Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

Hey, @Raptor9, I just wanted to share these two photos with you. The tests at point Raptor were a success and I just updated all the LV-3Cs. I really like the four way hub.

Warning, Spoiler in this Post!

Anyways, this is the first crew returning from the base to Low Munar Orbit (really low, about 4-6 kilometers).

8XSppKx.png

The above one is of the lander skimming a crater wall, you can even see the light reflecting off the surface.

Mc8r64O.png

And this one, is of course, the equatorial arch. I remembered I would be passing over it so I got prepared as I flew by. I haven't landed there in a while.

Maybe a new base? Point Falcon?

Alright, DMSP out.

Awesome. :) I can't wait to get to the point in my 1.1 career where I'm once again building stations and surface outposts using this stuff. As soon as I test an updated craft and I know it's working in 1.1.2, I re-publish it and move on to the next one. I still haven't gone beyond suborbital in my 1.1 career, so I have a ways to go.  Fortunately, I only have the EV-3 craft files and a few aircraft remaining to update.

Thanks for those screenshots @DMSP, nice to see the craft in action in 1.1.

@DMSP, I remember you using the EV-3 'Clipper' in the past (referenced from one of your earlier stories). I'm pretty far along in tackling a much needed update, and not just for 1.1 currency.  I've reduced the part count of a fully assembed EV-3 (with LV-4 lander attached) down to 326, about a 200 part reduction. I'm now operating in real-physics-time :); I can't wait to take it for a test mission to Duna tomorrow to see how the updated LV-4 handles.

Oh, and the price tag should be cheaper too.  I haven't done the hard numbers, but now that all the modules are launched via Rockomax 'Thunder' rockets, the fly-away cost should be cheaper. (The Lab/Hab module and LV-4 lander used to be lifted by Kerbodyne 'Titan' rockets)

21 hours ago, Kerbiter said:

Good job on these craft. I've been using them for a career mode, and building some satellites for some of the LVs to launch. Thanks for this.

You're welcome. :)  Always good to hear my designs work for other people besides me.

7 hours ago, DMSP said:

Hey, @Raptor9, will we be seeing the Ionic Interplanetary Spacecraft and Jeb's Nuclear Constellation missions?

Still love them.

Hopefully.  I haven't looked at these designs in 1.1 yet, too busy updating the already published craft files.  But I was working on updating the Constellation-style horizontal landers in 1.0.5 to get ahead of the game until 1.1 came out.  Adding new and/or better equipment, better deorbit and Duna entry sequence, etc.  Of course, you can still get the EV-4 'Longship' MEV (Copernicus MTV type spacecraft); that's already available and updated to 1.1.2.

EDIT: The updated EV-3 and associated pre-fitted modules/lifters will be released in the next couple days sometime (Saturday at the absolute latest).  Test mission went wonderfully, the EV-3 (even though it consists of 7 orbitally-assembled modules docked together) is rock solid during RCS maneuvering and full-throttle burns.  I'm quite satisfied with the improvements.

EDIT 2: EV-3 'Clipper' and all associated craft files for building it in orbit are updated and reuploaded to KerbalX.  I'll need to update some of the Engineer's Notes on the OP this weekend.  I'll be away from my computer next couple days.

Edited by Raptor9

@Raptor9 and everyone else here, you are getting a first look into a new career story coming out after Paler Blue Dot (link in my sig) finishes. The Kaishland Aeronautics and Space Agency "Javelin" missile with a dummy thermonuclear warhead attached.

5ymUfgA.png

Thx for the craft @Raptor9 (the warhead is all me though)

Edited by Kerbiter

Wanted to share a link here for some really cool documents to read (if you want to put yourself to sleep :P).  Last year, I read through most of the volumes of the IMIS study of 1968, which is what the EV-3 'Clipper' is based on.  Some really interesting concepts developed back then for a Mars mission after Apollo.  A lot of technical data in there, but some really fascinating concept diagrams as well.

