Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

[quote name='Raptor9']For those that have seen episodes from Season 1 or 2 of MARVEL's [I]Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.[/I], you might recognize some of the influence of this design.

[URL]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/KSP%20Vessel%20Brochures/C7%20325R%20Atlas%20Small_zps7ckribo1.png[/URL][/QUOTE]

I'm blown away by that aircraft.

Interior looks amazing!

C7%20300%20Strato-Soar%20Small_zpsilgqwr     C7%20310%20Tri-Soar%20Small_zpse437wybr. 

The latest in large-scale personnel transport...and my first designs utilizing the J-90 'Goliath' turbofan. Available for download on the OP. Happy transporting. :)   

Edited by Raptor9
Repaired image url's

[quote name='Raptor9']The latest in large-scale personnel transport...and my first designs utilizing the J-90 'Goliath' turbofan. Available for download on the OP. Happy transporting. :)

[URL]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/KSP%20Vessel%20Brochures/C7%20300%20Strato-Soar%20Small_zpsg8cjr0dj.png[/URL]

[URL]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/KSP%20Vessel%20Brochures/C7%20310%20Tri-Soar%20Small_zpsy8stwhtc.png[/URL][/QUOTE]

Awesome work man! By the way, I have been looking at your creations for a while, and I always tought "why didn't he create a forum thread with all his creations"... then I looked on your kerbalx page. LOL you just earned a follower (even on YT)

[quote name='Raptor9']The latest in large-scale personnel transport...and my first designs utilizing the J-90 'Goliath' turbofan. Available for download on the OP. Happy transporting. :)
[/QUOTE]

Very nice, interesting how small the range reduction is despite the extra 4.17 tonnes of turbofan hanging out in the airstream.

Are you planning to revive those VTOLs you made that 1.0.3 killed?

Here's my first attempt at a 1.0.5 VTOL, heavily influenced by your XV-M:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AmaztGu.jpg[/IMG]

It's got tonnes of TWR, and is really maneuverable and easy to fly, but there's still a lot of problems. Now the intakes don't work so well static it can't reach full thrust stationary (It can still easily take off though and once in the air you can push the engines as hard as you like). Also, fuel consumption is very high and it only has 500 units of the stuff, so range is very limited. Still, it's a much better situation for VTOLs like this than in 1.0.3/4, so with work it might be possible to get back to the performance the old XV-M had in 1.0.5

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎39‎:‎21‎, BlueCanary said:

Very nice, interesting how small the range reduction is despite the extra 4.17 tonnes of turbofan hanging out in the airstream.

The main consideration is that with three engines, they can all run at a lower throttle setting to achieve similar cruise speeds, but on the other hand, three engines does add extra weight like you said, the additional drag from the intake, and another engine drawing fuel. Having said that, all my performance stats are just a snapshot. The endurance times and distances are more of a "by my calculations, this should be able to achieve at least this amount" statement. To really get a good evaluation, you would have to find out the airspeed where the thrust-to-drag ratio is the greatest, and then find out which altitude that works best based on atmospheric density and power reduction.

Generally I limit my endurance tests to between 4000-5000 meters altitude, and experiment with the throttle in the 60-80% range to find a good tradeoff between speed and fuel burn; just as a way of having some constant conditions to compare and contrast similar designs. Another control I use is max speed ASL (at sea level). Many of the jets can obviously go much faster at higher altitudes, but then the limiting factor is thermo-heating. Anyway, sorry about the geek-digression, just remember to take the performance stats on these aircraft with a grain of salt. There are just too many different conditions and configurations to test and record to get a comprehensive evaluation of a craft's atmospheric performance.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎39‎:‎21‎, BlueCanary said:

Are you planning to revive those VTOLs you made that 1.0.3 killed?

Absolutely, just haven't gotten around to them yet. I'm fairly meticulous (or just OCD) about my designs, so it takes time to update all my stuff with new parts. The X-5 (F-15 analogue) for example has been around for quite a while, but I completely rebuilt it last week from the ground up because I wasn't satisfied with the stability during high-altitude maneuvers.

That VTOL of your's is pretty tight. One similarity is that helicopters take more power to hover (due to a certain aerodynamic effect I will not digress about); so in essence, the thrust reduction of your engines while stationary is kind of an analogue to a helicopter's hovering limitations. But yeah, I plan to revisit my XV-series in the near future as well.

EDIT: That's genius to use the small fixed nosewheels for under the skids, why didn't I think of that? Come to think of it, I could use the entire small gear lineup to give my XV-A an AH-64 style layout...darn it, I'm gonna have to play with my XV-series stuff today now...

