Most of my landers are mounted this way.  If you look at the graphics in the post just above the landers, you'll see how they fit into the architecture.

But I still wanted the landers available as standalone downloads outside of the M3V Landing Kits in case someone wanted to use other methods of getting them to their destinations.

Glad you like them the landers @Rune and @Fearless Son:)

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Neither of those landers can get to Duna on their own.  The rockets transport them to Munar orbit, where they are docked to interplanetary propulsion stages or large ships.  This is why they are mounted to adapter plates with large docking clamps.  Most of my landers are mounted this way.  If you look at the graphics in the post just above the landers, you'll see how they fit into the architecture.

Oh, no-no-no-no, I do not mean that it gets to Duna orbit from a different orbit, but that it gets to Duna orbit from Duna's surface.  That is my fault, my wording was ambiguous, sorry about that.  

That was what surprised me.  I know anything with any amount of thrust whatsoever can get between any orbit with enough fuel, regardless of its thrust-to-mass ratio.  But I would not have pegged a bunch of 'Twitch' engines as lifting engines for an atmospheric lander of that size.  I stereotype them as small probe lander engines or terminal-descent breaking engines, I had not considered them as an option for viable surface-to-orbit flight around an extra-Kerbin atmosphere.  

59 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

Oh, no-no-no-no, I do not mean that it gets to Duna orbit from a different orbit, but that it gets to Duna orbit from Duna's surface.  That is my fault, my wording was ambiguous, sorry about that.

Lol, ok, I got you.  Funny you used that word, because I was reviewing the LV-4B graphic after you posted that like "Did I make this ambiguous somehow?"

8x "Twitch" engines working together is comparable to a Mk55 "Thud" which is no slouch against Duna's surface gravity.  Plus the Duna atmosphere is thin enough that it really doesn't shave too much thrust or Isp from the "Twitch" performance.  With the fuel you consume during the deorbit burn and the during the final approach and landing, you'll probably be lifting off with a gross weight under 21 tons and a TWR of 2.0 or greater.

thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

5 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

Quite interesting stuff there, but what about the Duna SSTO that's already built but yet to be named?

It still requires some more testing and refinement.  It's not a high priority since the LV-4B already provides that role. I'm trying to refocus my efforts on my new atmospheric cargo lander so I can get my larger surface base elements practical for delivery to other planets like Duna.  However I still plan on getting that larger SSTO out there since delivering 7 kerbals at a time to a large surface base is more useful than the 3 delivered by the LV-4B.

All the M3V stuff is looking great so far. I particularly like how you mounted the Twitch engines inside those air intakes - I've done that kind of thing before for vernier thrusters on SRM launch vehicles (four of them at the bottom of the first stage with a small liquid tank, tuned so they burn out at the same time) but I don't think I've seen anyone else using that little design trick before. They're quite fitting on that Armadillo lander; it reminds me somewhat of the engines on the Dragon 2 spacecraft.

9 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

They're quite fitting on that Armadillo lander; it reminds me somewhat of the engines on the Dragon 2 spacecraft.

That's where I got the idea from. :) My inspiration for the LV-4B is from the Mars Excursion Module and the Dragon 2.

This one's for you @Rune.  You got me motivated this morning to take another pass at my DC-X analogue.  It can't SSTO from Kerbin, but has more than enough "oomph" to deorbit from low Duna orbit, drop off a habitation module, and return back to Duna orbit.  And since it's fully robotic, it utilizes pure retropropulsion for landing since it wouldn't be practical to have an engineer constantly repacking chutes; especially if it's placing surface modules before any crew shows up.  Still working out the details of the cargo delivery system, but right now it's able to accept payloads in orbit, and place them on the surface.  The one payload that is too big for it is a Mobile Processing Lab, but I have another cargo lander available for that.

Project%20DC-X%20Hover%20Translation%20Test_zpsbwjdkkro.png     5911027_orig.jpg?437

Lateral hover translation test from the launchpad to the runway.  And for those that haven't seen it, the second photo is a composite image of the real-life DC-X doing a similar hover test in the mid-1990's.

Hum. You like to tease, don't you? I can't make out what you used for a payload bay, so I guess I'll just have to wait to see the cool graphics when you release it. :)

The only really functional cargo bay's I've been able to make use of are Mk3s, and even then loading/unloading rockets is quite tricky.

Rune. ...without KIS/KAS, that is.

Speaking of teasing...Another craft I'm currently testing, is the EV-7 'Skipjack', with the Dres and Jool regions in mind during the design process.  Unlike the last couple EV series, from EV-3 through the EV-6 which have been huge interplanetary ships, the EV-7 is going smaller.  If the EV-2 is a commuter car, and the EV-6 is a semi-truck, the EV-7 is like a cross between a jeep and a sports car.  While it's not ideal for long-distance traveling, it is certainly capable of it with over 2,300 m/s dV.  It's more aptly suited to in-SOI missions, such as traveling between the Joolian moons.  It's completely reliant on LF+O for propulsion and attitude control, which makes it very maneuverable; and is able to hover or land itself under Ike- or Dres-levels of surface gravity.  For higher gravity moon landings, the EV-7 Mobile Mission Kit comes in.

The EV-7 can bring along a collection of mission modules and store them somewhere nearby.  It can return and reconfigure itself accordingly.  One such example is a module that allows it to land on "higher" gravity bodies than Dres, such as the Mun, Vall, or Eeloo.  For landing on Bop, Pol, Minmus or Gilly, it can detach the forward half of the ship since landing the entire vessel would be overkill.  It also has modules that allow it to moor itself to an asteroid, or mine and refine propellant from an asteroid and/or a moon surface.  Some of the modules have built-in science equipment, such as the landing and asteroid mooring modules.

EV-7%20Dres%20Valley%20Flight%20Test_zps4oyzs1ux.png

Test flight through the Dres "Scar" valley, with it's array of floodlights illuminating the terrain around it.