Now that I've had some time to play a proper career (haven't done that since last summer :rolleyes:), I've finally gotten to the point where I'm over the initial funds/science grind and I'm doing my first missions to the Mun.  I don't know why, but my 3rd Mun landing mission has had one photo opportunity after another.  Maybe I'm just enjoying playing with my own craft designs instead of the relentless 1.1 update testing as of late :P.

Munar%204%20Mission%20Bill%20amp%20Melri

As I was coming around the dark side of Kerbin performing my trans-Munar injection burn, I was greeted by a Munar eclipse.  In the main portion of the photo I've just extracted my LV-1B 'Frog' lander from the spent 'Titan 5' upper stage.  The Munar insertion burn was tricky since I had to enter into a polar orbit.  My target landing site was near the south pole, since my contract required me to take several temperature readings at three different sites "down under".  After I inserted into a 25km circular polar orbit, I came around the bottom of the moon while Bill and Melrie transferred into the lander, and I saw Kerbin peeking at me above the Mun's horizon (top right inset).

Even though I had put my orbit over the landing site, the landing itself was still a handful, requiring several course corrections and searching near the edge of a crater to find a level enough place to set the 'Frog' down.  The B-model LV-1 already sacrifices some fuel capacity to carry a rover, so by the time I landed, I had about 3% fuel remaining in the descent stage (however that's more than enough to power the lander's fuel cell through the entirety of the ground exploration phase).  I had to take a break from KSP for a while, so the contract survey phase will be later tonight.  But Bill already hopped out to plant the flag and unpack the ER-1 'Rat' rover, while Melrie took some good ol' science data in the field lab on the side of the descent stage (bottom right inset).  After getting a surface sample, Melrie hopped back in the lander, followed by Bill after he set the parking brake on the rover.  They'll have some snacks before setting off in the rover later.  Should be a fun drive. :cool:

Edited by Raptor9

Craft update time.  The first is a brand new design, the SR-21B 'Phoenix'.  A payload-version of the SR-21A, it's capable of carrying 3 tons to LKO, and also utilizes the new Mk2 Inline cockpit.

SR-21B%20Phoenix%20Small_zpskkbrupvg.png     X-7%20High%20AoA%20Flight%20Test%20Small

The second update is a redesigned X-7 that might as well be brand-new.  The original X-7 wasn't a design I really cared for, but this new one is much more stable, and also much closer to it's real-life influence, the JAS 39 "Gripen", an awesome light fighter.  I'm really satisfied with this new and improved X-7. :)

Additionally, I've also updated the latest optimized SR-21A, as well as updated the X-14 Unmanned Flight Test to have a better wheel suspension.

Edited by Raptor9
repaired img url

Whew, I finally finished my Station Module subassembly revamp.  As the SM list grew I had to split the original graphic into three separate prints, and added a certain theme to each category, much the same way I did with the Rocket Market launchers.  Along with the KerbalX link to the SM hanger, I've also expanded the VAB>Space Station section to include a series of example space stations that can be assembled with the SM subassemblies.  Each example station has each module labeled so anybody can accurately select which modules they need to download to recreate say "Mir" or the ISS.

Choosing which modules to use for a space station will carry certain pros and cons.  The Rockomax/Probodobodyne modules are expensive, however they can generally perform their own rendezous and docking, eliminating the need for an expensive/complicated delivery system.  Plus, each of these modules can power themselves, eliminating the requirement for additional, dedicated power generation modules.

The modules produced by Jeb's Junkyard/Integrated Integrals are much cheaper, but must be delivered by something like a space shuttle equipped with several EMU's, or some other spacecraft that can handle a large payload placement onto a station.  Not to mention that if you want to power those modules, you will need to purchase and launch something from Dinkelstein/Maxo Construction line-up to power/control/cool those modules.

Edited by Raptor9

On 6/4/2016 at 8:37 PM, Andem said:

Is there a way to get KVV to go to the same angle on every section? Or are you using some sort of trickery...