Edited by Raptor9

[quote name='Raptor9']
That VTOL of your's is pretty tight. One similarity is that helicopters take more power to hover [SIZE=1](due to a certain aerodynamic effect I will not digress about)[/SIZE]; so in essence, the thrust reduction of your engines while stationary is kind of an analogue to a helicopter's hovering limitations. But yeah, I plan to revisit my XV-series in the near future as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm probably going to try rebuilding it though because right now range is so poor it's not really useful for much. Because the wing area is so small and the thrust from the two Junos is so low it can't support itself in level flight without some help from the lift jets, so it burns way more fuel than it needs too. Also, it's not too useful with a payload as even though it has a theoretical max TWR of over 2.5, which should mean it could just about lift 15 tonnes, right now the engines start to run out of air before 4.5 tonnes.

The plan is more wing area (testing just strapping wings on practically doubled fuel economy by not needing lift jets in forward flight), maybe more forward thrust, more fuel, and possibly using the Mk1 intake fuselage somehow since it looks like it's the best static intake.

The latest line-up of extreme performance aircraft.  These craft are so much fun to fly. :)

Extreme%20Performance%20Line-up%20With%2

Available for download via KerbalX links on the first page.  And don't forget to check them out in action in the Raptor Aerospace 2.0 video.

2 minutes ago, JWOC said:

When will the SVR-16 be rleased? 

-JWOC

I've actually been going through final testing this weekend.  The design is done, I just have to do some payload and performance tests, and generate a brochure print (aka, pretty picture for the KerbalX link).  I'm trying to finish it tonight, but it may be tomorrow.

Just now, Raptor9 said:

I've actually been going through final testing this weekend.  The design is done, I just have to do some payload and performance tests, and generate a brochure print (aka, pretty picture for the KerbalX link).  I'm trying to finish it tonight, but it may be tomorrow.

Ok cool 

5 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Spaceplane development never stopped with the SVR-10 'Thunderbird' and SVR-16 'Ranger'...

SR-19%20amp%20SVR-20%20Preview_zpshs7s72

...more mission-focused designs are in development

Speaking of the SVR-10, my 1.0.5 replication doesn't pack the dV. What are the chances of a craft file?

1 hour ago, Captain Sierra said:

Speaking of the SVR-10, my 1.0.5 replication doesn't pack the dV. What are the chances of a craft file?

There should be a KerbalX download link in each craft spoiler tag on the first page. Is the link broken? I'll test it once I get home.

9 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

There should be a KerbalX download link in each craft spoiler tag on the first page. Is the link broken? I'll test it once I get home.

No that was a misenterpretation on my end. What that shoud read as: "how soon can I get that SSTO pictured left?"

On 12/13/2015 at 8:47 PM, Captain Sierra said:

No that was a misenterpretation on my end. What that shoud read as: "how soon can I get that SSTO pictured left?"

SoonTM.  I still have to finish a few more tests.  I do this with all my craft.  It may seem good to go in the SPH, but I run it through an entire mission (and a few other small tests) to ensure there's no oversights on my part.  Example: Going up to LKO to dock with a space station to realize I didn't pack enough monopropellant for rendezvous and docking maneuvers.  And of course generate a brochure "print" for it. :P

EDIT: And it's live.

SR-19A%20Valkyrie%20Small_zpsniwvsscv.pn     

Edited by Raptor9
Repaired image url

On 11/29/2014, 1:54:09, Raptor9 said:

This is a VTOL transport (formerly known as the X-19 at the time of posting) that I built using Nertea's Mk IV Spaceplane System

screenshot36_zps19ac5c3d.png

screenshot38_zps7f8a6b6c.png

screenshot39_zpse593a31a.png

Nertea's Mk IV release thread

Hello! This is my first time ever posting here, though I've been an avid lurker on this forum for a few months now. I'm curious as to how you got the wings to rotate like that in flight. I've been trying to figure it out for some time, and the answer eludes me. I feel like it's obvious and I just keep missing it. Could somebody please help?

2 hours ago, BlastedOutTheAirlock said:

Hello! This is my first time ever posting here, though I've been an avid lurker on this forum for a few months now. I'm curious as to how you got the wings to rotate like that in flight. I've been trying to figure it out for some time, and the answer eludes me. I feel like it's obvious and I just keep missing it. Could somebody please help?

Two words: Infernal Robotics

And welcome to the forums :D