Not so much trickery, just technique.  I set a template craft file, that is built to mark certain angles and such, in the correct orientation in the VAB/SPH KVV window. I toggle the KVV off, then I open the craft that I want to take a KVV picture of, and it will be in the same orientation as the previous when I toggle KVV on.  Then I open another, and take a picture, and another, and so on.

A couple caveats.  You of course may need to re-center/re-size the KVV window for the next craft file if it's something drastically different in size/shape, but that's easy.  If you exit the VAB/SPH, it will reset the KVV orientation settings so you will have to pan around again to set your view angle.

Edited by Raptor9

@DMSP, I've been working on that ion-powered interplanetary craft you were asking about.  Tentatively designated the EV-5 (no name yet), I've based the ship's truss on my space station truss, and it's much more sturdy and robust.  I've added an improved propulsion section, better solar array arms, and an upgraded habitat/lab module.  The craft not only works better than the prototype from Red Planet Rivals, but it has more delta-V as well (over 7000 :)); and it's much easier to assemble in orbit (only 3 launches).

The next step will be to finish updating the Duna lander that will be attached to the front of the EV-5, which I anticipate will take more time, but I'm looking forward to it.  The latest variant of the EV-5 is turning out awesome, can't wait to take it on a test mission.

EDIT: Preview image
EV-5%20Preview%20with%20Text_zpslxxiaaf3

Edited by Raptor9

It has been a heavy KSP weekend for me, and you'll see why in the following post.  Lot's of new stuff published, as well as some updates.  Yesterday I updated my LV-3B Mun research lander to have better comms and power generation to actually support ongoing research in a Processing Lab; also updated the BM-H Habitation and BM-PL Processing Lab Mun base modules for lower part count and better solar power generation as well.  Now on to the new stuff...

The following craft files (6 VAB files & 1 subassembly) has probably been the most complex series of designs I've attempted in KSP ever (although my shuttle development was a hoot :P). As previewed in the post above, and prototyped in my video "Red Planet Rivals", I've finally published the EV-5 'Drifter' SEPTV (Solar Electric Propulsion Transfer Vehicle) and supporting landers/lifters.  The entire mission concept is Duna-centric and inspired by Boeing's Path to Mars mission architecture.  Using an ion-powered "tug" and a pair of landers, my Kerbals now have a full compliment of craft files for a long-duration Duna expedition (EV-3-based mission only allowed a brief Apollo-style Duna landing, and EV-4-based mission set hasn't had it's lander/surface components matured yet).

Edited by Raptor9

47 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

I absolutely love the drifter ship. What sort of thrust to weight ratio are you getting on it with the ion engines? 

Not sure the actual TWR number.  During my test mission, while departing Kerbin under ion power, I had an acceleration of 0.5 m/s per second; that was with an LV-3D and EV-5 Hab/Lab module on the front of the SEP truss, with a full load of xenon and monopropellant (something like 85 to 90 tons).  After I dropped the lander off at Duna and the crew returned to the EV-5, I departed Duna at 0.8 m/s per second acceleration; craft mass was down to around 55 tons IIRC.  And by the time I returned to stable medium Kerbin orbit (MKO), I was at around 50 tons with an acceleration of 0.9 m/s per second.

This was a worst case scenario mission to test the EV-5 limits.  I departed with the heaviest load I envisioned needing to carry: LV-3D and EV-5 Hab, from the worst place possible: MKO, and returning to the worst place possible: MKO.  I ended up using ~95% of my xenon by the time I returned.  Ideally, the EV-5 would be staged from Munar orbit, or from a high Kerbin orbit between the Mun and Minmus; and it would return to the same staging point after coming back from Duna.  It takes a lot of delta-V, time, and xenon to spiral the orbit up or down to/from any Kerbin orbit below roughly 1,500 km.  However, a 90 ton ship departing from medium Kerbin orbit using ion engines isn't too shabby in my opinion, with or without a Kick stage.

Edited by Raptor9

I've just seen your work, and it's seriously impressive, all the way from the fact that you've constructed a common launch system of sorts, to the detail and functionality in the payloads. I'm extremely blown away by it! As I'm working up to my latest cinematic project, and designing the craft, I think the biggest problem I'm going to have is avoiding borrowing ideas from you! You just have so many good ones in terms of design. Very well done. Keep up the awesome stuff! 

Edited by MrMeeb

On 6/14/2016 at 4:09 PM, MrMeeb said:

I've just seen your work, and it's seriously impressive, all the way from the fact that you've constructed a common launch system of sorts, to the detail and functionality in the payloads. I'm extremely blown away by it! As I'm working up to my latest cinematic project, and designing the craft, I think the biggest problem I'm going to have is avoiding borrowing ideas from you! You just have so many good ones in terms of design. Very well done. Keep up the awesome stuff! 

Thanks for the compliments. :) If you see something you like, use it. The two reasons I share these craft files is so either someone can use or improve on my craft design techniques; or if someone just wants to fly the game, and not do any building, they can just download what they want to use without doing in-depth engineering and testing.

The only thing I would ask is that if you use any of the craft files directly, just credit them.  A lot of meticulous design, testing, re-design, re-testing, tweaking, and refinement goes into these. :)

Edited by Raptor9

On 6/18/2016 at 0:05 PM, DMSP said:

@Raptor9, The EV-5 Drifter looks amazing! I'm sure it would be very useful for a Asteroid Mission!

Thanks. :) That would certainly be an application to test out in the future.

Meanwhile, I'm building 'Frontier Outpost' in my Career save, the first time ever doing something like this outside of a simple test mission.  In doing so, I've found a few deficiencies to tweak to make these base modules and LV-3C cargo landers work better.  Namely, I had so much fuel left over in the LV-3C's, I'm thinking each could make another trip to low Munar orbit and back again without refueling.  That being the case, I'm retrofitting each LV-3C to a common standard (BM-H Hab and BM-PL Lab LV-3C's had different docking port configs than the smaller modules on the lift racks), and putting a docking port on the bottom of the BM-H and BM-PL's.  This will enable the LV-3C's to be reused in more ways.

The architecture would go something like this:
1) 1st base module selected will launch on an LV-3C cargo lander on top of a Titan 3M rocket. (very expensive)
2) LV-3C returns to low Munar orbit after dropping off 1st module on Munar surface
3) 2nd module will launch on a LITE reusable upper stage on top of a "Lightning" medium rocket (less expensive)
4) LITE upper stage delivers 2nd module to low Munar orbit and rendezvouses with LV-3C
5) LV-3C delivers 2nd module to surface base while LITE upper stage returns to low Kerbin orbit
6) Simple payload rocket ('Thunder 3' most likely) launches 3rd module with over-fueled upper stage to vicinity of LITE upper stage's orbit (relatively cheap)
7) LITE rendezvouses and docks with 3rd module, tops off fuel supply, and then returns to low Munar orbit to rendezvous with LV-3C again (If ISRU system is in place on Munar surface, LV-3C is refueled and reused as many times as necessary)
-----or-----
7) If LV-3C doesn't have enough fuel remaining for another round trip to Munar orbit and back, and ISRU doesn't exist to refuel it, 3rd module is launched on a fresh LV-3C/Titan 3M and process begins over again

Frontier%20Outpost%20Phase%201_zpsdlfiqo

I'm still working on a Mun surface ISRU infrastructure in the form of a family of interconnecting rovers.  The previous effort was just too high in part count to be practical.  Even so, I'm planning on having a mining/refinery site 5km away from the surface outpost to keep the part counts low in each physics bubble.  Fortunately, since the existing LV-3A/LV-3C landers have small docking ports already on them, they're already set up to support refueling operations.

Edited by Raptor9